NVG Mod

I'm having some confusion as to the proper edit for the recompiled effects in the graphics.cfg. I know it is supposed to be like this:

Before:

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

After:

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

//mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

However (1.2.7), mine looks like this when I open it:

recompiledEffects =

{

mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_FOR_UNCHANGED_FILES";

--mode = "USE_PRECOMPILED_EFFECTS_ONLY";

}

So what do I do?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Have you tried it with the file like this? Mine is working fine in 1.2.7.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

What all steps are required to get this mod to work in the fashion of the images provided? I mean the NVG monocle? I have 1.2.7 and have installed exactly to the instructions, however when I turn on NVGs via Rshift + h, I only see the default NVGs. Thanks for your help!!!

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Are you flying the A-10C, the Ka-50, or both?

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone one gotten this mod working in 1.2.8? I'm getting a crash when I try to use it and I'm pretty useless when it comes to .lua

ty in advance!

Just tried it and it works for me.

What kind of crash do you get? Perhaps post the DCS.log?

Just tried it and it works for me.

What kind of crash do you get? Perhaps post the DCS.log?

:doh: I've forgotten to edit the graphics.lua

I'm guessing that's the issue, when I get I chance to try it again later today I'll report back.

Thanks!

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Have anyone tried this mod in the F-15C yet?

When I tried it back in the day I could only get NVGs to work with the attack aircraft in the FC3 set (i.e. Su-25A/T, A-10A). None of the fighters would accept the commands.

That said, if the plane will accept NVGs to begin with, then the mod will work.

:doh: I've forgotten to edit the graphics.lua

I'm guessing that's the issue, when I get I chance to try it again later today I'll report back.

Thanks!

:doh::doh:

Okay, so I guess editing the graphics.lua is no longer necessary. Back to square one, here's the DCS.log:

dcs log.zip

Edited by SmokeyTheLung

here's the juicy bit:

00045.058 WARNING LOG: 7 duplicate message(s) skipped.
00045.058 ERROR   DXRENDERER: Transparency AA:, S_OK
00045.152 ERROR   DXRENDERER: Can't create effect: postmotioneffect/nightvisiongoogle/nvd.fx. Reason: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvd.fx(51,14): warning X3207: Initializer used on a global 'const' variable. This requires setting an external constant. If a literal is desired, use 'static const' instead.
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvd.fx(73,10): error X1507: failed to open source file: './nvg_mod.hlsl'
00045.153 INFO    DCS: try to write dump information
00045.735 INFO    EDCORE: Minidump created.
00045.735 INFO    DCS: try to write track file

:doh::doh:

Okay, so I guess editing the graphics.lua is no longer necessary. Back to square one, here's the DCS.log:

You haven't installed the mod properly - you missed one file.

from your dcs.log: failed to open source file: './nvg_mod.hlsl'

You haven't installed the mod properly - you missed one file.

from your dcs.log: failed to open source file: './nvg_mod.hlsl'

Checking on that now. Thanks!

I just copied the mod over from 1.2.7 via JSGME so I'm both surprised and not so surprised that I managed to screw it up :D

Damn, same problem. All files appear to be in place

00045.062 WARNING LOG: 7 duplicate message(s) skipped.
00045.062 ERROR   DXRENDERER: Transparency AA:, S_OK
00045.071 ERROR   DXRENDERER: Can't create effect: postmotioneffect/nightvisiongoogle/nvd.fx. Reason: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvd.fx(51,14): warning X3207: Initializer used on a global 'const' variable. This requires setting an external constant. If a literal is desired, use 'static const' instead.
C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvd.fx(73,10): error X1507: failed to open source file: './nvg_mod.hlsl'
00045.071 INFO    DCS: try to write dump information
00045.219 INFO    EDCORE: Minidump created.
00045.219 INFO    DCS: try to write track file

Damn, same problem. All files appear to be in place

00045.062 WARNING LOG: 7 duplicate message(s) skipped.
00045.062 ERROR   DXRENDERER: Transparency AA:, S_OK
00045.071 ERROR   DXRENDERER: Can't create effect: postmotioneffect/nightvisiongoogle/nvd.fx. Reason: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvd.fx(51,14): warning X3207: Initializer used on a global 'const' variable. This requires setting an external constant. If a literal is desired, use 'static const' instead.
00045.071 INFO    DCS: try to write dump information
00045.219 INFO    EDCORE: Minidump created.
00045.219 INFO    DCS: try to write track file

DCS tries to load the file

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\PostMotionEffect\NightVisionGoogle\nvg_mod.hlsl

Can you confirm that it exists? And that it is readable (i.e. open it with a text editor)?

