Setting the afterburner threshold

This is my current setting [saturation X must be adjusted for your thruster]:

dead zone=0

saturation X=66 [this is my setting; you adjust as needed to relocate the position of 100% MIL power which will be just at the detent, play with this number to fine tune as you like]

saturation Y=100

curvature=0

3 radio buttons=clear

I don't see how this could work. Could you please take a screenshot of your axis configuration on your throttle? The only way I could see this working is if you lose any throttle travel past the AB detent, and just stay at 100% or 101%.

I don't see how this could work. Could you please take a screenshot of your axis configuration on your throttle? The only way I could see this working is if you lose any throttle travel past the AB detent, and just stay at 100% or 101%.

For F-15 the saturation X=60

For MIG 29 the saturation X=66

Once in the AB it does not have any % control like in MIL power, it's either 100% on or 100% off. That's why it works perfectly for the MIGs and F-15 and SUs.

I don't have a website to link my screen shots, is there another way to include a jpg in my post?

Oh, so there are no degrees of power in burner, only full-on? Once you go burner that's 100% of the available power?

Yes that's correct and the way you can cross verify this is by tapping the + key on the numpad, you will see that it does not increase once in A/B.

Num+ Power Up

Num- Power Down

PageUp Thrust Up

PageDown Thrust Down

Num+ - RAlt Power Up Left

Num- - RAlt Power Down Left

PageUp - RAlt Thrust Up Left

PageDown - RAlt Thrust Down Left

Edited by fitness88

I'm speaking now both of the in-game aircraft and the real one. Then how come the nozzle changes shape depending on power setting while in AB?

And what is it that doesn't increase, a power gauge in the cockpit?

Thanks

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Once in the AB it does not have any % control like in MIL power, it's either 100% on or 100% off. ?

Oh, so there are no degrees of power in burner, only full-on? Once you go burner that's 100% of the available power?

I'm afraid you're incorrect. The F-15C, as it is modelled in DCS:FC3 and in real life, has an adjustable power output past the point at which the afterburner kicks in. Your settings do not allow this range to be accessed.

I'm afraid you're incorrect. The F-15C, as it is modelled in DCS:FC3 and in real life, has an adjustable power output past the point at which the afterburner kicks in. Your settings do not allow this range to be accessed.

Don't think so:

Cross verify this is by tapping the + and - key on the numpad once in A/B, you will see that it does not increase or decrease. If what you say is correct then your should see guage move once above 100% incrementaly but it doesn't.

Edited by fitness88

Don't think so:

Cross verify this is by tapping the + and - key on the numpad once in A/B, you will see that it does not increase or decrease. If what you say is correct then your should see guage move once above 100% incrementaly but it doesn't.

Do this for me: Set up a straight linear response curve on your throttle. Start up an F-15C and go full throttle. Your afterburner will kick in. Adjust your throttle down a small amount. Your engine RPM will reduce (you should be able to hear this and see it on your dials) but your afterburner will still be on, and remain on until you continue to lower your throttle past the AB cutoff point.

I use various levels of afterburner frequently.

Do this for me: Set up a straight linear response curve on your throttle. Start up an F-15C and go full throttle. Your afterburner will kick in. Adjust your throttle down a small amount. Your engine RPM will reduce (you should be able to hear this and see it on your dials) but your afterburner will still be on, and remain on until you continue to lower your throttle past the AB cutoff point.

I use various levels of afterburner frequently.

Yes I did exactly as you asked and what I found was that my throttle was out of calibration when I did what you said [so I changed it back]. This means that when I hit the physical detent I was only at 95% MIL. To achieve 100% MIL power at the detent before it goes into A/B I need to have the following settings:

For F-15 the saturation X=60

For MIG 29 the saturation X=66

As I previously mentioned:

Once in the A/B it [RPM guage] does not have any % control like in MIL power, it's either 100% [maybe 101%] on or 100% off. That's why it works perfectly for the MIGs and F-15 and SUs [for X52Pro users].

The guage movement is frozen once you past into A/B. And yes you are correct the nozzels do move when you throttle A/B past the 100% detent indicating change in A/B power but you can't get any guage movement to indicate what % you are at which should happen considering the RPM guage goes to 110%.

I'm curious did the nozzel movement only come into play with 1.2.3, I don't remember seeing it work prior.

Thanks for the info and correction.

Edited by fitness88

Additionally tjhowse:

I checked the F-15 EGT, speed and nozzel position guages; all support various degrees of A/B power. The MIG confirmed this as well, [except there is no nozzel position], it would be interesting to see the difference in fuel flow but we'll have to wait until the F-15 gets its guage fixed.

I think I remember the F-15 nozzel position guage working before v1.2.3 but I don't remember seeing A/B flames or nozzel movement on the F-15 or MIG until v1.2.3.

What's your thoughts on this and thanks again for setting me straight?

Should the engine RPM even change? I mean, AB is just injecting fuel after the turbine stage of the engine, right?

