Proposed change to Controller Assignments

Diemos

Would it be possible to combine control profiles so we have one tab covering "universal" functions, and the individual module tabs contain only the functions unique to that module?

For example, the axis functions Pitch/Roll/Yaw are probably "universal" to all the fixed wing aircraft, and odds are pretty good that the user will be using the same joystick to control each airframe... So why do we have to set up/refine those controls for EVERY aircraft?

You could probably even "interpret" those basic functions to the rotary wing airframes...

This could include "generic" switches, like battery, MFCD 1, and I'm sure many others could be realized.

Switches and controls unique to a given airframe would still need to be broken out, but having a single "universal" tab would be a Godsend as more and more airframes are added to the DCS universe!

I don't mean to be blunt, but you're kidding, right?!

Why would you not want to be able to set up a majority of your controls once, rather than four or five times? Why wouldn't you want to be able to make one tweak to an axis curve and have it propogate throughout your arsenal? Wouldn't you rather have to delete conflicting assignments once, rather than four or five times?

I'm starting to sound angry, but I'm really not... I just think anything that can be done to streamline the process of getting people into the air in a variety of aircraft, without having to spend hours fiddling with controller assignments is a good thing!

If DCS World is going to be introducing as many as 15 or 20 airframes, it could be literally days setting up control profiles with the current system, and MUCH of it is redundant...

No I'm not kidding. I can certainly see the argument for it. However, I'm not sure it'd work because of the fact that there would be very few similar controls. Look at your example: battery. The A-10C has 1 battery switch, the Ka-50 has 2. The Ka-50 doesn't have "MFCD's", it has a Shkval and an Abris. These kind of differences make it very difficult to make one uniform control list, unless off course you want to/can cut corners. Even more so on the axis. In the future you might have 2 aircraft, both twin engined. However: if you have the exact same axis settings, you are bound to those settings. My settings for the Warthog, Tango and Mustang are different (axis tuning I mean specifically then). So, following that: you will end up anyway tuning it for every individual aircraft.

Well stated...

I can see your point regarding the axis tuning. I guess I'm not sufficiently familiar with each aircraft to require seperate tunings...

But your contention that there "would be very few similar controls", I would have to say, look at the keyboard assignments. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of identical controls! Granted, they perform different functions within each airframe, but you press the same key combination to produce the desired result, therefore, it could be set once, and propagate throughout the system...

So how about this as a proposal:

On each controls tab you have a "Copy" button, which when clicked asks you which profile you would like to copy from, then it goes through and copies each relevant control, rather than requiring the user to do so.

For example, you have the A-10C control profile set up just as you like it, then you install FC3. You go to the Options > Controls > A-10A tab, click "Copy", select A-10C, and viola! Sit back and let the computer, well known for doing repetative tasks without complaint ;), go through and match any custom control settings...

That leaves you the option to go through and fine tune any individual settings, but still allows the user to get into the air with a minimum of time spent in the control options... And, of course, you would still have to go through and "fill in the blanks," but it would be a drop in the bucket compared to building each profile from scratch, as it currently does...

Diemos,

I totally agree with your last. I would like to transfer things like axis settings and some buttons, but without transferring an entire profile (which also blocks the ability to add some commands that you would like to map). I would be happy with a copy/paste for axis shaping or even a lua export for the analog axes only.