If all seems ok, perhaps you do a DCS Repair and then install the mod directly from the original zip file again - according to the installation instrucitons, so that really nothing is amiss.

Hi. I'm so sorry if this was discussed before (I did quick search, but no found).

Whenever I see this thread, same thing comes in my mind:

I'm myopic. I use glasses for my eyes. But I don't see a single circle. Instead, I see wide ellipse shape.

Same; does a pilot who uses this device see a single circle, or ellipse view like the original shape of DCS?

attachment.php?attachmentid=76295&stc=1&d=1358809183

As I wrote, if this discussed this, I'll shut up. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Just got this from here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/111150/

( I assume it's the correct one), it looks great, but there's a small amount of zoom through the goggles that slightly magnifies everything in them, is this supposed to happen?

EDIT - also noticing that all buttons and switches in the NVG's perspective become unclickable, then normal again when NVGs are disabled.

Anybody got a fix for both? ^^

Edited by GC1993

Hi. I'm so sorry if this was discussed before (I did quick search, but no found).

Whenever I see this thread, same thing comes in my mind:

I'm myopic. I use glasses for my eyes. But I don't see a single circle. Instead, I see wide ellipse shape.

Same; does a pilot who uses this device see a single circle, or ellipse view like the original shape of DCS?

As I wrote, if this discussed this, I'll shut up. :)

Good question. I would expect it to look more like a circle than an ellipse, although maybe not such a perfect circle that we have with this mod. If you look through a binocular, you see two circles - if it isn't set up properly. But if it is set up optimal for your eyes, both circles are "merged" together into one by your brain and thus providing a 3d image. But the outer limits of the lenses, etc. are still round shaped ... but one can probably not really see it if you don't focus on it. It is just a blurry dark area in your peripheral vision.

I would NVGs function similar in this respect.

Just got this from here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/111150/

( I assume it's the correct one), it looks great, but there's a small amount of zoom through the goggles that slightly magnifies everything in them, is this supposed to happen?

EDIT - also noticing that all buttons and switches in the NVG's perspective become unclickable, then normal again when NVGs are disabled.

Anybody got a fix for both? ^^

That link is a different NVG mod, it seems. Check out the very first posting in this thread.

And that slight zoom effect is intentional, but also heavily debated in this thread. It looks cool, but is probably not realistic. And a side effect is that the coordinates where you want to click are shifted a bit as the mouse pointer itself is not zoomed.

edit:

And yes, that zoom effect can be configured or even disabled for the NVG mod this thread is about. Again, check posting #1 :o)

That link is a different NVG mod, it seems. Check out the very first posting in this thread.

And that slight zoom effect is intentional, but also heavily debated in this thread. It looks cool, but is probably not realistic. And a side effect is that the coordinates where you want to click are shifted a bit as the mouse pointer itself is not zoomed.

edit:

And yes, that zoom effect can be configured or even disabled for the NVG mod this thread is about. Again, check posting #1 :o)

It's the same one I think actually, the README that comes with the file is the same as the text in post 1.

As for the zoom customisation, I saw it in the code, but I don't really understand it. The relevant part (I think) is:

"// Changes the Circle rendering mode.

//

// 0 = Circle without zoom

// 1 = Circle with zoom

// 2 = Fullscreen without zoom.

//

const int RENDER_MODE = 1;"

But I went through the fx file and couldn't find which part to alter? Is it in the HLSL file? I'm not that sharp on mods as you can tell so please excuse my slowness in this area.

It's the same one I think actually, the README that comes with the file is the same as the text in post 1.

As for the zoom customisation, I saw it in the code, but I don't really understand it. The relevant part (I think) is:

"// Changes the Circle rendering mode.

//

// 0 = Circle without zoom

// 1 = Circle with zoom

// 2 = Fullscreen without zoom.

//

const int RENDER_MODE = 1;"

But I went through the fx file and couldn't find which part to alter? Is it in the HLSL file? I'm not that sharp on mods as you can tell so please excuse my slowness in this area.

Well, the mod that you linked to IS a different mod - different user, different files, older, etc. :o)

But anyways, you DO seem to use the mod of this thread. To configure this, open the file nvg_mod.hsl with Notepad++ and search for the line "const int RENDER_MODE" (should be at line 68).

There just change

const int RENDER_MODE =
;

to

const int RENDER_MODE =
;

Thats it. :o)