Yes what you say makes sense so why would there be markings above 100% unless the turbines can perform above 100% MIL power. Looking at the nozzle position or the EGT, you can determine what stage of A/B your in.

Edited by fitness88

A couple of points:

I just realised the X52pro throttle has tick marks that correspond to the X axis in the game options. By seeing where the A/B kicks in on the throttle range tick marks, use that number for the X axis. It's very close you may not have to fine tune, also I took out the detent bar. It now allows for much smoother range from MIL to A/B. With the sound of the A/B kicking in and the lights going red on the throttle and all the indicators in the cockpit, I just don't find I need it. I imagine some might still prefer the physical detent.

Yes what you say makes sense so why would there be markings above 100% unless the turbines can perform above 100% MIL power. Looking at the nozzle position or the EGT, you can determine what stage of A/B your in.

That gauge does not show percentages. It shows the power setting. 100 simply means 100,000 RPM's. The F-15C's F-100-PW-220's can be uprated past the engine trim setting used in this game. However usually this is not done AFAIK to prolong the life of the engine and to prevent issues with its continued operation.

This isn't something that can be done from the cockpit anyways though, so for the purposes here it doesn't really matter.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

• 3 months later...

I'm confused, I just acquired FC3 only a few days ago. As far as I can see, without touching any curves or .lua, my Throttle (Trustmaster Warthog) works as I imagine it would: Afterburner start to kick in when I get past the AB physical mark on the throttle unit and I can control its power in a range of about 10% rpm. Basically full throttle I'm at 90%, past that AB kicks in from 90 to 100-101. I only tested it in the Su-27 and F-15C. Am I missing something and can it go faster? gauge goes as high as 110% is it reachable?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think, the gauge goes to 100% RPM, but it will only match your max RPMs for certain conditions, depending upon how it was calibrated. Sometimes it will go at 98%, sometimes at 102%. I'm pretty sure there were some posts about the subject in the A-10C forums. That may explain why the gauge is graduated above 100%.

Also, I confirm the various degrees of A/B power (I fly the Su-33), and I frequently use minimum afterburner when someone is flying my wing (so that they can still have a little bit of available excess power).

Edited by Robin_Hood

• 9 months later...

Real AB (Full Blower)

Here's how I understand many Jet Aircraft Engines equipped with Afterburner Work:

- Idle to 100% RPM is the full range of Throttle Thrust without AB (in USAF, 100% RPM is referred to as Military Power, or Mil Power for Short). It ususally is not linear (example 90% RPM to 100% RPM can double your thrust in some AC).

- Crossing the AB Detent into Afterburner torches JP-4/8 Fuel that gets sprayed directly into the aft can. AB is for movin-out ! Doubles your Thrust but costs 5 or 6 times the Fuel Flow. Afterburner thrust is adjustable in most cases. It functions in Stages (starting at Stage 1 for Example, and Increasing to maybe Stage 5 as an example). Again - the USAF refers to Full AB as Maximum Power (or Max Power for Short). The Engine (in most cases) remains at 100% core RMP while in Afterburner. One Problem in the afterburner range is that it presents difficulty with is fine power control (each AB Stage may represent thousands of pounds of thrust and they are either lit or not lit). I have heard of engines that can vary core RPM while in AB to allow for fine thrust control to allow maintaining formation or heavyweight aerial refueling (for example); but I believe this the exception rather than the rule.

What Flight Simulators should strive for (with a Throttle like HOTAS Warthog with AB Detent Installed) is to default from Idle to 100% RPM within the Idle to AB Detent Range; and then Light AB after crossing the AB Detent - and progress in a few Stages up thru to Full MAX (in AB) Power.

Last Note: A more realistic application of the AB Detent (with HOTAS Warthog) would be to have just added forward pressure (no lifting force required) to push thru the Detent into AB Range; and then a slight lifting of the Throttles to return aft over the Detent into Non-AB Range.

BVR

Igor4U

"In Thrust we Trust"

In the F-15 there is a very small dead zone just before the afterburner kicks in. Set the throttles to 96% (Max) and push forwards a tiny bit... No afterburner. Push forwards a tiny bit more and you get afterburner. I believe this was done to simulate the dentent for those who lack it on the hardware side and I think it works well. For me it was actually better than setting up the real dentent. You get a feel for where the afterburner kicks in quite quickly. You also get an ear for it too as it makes a distinctive noise as it lights.

I fly with Saitek X65 HOTAS, I would love the idea of custom AF set up for individual HOTAS. I'm very new to F15 so I'm dealing with unrealistic curves for now I will try settings from post#12 and hopefully adjust from there.

INTEL CORE I7 6700K

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO

ASUS ROG GTX1080Ti Strix OC

16GB @ 4100 MHz |CORSAIR

Intel 730 SSD 240GB

Corsair 850 W Modular PSU

Corsair Obsidian 650d

Logitech X-56 HOTAS ,Saitek X-65F HOTAS, Pro Ruder Pedals, Pro Flight Instrument Panel

NP TrackIr 5 Pro

Windows 10 PRO