TIR vs. HOTAS

Rooks

Sort of at a cross road for hardware at the moment, I have a thrustmaster afterburner 2 with throttle that works quite well. I am trying to decide between getting an x52 ) or TIR3pro (possibly with vector). That's about the limit the buget extends to so far $200 - 250 AUD).

Would appreciate informed opinions. thanks

Can't really compare the two. It is like asking should I get a beer or stake :)

But I can tell you this - I used to have X-45 which was by itself quite a bit of investment. I then got X-52 to try it just to see if it is any better. It is better. Stick is more precise tank hunting is a lot more successfull with such a precise stick. People love X-45 so you get the idea that X-52 is even better :)

Well IMHO I would get the TIR 3 pro or the new TIR 4 if you have a joystick that work well for you. But it all depends on what you want, more buttons or some realism and ability to have some freedom in how you can look arround in you favorite sim.

sigpic4165_1.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=36435&d=1266786388

Guest IguanaKing
Can't really compare the two. It is like asking should I get a beer or stake :)

Well...using that analogy, it looks more like you're saying "How can you have one and not the other?". :icon_jook

One is good...the other is good...but together...heaven on Earth. Heh, I don't even have a TIR, but its the next thing on my list because I'm tired of looking around with my right thumb. :D

Just trying to get an idea what stuff is the more important for an upgrade.

Currrently I have 8 buttons and 3 axes which is fine for IL-2, you don't need heaps of buttons really so TIR would be the go. However LOMAC has so many more functions that might require a HOTAS system.

Want to know if I'm close to the mark here for most flyers here. Is TIR better purchased much later after you get a HOTAS?

Curious as to what people value more who have been in sims for much longer than I have - which is the better piece of gear to purchase. Don't need anyone to convince me one way or another, just good honest opinions what works for them. Thanks so far for the input

I would say get the TIR m8 .. the lack of buttons to push on your present stick you have to compensate by pushing more bottons on your Keyboard.

It takes a little time to get used to the TIR ( With or without VE ) but after some time you will wonder how you ever got along without it, it really makes a HUGE difference.

Sort of at a cross road for hardware at the moment, I have a thrustmaster afterburner 2 with throttle that works quite well. I am trying to decide between getting an x52 ) or TIR3pro (possibly with vector). That's about the limit the buget extends to so far $200 - 250 AUD).

Would appreciate informed opinions. thanks

Im in exactly the same situation...

IMHO without a decent HOTAS first theres no reason to get TIR. First control the plane then the views. More: if your confortable with hat views, then by all means get the X-52.

P.S. I still dont have track IR and probably wont get it soon, my next move will be byuing a stick as well. Im pooled between CH and X-52. The eventual CH purchase would force me to wait several months yet.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I didn't like the x45, I found it hard to get a god grip without pressing the pinkie switch, and the centering mechanism has an initial stiffnes that you have to overcome to move the stick. I suspect the x52 have some of these issues left.

Ah, the infamous "stick lubing and tension relief" thread.

There are ways around that problem . . . . apparently it's not as bad on the X52, and the X52 is a better stick all-round.

I'd say a HOTAS first, then a TrackIR.

I'd go with a HOTAS first then TrackIR, you need all the buttons and axis you can lay your hands on with sims such as Lock On or Falcon 4. TrackIR is a massive immersion booster IMO but not as necessary as a good HOTAS of which I'd recommend CH Products.

yellonet...have you the same stick? Trust me, only after having the same stick im desintegrating conditions youll know best wich one to get first....

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

yellonet...have you the same stick? Trust me, only after having the same stick im desintegrating conditions youll know best wich one to get first....
What? He said that his stick worked well... So to me it's quite clear that he should get a TrackIR.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

If the stick you have now is OK (or better), get the TrackIR with vector.

I've seen some say the vector isn't supported enough yet to justify it. Whle it is true that many sims don't support the vector yet, LOMAC FC supports it.

