Editing Skins

Mike Busutil

So I am trying to edit skins in DCS world for the A-10 but have had no luck....

I'm not sure which step I am doing wrong but I suspect file placement or file naming may be the issue.

Steps I am doing which are failing.

1. First I navigate to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\World\textures

2. I open A-10.Zip folder and copy the file I want to edit to another location

(Exaple a-10c_74th fs_1-a.bmp.dds)

(My other location for saved files is located in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar called "Test Textures")

3. I than open DXTBmp and open the .dds file I want to edit. (a-10c_74th fs_1-a.bmp.dds)

4. I "save as" a 24 bit BMP image to my test textures folder.

5. I open Photoshop and take care of business...

6. I select file\save as and rename the file as a .psd to my Test Textures folder.

7. Then I select file\save as a .BMP file to my Test Textures folder and close Photoshop.

8. I open DXTBmp and select my ORIGINAL .dds file I started with before I made any changes to it.

9. Click Generate Mips

10. Click on compress

11. Select compress in the pop up texture window.

12. Select File\Save Compressed as a .dds file to my Test Textures folder.

13. I then navigate to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\A-10C folder.

14. I copy "74th FS Moody AFB, Georgia (FT)" folder and paste in the same Liveries folder as the original and rename.

15. Open the renamed folder.

16. I right click over “description.lau”

17. Select “Edit with Notepad++”

18. I rename the file I edited ("A-10C_74th FS_1-a",true to read ""XXXXXX-a",true and save. That's it :D

When I launch DCS World My nose skin looks messed up like it has the tail skin wrapped around it :doh:

I think either I am screwing up step 8 or step 18 but not sure.... Any thought's?

Thanks for any info :thumbup:

Edited by Mike Busutil

Try this ;)

Skin Tutorial.pdf

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

you have a error in description.lua

you placed the same texture file (tail) at both positions tail and nose.

I'm not sure how I could of done that....

The only thing I do with the description.lau file is edit the name of the first "a" file.

Ok so I looked at the Fictional folders and noticed they had the edited .dds files in the folders with the description.lau, I had mine in my "test folder". BUT still this did not correct my issue.

Am I correct to assume in my step 8 I am supposed to compress the ORIGINAL .dds file that is unedited? This does not seem right to me...

First, the game will call your new liveries by what ever the folder is called.

i.e.if you make a folder named "11th test" it will show up in game as "11th test"

No matter what skin is in it.

Now make a folder and call it what you want.

Copy a-10c_74th fs_1-a.bmp.dds to the folder. rename it

e.x. a-10c_11th_test fs_1-a.bmp.dds

Copy the description.lua to the folder.

Open the description.lua with notepad++ and edit this line:

{"A-10C_PAINT_1-a", 0 ,"A-10C_74th FS_1-a",true};

Change the true, to false.

Now it looks like this:

{"A-10C_PAINT_1-a", 0 ,"A-10C_11th_test_1-a",false};

The true statement tells the sim to look in the zip file, a false statement tell it to look in the folder.

• 3 weeks later...

GrimDeath, still no luck. I still can't seem to get i right and need some help :helpsmilie:. Editing the skins is no problem, I just can't get them to load properly in the sim. I can get my edited liveries folder to show in the list of liveries but when I load a flight the nose textures look like the tail textures are layed over it. How do I take a in flight screen shot so I can show you?

Anyone feel like writing down the correct steps so I can compare notes and find my error? :joystick:

• 1 year later...