CSAR mission - Shore campaign - AAR

WildBillKelsoe

Just finished the three hour mission from Shore campaign. Lone F-16 shot down in Russian airspace, a 4 ship A-10 flight, callsign Hog-1-4 departed from Sukhumi Babushara airbase to participate in the search.

We took off in tandem at 14:00 hrs zulu. As I approached WP:HP, I anchored second element in case the first wave (me and my wingman) were unsuccessful. An overhead battle took place between 2 F-15s and 2 Mig-29's. Somehow, I managed to stay below 3000 feet in the middle of AOR and avoided radar detection, although on numerous occasions, I got reports of spikes from no.2

I located and VID'd the survivor. He lit a green smoke (that somehow kept on for 2.5 hours right until Dodge 1-1, the rescue element on hold at WP:HP 'Hold Point', picked him up).

As an additional safety, I popped 2 willy pete markers next to him to guide my AI wingman to strafe and rifle some 4-5 BMP-3's. As we took turns on targets, at maximum speed, I discovered my fuel was getting dangerously short. It was between 4000-4500 lbs, and time now coming short.

I couldn't raise Magic, our on-site CAOC, to ask for home plate bearing and distance, and now with just battle damaged left MFCD, I took 2 more low altitude passes at high speed to ensure all nearby enemies to the survivor won't preclude a near pickup by the lone chopper burning gas, and sandwiched between an earlier quadruplet of SA-3's, partly destroyed by F-16's SEAD flights in the package.

As time drew to 15:06, fuel at 4000 lbs, and wingman and second element RTB'd to avoid extra CSAR duty in Commie territory, I called Dodge and had them ingress straight from the south towards the north.

Some minutes later, I got calls of Dodge getting fired upon.

Seriously??!!!

I immediately floor the throttles to get into a 10/2 o'clock position eye on pickup spot and possibly eliminate the shooter before they bring down another craft and ruin the day. There they are! A squad size of riflemen, with red tracers shooting at the helicopter. By the time I was in for a strafe, Dodge had already picked up the survivor and is now departing to egress.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..... BRRRRRRRRRRRR...... I shot two, 1 second bursts in ARM mode, wrestling the natural recoil from gunfire and barfed two flares as I rolled off.

On the TGP, I had these happy soldiers crawling in the newly created craters from rounds shot. Now is the time to egress. I get confirmation from Dodge that they're feet wet. Now I've just hit 50% score. With 3500 lbs onboard, I decided not to stoop the plane higher than 1200 feet, and took the shortest heading to Sukhumi, which ran sandwiched between our ingress route and the now destroyed SA-3 sites. I get a RWR of <3> and decide not to panic because the SEAD boys immediately shout 'Magnum' on my AM radio. A quarter of an hour later, I get Sukhumi at 101 degrees at 75 miles. My speed turns down to 234 KIAs and I decide to keep a close eye for nearby fields just to land and order a refuel. Fortunately, my speed setting and altitude of 1200 feet helped avoid radar detection and got me to Sukhumi.

As I landed, I found all 3 of my wingman and the second element in place. I was worried for sometime since 2 had no SADL indication and I tried to raise him but failed.

Some days later (AAR) , I discover I whacked 19 objects and expended just 600 rounds of cum-bat mix. In the end, I met with the downed pilot and guess who he was:

Scott+O%27Grady.jpg

Scott '****EN' O'Grady!!!

Just kidding...

O'grady: Hey ED, why you publish my downing story in the form of campaign first mission????

ED: *Facepalm*....

Cheers

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

stay tuned for more <>(

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Nice AAR. Thanks for sharing Big Fella.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

you're welcome, mate! stay tuned!

• Like 1

Not sure if it is modelled in DCS but not a good ideer to pop Willie Peete next to your own troops. It will burn them to death. Willie Peete is meant to mark a target and also do a little damage to light vehicles and personnel.

• Like 1

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

Nice write up Wild Bill! I enjoyed the read. We can never get too many of these. Did you also write it up over at SimHQ? If not, you should.

PC Specs

• Intel i5-4670k@ 4.5Ghz
  • 16GB of Corsair what difference does it make RAM
  • nVidia EVGA GTX 760
  • Couple SSD's and a couple mechanical drives
  • 27" Acer LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080)
  • 19" ELO Touchscreen (1280 x 1024)
  • :joystick: Saitek X-52
  • :joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals
  • TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
  • Helios running custom profile for A10C based on Loz's profile.

Nice write up Wild Bill! I enjoyed the read. We can never get too many of these. Did you also write it up over at SimHQ? If not, you should.

Thanks, man. Yeah, SimHQ AAR bookmarked. I will post next AAR here and there too.

Not sure if it is modelled in DCS but not a good ideer to pop Willie Peete next to your own troops. It will burn them to death. Willie Peete is meant to mark a target and also do a little damage to light vehicles and personnel.

I wouldn't know. But smoke charges with ballistics, yeah I might say they do 'some' damage.

Willie Pete = WP = White Phosphorus => Effects on people

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

yeah. it does wreak havoc. SHIIIITTT!!!

Augh, that used to be a butt! I'll never complain about JTAC not marking targets again! OK, that's not true...

(Awesome AAR, by the way. I can't wait to do the other campaigns now that I finished the helpful tour up the theater's coast that is Georgian Hammer.)

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

Augh, that used to be a butt! I'll never complain about JTAC not marking targets again! OK, that's not true...

(Awesome AAR, by the way. I can't wait to do the other campaigns now that I finished the helpful tour up the theater's coast that is Georgian Hammer.)

Go ahead with Devils Cross.

Cool, that was my thinking. I took a peek at the first mission of all 3 Hog campaigns in the ME when I was teaching myself how to use it, and it seems like a good order in terms of a buildup of atmosphere and complexity.

Dang, I looked at that SIMHQ link and now I got the AAR bug...

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

Just how does one pop WP markers in the A-10C?

Interesting nick, 'Habu'..

You're not by chance THE 'Habu' from East Coast Demo team, are you? :D

Dylan Thorpe :)

Cool, that was my thinking. I took a peek at the first mission of all 3 Hog campaigns in the ME when I was teaching myself how to use it, and it seems like a good order in terms of a buildup of atmosphere and complexity.

Dang, I looked at that SIMHQ link and now I got the AAR bug...

Get busy :D