Look here: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/enhanced-games-flight.html

With the vector support in LOMAC FC, you can zoom in on the HUD by simply leaning into the monitor. Much better for targeting Mavericks. Select the mavericks, slow down the A/C, lean into the monitor and target away. Since we don't have the binoculars A-10 pilots use, this is the next best thing.

As for the TrackIR in general, it makes helo hunting a whole new game. Lean in for a zoomed view (is that speck a helo?) and then keep an eye on it while manuevering for the kill. I used to have to cheat and use F-10 Map to find the helo's area and then make pass after pass to find it. Now, I can usually spot it from a distance and manuever for a kill in the first pass. If I do have to make a another pass, it is much more effective with TrackIR.

Of course, if your joystick sucks, all of this will just aggravate you even more since you need to be able to control the A/C to make this worthwhile...

Arizona

I don't think HOTAS is a necessity really...

I have the CH Fighterstick, and the throttle slider works perfectly well for me. I have more than 90 commands mapped out onto the buttons through a combination of using the shift, alt, right win, and cntrl keys. I basically have my left hand moving from the throttle wheel to the shft, cntrl, etc. keys on the keyboard and vice versa, without missing a beat.

So if I'd get the CH fighterstick for sure (best joystick out there in my opinion), hold off on the pro throttle, and get the trackIR immediately. It's a cliche that you'll hear often, but I don't how I flew without trackIR b4...

I have the x-45 and after getting this stick a while back I wondered how I played good flight sims with out it. I am going to get the TrackIR 4 for xmas from my wife.

I would say if you like the stick you got then get the TIR. If you feel you need to upgrade the stick then do that first. You will have both at one point in time anyways. SO you just need to decide on what you want now and then get the other later.

=RvE=Atomic

Alienware Area-51, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 3.2GHz, 8gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Ram, EVGA SC GTX 570, Western Digital 1.0TB 64mb cache HD. Windows 7 Ultimate 64, Saitek X52 & Saitek Pro Peddals, TrackIR 4 Pro with Track Clip Pro.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would say if you like the stick you got then get the TIR. If you feel you need to upgrade the stick then do that first. You will have both at one point in time anyways. SO you just need to decide on what you want now and then get the other later.

Yep I agree with that entirely. TIR would be great but my stick whilst quite adequate is beginning to show its age, spiking and the hat is becomming 'selective' ( ooh my inputs are not good enough for you, kinda thing ;)).

Just comes down to if the stick was just marginally more reliable I would get TIR in a heartbeat.

Thanks so much for the tips & pointers people :cool:

Guest Ice2man

I'm a lucky guy, I've had two different HOTAS combos for the last ten years and I have a TIR2 since it's release. I started with the Thrustmaster F16 FLCS + TQS + Rudder. A few years later the FLCS died on me so I had to buy another one. Finally as the game port technology was coming to an end I decided I should go USB, then I found a friend who wanted to buy my setup and, after much reading, I got a CH setup (Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals).

All these years I thought that I had all I needed to play my sims, but then I found TIR.

I can say now that you really should want it all, no compromises, not one without the other.

Unfortunately the package is very expensive and probably you'll want to take small steps all the way. First get a joystick (you already have one), if possible a good one like the fighterstick, then get TIR and don´t underestimate the need for the Vector expansion (I don´t have one because mine is a TIR2). Even if a game doesn't support it it will help filter your head movements. Then go for the rest of the setup, going with the throttle and pedals by the order you think it's most usefull (depends of what games you play).

Right now I'm in the process of selling my TIR2 so that I can get a TIR4, the problem is that I can´t find anyone in my country (Portugal) who wants one, even though I'm letting it go really cheap, but I'm working on it...

Having had both sets from Thrustmaster and CH, and having loved them both, I'm in a position of neutrality when judging their strenghts and weaknesses, so if you want one more opinion about that just sai it.