Finally reached a milestone

dburne

Thanks for the tip Hamblue, I expect that will come in very handy as I progress!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Something that helps me, is checking the warning panel on the right in front of the CDU (still noob myself, and I can't for the life of me think what it's called). I always check that all the lights are out before I taxi. Usually the APU is still on, and I haven't turned on the anti skid! Still feels like I'm doing a proper start, because I'm only referencing objects in the pit.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Thanks for that, yep I have already made a habit of checking the same myself.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I made a startup checklist of my own, originally with the goal of getting the INS alignment started as early as possible and then getting as much as possible done before it completes.

I did a lot of work on it since the first version, adding more items and moving things around so it flows better. Friends and I use it every time and it's still satisfying everytime we "beat" the INS alignment and end up having to wait for it to complete.

Try a high altitude bank hold with constant TGP view of target. Really increases situational awareness from 18 miles out.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I made a startup checklist of my own, originally with the goal of getting the INS alignment started as early as possible and then getting as much as possible done before it completes.

Case 1

Bat ON, Inverter ON, APU Start, CDU Switches (2x) ON. Wait for Master Caution to cease: voila! Alignment is starting. Is there a quicker way?

(INS aligned for take off, overall time: slower)

Case 2

Do not care: same steps, CDU Navpage, Align: press: INFLIGHT. Be quick. Be very quick. Take off w/o EGI and activate it when INS reaches 5.0.0.8.

(INS not aligned at T/O, no flight management and TAD work possible on the ground, overall time: quick, since you align on your way.)

What do you think?

[TABLE]91st Infantry Regiment "Oldenburger"

RRF Ranger Batallion 314 (AB)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC][/TABLE]

Note you can adjust slew rate from the cockpit.

I had that problem for over a month before I noticed that the slew control was tuned way down by default. You adjust it in the axis settings.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Then you will only miss the "nosewheel steering button"' date=' but you'll quickly realize when trying the first turn on the ground. :D[/quote']

ACTUALLY... I realise that when I am jammed against the oposite hanger doors

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 6700K, 32GB Corsair 2400Mhz, 970 NVMe 500Gb SSD, GeForce 2080 super, HP Reverb, VKB GF PRO, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster Pendular rudders, Windows + DCS :thumbup:

My youtube channel

Case 1

Bat ON, Inverter ON, APU Start, CDU Switches (2x) ON. Wait for Master Caution to cease: voila! Alignment is starting. Is there a quicker way?

(INS aligned for take off, overall time: slower)

You can ask the crew chief for ground power directly at mission start. After he confirms you can start aligning the INU by enabling the CDU and EGI switches. You still need the APU for engine start, so just continue the normal procedure except that you don't need the APU power generator AND you must ask for ground power disconnect before taxiing. I always have the INU fully aligned by the time I'm ready to flip the EAC on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

Some great and helpful tips here gang, many thanks.

Don B

You can ask the crew chief for ground power directly at mission start. After he confirms you can start aligning the INU by enabling the CDU and EGI switches.

Tuning in the Radio and/or switching to intercoms is not quicker to me than simply start APU and hit two switches at CDU. :book:

[TABLE]91st Infantry Regiment "Oldenburger"

RRF Ranger Batallion 314 (AB)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC][/TABLE]

Tuning in the Radio and/or switching to intercoms is not quicker to me than simply start APU and hit two switches at CDU. :book:

Very good point! I would indeed recommend to use the alignment phase to set a lot of things in the DSMS like EO time for MAVs, Profiles for Bombs, Lase Codes for GBUs, etc. it is much easier to prepare this stuff on the ground rather than mid flight.

Enter the ground wind layer in the LASTE > WIND setup for bomb drops or preparing the TAD map modes is also quite handy. Choose most precise map, set to MAN and now the map won't change when zooming in and out.

Another useful thing if changing lase codes is, to switch on and cool down the TGP after APU Gen power is available and adjust your TGPs Laser Code as well... :music_whistling:

I actually never "wait" for the alignment these days, cause there is plenty of things to do!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

And I have no idea what all that other stuff is, lol, but am sure I will be learning them here soon.

Thanks again for all the tips,

Don B

Note you can adjust slew rate from the cockpit.

Yes but not nearly enough with default settings.

