How to make a dogfight map ?

Torian

Can some1 direct me to where I can find info on how to make a map so I can host a dogfight server. I've made heaps of these in IL2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover but the mission builder in DCS is not overly intuative. I need to have Red and Blue bases to spawn in at (and respawn in at). And how do u enable aircraft identification icons. Built myself a small mission to duke it with some AI but can't seem to get icons to show. I don't usually have them on but as all planes are P51s I would like them on until I get used to recognising different skins.

Much appreciated.

Pick a couple of airbases and assign one to each side (click on the airbase in the ME then set it to red or blue).

You can't re-fuel / re-arm / repair at a base that's not part of your coalition.

Alternatively put a nice collection of ShoRAD in the base - stops vulching ( you might want to do that anyway :-) The presence of a coalitions ground forces at an airbase will 'capture' it.

As mentioned above - you have to manually add aircraft to each base one at a time as clients - & set whether you want them to spawn in the air, on the runway, or on the ramp cold & dark.

Weapons - not such an issue in the P-51, but if you wanted to ensure it was guns only with other aircraft, you could select the airbases, go to the resource manager and remove missiles, rockets and bombs from the airbases' inventories.

If you go to the options section of the GUI, you'll find a page that lets you turn labels on and off as a general option for your gameplay.

In the controls page - if you pick an aircraft you'll find (generic across all aircraft) keystrokes to selectively toggle ground, sea, air and weapon labels. - or one to turn them all on & off.

If you want slightly less intrusive labels for yourself, you can edit the .lua to make them display pretty much anything you want at any distance you think appropriate (a quick search on labels will get you many treads to chose form :-). You can't force your customised labels onto clients.

You'll find a tab in the ME called 'options' or 'mission options' which will let you set label on, and let you enforce that on clients if you want.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

Thx Weta for taking the time for the detailed explanation.

So the airbase is limited to the number of clients u create. Is fuel load out an option u can change when u select ur plane ingame or is designated by whatever I set it to in the ME ? Do I need to save the map anywhere in particular to be able to host it as a multiplayer DF map? Do I need to create one "player" spawn point for me if I'm hosting or can I select either side to join?

Is it normal to get an fps drop when engaging enemy AI? Definate slow down sometimes especially when watching AI firing guns.

Yes,

They'll start with the fuel given in the ME ,then they can re-fuel and re-arm as they wish (or as the Resource Manager allows).

You can browse to any location to find & load a mission.

Sorry, can't remember - mostly make SP missions - I think you have to be a 'client', not a 'player', but someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Deoends on your rig - they're complicated models - when I first got FC2 my FPS would drop looking at an Su-25T. Not any more.

Cheers.

Well my rig is pretty good. Intel i7 quad at 3.2Ghz, nVidia GTX 580 with 1.5gb of vram, 24gb of DDR3 at 1600mhz. This fps hit is quite bad when when mixin it up with a few AI. Even CloD with all its faults doesn't do this. I note that AI P51s that take off from a field don't close the wheel cover fully. AI spawned in already airborne are fine tho. Guess there are still a few bugs to iron out.