Cougar MFDs and Helios/Hawgtouch

Well I'm getting more and more into this sim :)

I've figured out how to export my MFCDs on a second screen (using the very helpful advice on this forum) and it looks great. However looking to the side but still pressing buttons in the cockit wasn't much good so I've ordered some Cougar MFDs which should be arriving this week. Very excited :lol:

So that left me wondering what to do with the rest of the space on my second monitor. I've seen Helios and Hawgtouch mentioned on here but I'm unsure of a couple of things.

a) what the difference is between the 2 and why I'd use one over the other

b) can I fill the space left over from my exported MFCDs using one of these apps, or do they need their own dedicated screen to run on?

Cheers!

p.s. I'm now close to ordering a Warthog HOTAS as well :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

Close to ordering? What are you waiting for? Money? Yeah that is always a consideration :)

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Ha! The WH is most certainly worth it's money ;) At least for me! Other's cannot justify it.. I for one would buy another one if this one breaks.

Re. Helios/Hawgtouch: I've got no idea what hawgtouch is, so I cannot help you with that. Yes you can fill the excess space with helios stuff, no problem.

So i can make the A-10 screen resolution just big enough to use the space for the MFCDs on the 2nd display, then use Helios to grab the rest.

I'd have thought the game itself would want to grab the whole of both screens..... Will have to have a play around I guess :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

I find that Helios was more configurable than Hawgtouch but I did use both successfully and liked them both. With the powerful configuration capabilities of Helios comes a higher learning curve but I'm glad I climbed it. There's some solid profiles out there that if not suitable to you out-of-the-box will serve as a great template.

I've considered the Saitek MFD's in the past but with Helios and my 1280x1024 touchscreen I can make my MFD's much bigger than the Saitek. I wouldn't turn down free ones mind you but I just don't need them with Helios.

Check my sig if you want to see how I've implemented Helios into my "office."

PC Specs

• Intel i5-4670k@ 4.5Ghz
  • 16GB of Corsair what difference does it make RAM
  • nVidia EVGA GTX 760
  • Couple SSD's and a couple mechanical drives
  • 27" Acer LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080)
  • 19" ELO Touchscreen (1280 x 1024)
  • :joystick: Saitek X-52
  • :joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals
  • TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
  • Helios running custom profile for A10C based on Loz's profile.

Had a play with the Loz SM profile on the Helios site last night and it's very cool indeed!

I've got some issues (my 2nd screen is only 1280x1024) so things have to squash abit (which I guess means the sizes will be wrong when I get the Cougar MFDs) but I can play around to rearrange things to my liking.

Seems a bit odd that some switches in Helios are clickable, but others like say Gun Arm etc aren't (but do display the correct state if you flick the switch in the 3D cockpit).

Is that correct? It kinda means I can't replace using the 3D cockpit by using Helios....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

I made a simple helpful video on the simplest ways to Setup your multiple monitors/MFD screens using a simple free program. You don't need an ipad or to even use Hawgtouch to utilize it to help setup monitors an gauges to the perfect size u want. Even if you use Helios which is really nice.

The how to video is in my signature HowToVideoHawgTouch Use it for HeliosToo! Skip ahead in the video to about 2:35 seconds That will help you the most.

Basically the Long & the Short is.

HawgTouch works best for DCSA10 v1.1.1.1 Standalone. But not working correctly for DCSWorld

Helios for everything else.

Edited by thinkr

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series