By increasing in setup things got much better. The default ramp was almost a horizontal line.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Ok so now I know, I must move on in my training now.

Just created yet another fast mission - went through the startup procedures almost by heart. Got in the air, and headed toward my first steerpoint - or waypoint, whatever it is - and it obviously was the target area. As I am getting close I hear the radio chatter, so I go to F2 exterior view, and cycle through the F2 views - and I see some of my guys in AH-64's taking fire and going down, obviously trying to prepare a path for me.

So I have no idea whatsoever yet, on how to deploy a weapon, so I turn around and head back to the starting point, and land beautifully on the runway.

I felt pretty bad about that so, yes I think it is time to learn how to fight :).

I am liking this sim more and more!

Don B

You can simply shout at him as long as the canopy is open ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• CPU i7 4970k @ 4.7 GHz
  • RAM 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1600
  • ATX ASUS Z97-PRO
  • DSU Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD for Win10, Plextor M6e 128GB SSD for DCS exclusively, RAID-1 HDDs
  • GFX Aorus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Xtreme Edition, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, 27" with G-Sync, Oculus Rift CV1

• HID TM HOTAS Warthog + 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind pedals, TrackIR 5, Obutto oZone

My TM Warthog Profile + Chart, F-15C EM Diagram Generator

And I have no idea what all that other stuff is, lol, but am sure I will be learning them here soon.

Thanks again for all the tips,

You sure will! It is a step by step approach. Just keep in mind that after a while the complex startup procedure gets more like "starting the car " and you have spare time during alignment.

Well, that thingy about the wind corrections I actually learned some weeks ago... and I'm flying the hog since first beta some two years ago :doh:

So plenty of things to learn, even when you think you quite know your stuff. :D

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Before you attempt to air refuel, the best pratice is flying formation with the tanker. Maintain a comfortable distance all the way around the track and slowly close your distance with each circuit until you are within a few feet of the left wing (proper position). The tanker changes roll pretty quick when leveling off so you'll need to learn how fast to react and maintain formation.

Doing this with buddies makes TrackIR a necessity and expect to spend about 20X more hours before you complete your first full tank.

Tip - Up the curve on your pitch and roll axis to about 30 to flatten out the input ratio. This makes minor corrections much easier for maintaining position behind the boom. Trim for slight nose down so you have constant back pressure to maintain level flight. The stick should always be moving very small amounts. The throttle is much different, anticipating speed change is key and the hardest thing to learn.

You sure will! It is a step by step approach. Just keep in mind that after a while the complex startup procedure gets more like "starting the car " and you have spare time during alignment.

Yes I can see that now, ramp start is now getting pretty routine for me, can almost do it all without the checklist, but I keep it handy just for quick reference.

Before you attempt to air refuel, the best pratice is flying formation with the tanker. Maintain a comfortable distance all the way around the track and slowly close your distance with each circuit until you are within a few feet of the left wing (proper position). The tanker changes roll pretty quick when leveling off so you'll need to learn how fast to react and maintain formation.

Thanks for the tips, I am sure I am a long way off from learning how to refuel from a tanker, but know I will eventually get to that. The tips on the axis tuning i am sure will be a big help, I appreciate that. And yes , I would not fly without my Track IR5! I just wish ED had included head tracking on F2 exterior view as well - not necessariy for flying purposes, just on those occasions where I like to look at the exterior of my plane for a moment.

Oh well, I am off to the navigation tutorial and then the weapons tutorials.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I just wish ED had included head tracking on F2 exterior view as well - not necessariy for flying purposes, just on those occasions where I like to look at the exterior of my plane for a moment.

I use the "paddle" button on the stick as a modifier for the TRIM hat. When in exterior view I can thus hold the paddle with the pinky and use the hat for panning around the aircraft.

Shagrat

I use the "paddle" button on the stick as a modifier for the TRIM hat. When in exterior view I can thus hold the paddle with the pinky and use the hat for panning around the aircraft.

I actually tried that already, and had a lot of trouble with it.

I added the paddle as a modifier, and then assigned the appropriate hat positions for looking around whilst holding the paddle in. My problem was, while that worked it was still trimming the aircraft at the same time. I don't know maybe I did something wrong, but I gave up and just relegated to using the mouse to look around in exterior view.

Don B