can't save missions in mission editor

kevins

When I click "save as" in the mission editor, I am getting a "can't open file for writing" message. I'd like to save an existing mission and modify it. Any ideas?

You probably are trying to write back to the folder inside the sim and have it installed in a default folder with UAC turned on. This means you do not have permission to write to that folder.

You will have to save the mission in another folder where you can write files. I would suggest the missions folder under your DCS saved games folder.

I would also suggest that the next time you install the sim that you install it outside of the Windows protected space so that you can more easily do things like install mods.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 8 years later...

I am getting frustrated with this same issue. In mission Editor I setup a scenario and click YES to save, get a message "can not write to file: C:\User\name\saved games\DCS etc...

I do have the save file outside of the game. Have tried giving the file admin rights etc.

uninstalled and reinstalled game, including a new saved game file...Second time around now and no change

Any help?

I'll throw in an observation on this too..

If %userprofile%\Saved Games is redirected to a network share, the game seems unable to read or write files to it.

I tend not to complain about this as it seems like nobody cares, and no devs seem to actually try to fix it

"We could come back with hydraulics shot out, half the tail shot off, piece of the wing shot off, we had two engines and could come home with one... She really was a piece of machinery that you could fly into hell and back... And she was designed around that gun from day 1"

If %userprofile%\Saved Games is redirected to a network share, the game seems unable to read or write files to it.

I redirected just the Missions Folder (\Saved Games\DCS\Missions\) to a Cloud Drive and it works perfectly.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I tend not to complain about this as it seems like nobody cares, and no devs seem to actually try to fix it

I understand that. After a day of messing around, my particular issue seems to be solved. Firstly, I was trying to save a game in Mission Editor, Could not as it would not let me access C: Drive. The Message was "Can not write to file: C:\\Users\Name\..etc". Then me dump out of the game

The aircraft icon as a side note, was tagged the map as "DICT_KEY#". i.e no assigned name on it.

To solve this problem, well, I am not exactly sure. But I went into each file in C drive and authorized them as Administrator, through Properties\Security\Edit etc.... No idea how that was removed in the first place.

The game is back, but I am still going uphill after I impulsively uninstalled/reinstalled last night. Today reinstalling everything and getting back to my original settings

Edited by DHR