upgrading my BS2 upgrade

pixelpilot

I find myself in a familiar situation (along with many others i'd guess) I will have to install BS1 purely for the purpose of activating the new version of the BS2module. Is there no way that we owners of BS1 who bought the BS2upgrade can submit the serial numbers from both BS1 and BS2upgrade so that we could be re-issued a full BS2 key and the previous two made invalid. I could then throw my boxed copy of BS1 away (no valid key anymore) and move on.

Either that or on the BS2upgrade installer just have a second field to enter the BS1 key.

Or another way, provide us with a miniscule downloadable BS1 which contains no actual game data, simply to make the required registry changes and ask for the Serial. (actually, if I installed and activated BS1 but then deleted all the files would that work? the game would be installed as far as the registry is concerned but i'd have my drive space back, might be a workaround)

I hear it is a similar thing with FC3, requiring a previous version of FC or the original lockon. Seems weird to me to be installing ancient games which contain 0% of the code needed by the sequel just for the purposes of activation.

I agree. What I do is just keep the installation on a random drive and I leave it be.

Haven't tried the registry option but an easy way to test is start over, and cut the BS1 folder to a new directory. If the installation still recognises BS1 is installed then it doesn't matter if its files are still present, although yu may find you can't deactivate it very easily in future. I very much doubt you'd need the files installed but I'd double check just by moving the main folder somewhere else temporarily.

It should be just a different BS2 protect.exe for upgrade owners where it asks for both serials at the same time.

It's a right ball ache and I get really annoyed at the typical response that we should have paid for the full version. Obviously...

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

Your suggestions are commendable and its possible that in time, these suggestions may be the case. However, there is currently no way to combine the upgrade and BS1 together to form a new key. With the auto updater, this needing to have bs1 issue may be a thing of the past, unless you need to reinstall of course. But, that should now be a lot less.

I would like to point out that whenever ED releases a new patch, these suggestion threads tend to pop up. Most of these suggestions have been suggested before and I'm sure that ED is aware of peoples concern regarding this.

DCS: A10C Warthog JTAC coordinate entry training mission http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/99424/

DCS: Blackshark 2 interactive training missions http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84612

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i admit that it is a only a minor annoyance, if the ED and thier software ws a steaming pile of you know what, i would not even mention these little things. But because ED are generaly great and i have much respect for thier products that i'd like these things ironed out. If you're gonna be the best might as well be the best by a country mile. And yeh i do believe that with the new update system we wont have to do this very often.