Russian pods.

I have a few questions about Russian targeting pods and recce pods. If anyone can tell me their names and abilities as I'd like to know more about them.

This Su-34 has the APK-9E datalink pod under the left intake pylon and is used with the Kh-59 missile.

413409.jpg

I dont know this one but it's a targeting pod for the Su-25TM (Su-39)on the centerline pylon.

413570.jpg

This Su-30MK has a targeting pod under the left intake and a recce pod on the centerline pylon, again I don't know their names.

420187.jpg

The pod on the centre-line of the Su-30MKK is the Kupol and contains a high-resolution SAR radar and provisions for other sensors such as IIR AFAIK. It is primarily a reconnaissance system. The one below the intake next to it is the Sapsan-E, a laser-designation pod.

Hehe...a little late arrival here I am afraid :)

Just a couple of notes on the pod carried by the Su-25TM - it is called "Kopyo-25" and is a podded version of the Kopyo multimode radar.

The Kopyo line of radars was designed by Phazatron-NIIR and derrived from their Zhuk line. The Kopyo is intended as a smaller alternative to the Zhuk for installation on aircraft where the Zhuk would be too big, but retains the full functionality of this - such as air-to-air TWS mode with the ability to engage two targets simultaneously with RVV-AE missiles, several air-to-ground modes(including synthetic aperture ground mapping) and support for radar guided ASMs such as the Kh-35.

In other words a rather advanced and versatile radar similar in functionality to the Zhuk/Zhuk-M, but with little lower performance characteristics due to the smaller size - apart from shorter search and acquisition ranges, the Kopyo can display up to 8 targets(vs. 20 of the Zhuk-M) and simultaneously engage 2 (vs. 4 of the Zhuk-M).

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