Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Like I said time will tell, but I smell a rat.

It certainly isn't convincing when at the MTBS forum they showed an apparent early prototype which is just a pair of night vision goggles with a USB cable stuck in it.

Edited by bongodriver

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their FaceBook page was started in 2011. That's a long time to plan a fake.

Time will tell, you are quite right. And we have lots of it, because this tech is still a ways down the road yet.

I think that before the end of 2014 we will get the consumer version, facebooks acquisition gives a huge budget to speed things along.

I look forward to getting any VR. Don't think it will work well with my pit though. Great for everything else.

Interesting how the AirForce is so far is not building VR pits for their fighter jet simulators.

http://www.geek.com/news/this-lockheed-martin-f-35-flight-simulator-is-used-to-train-real-pilots-1579113/

Using VR mostly for basic aircraft and trucks, infantry and other less complex vehicles. It would be great also for a parachute simulators.

Anyway, look forward to VR gaming, whenever it comes.

Interview with Totem

http://www.roadtovr.com/totem-vr-headset-true-player-gear-ceo-interview-bertrand-nepveu-oculus-rift-competitor-alternative/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=totem-vr-headset-true-player-gear-ceo-interview-bertrand-nepveu-oculus-rift-competitor-alternative

I don't think the military sims are ready for VR because you can't replicate the physical tactile requirements yet. You still have to flip toggles etc.

Military has had this for years now. Albeit somewhat lower resolution, but SIMNET had physical replicas because it's important to drill in the physical handling of weapons. For example, on the Bradley, you can't let the 25mm ammo to run through completely. If you do, the system shuts down the weapon for 15-20 seconds because it takes longer to chamber the round that way. So the physical interaction is quite important.

As for parachute simulator, the most important thing about military jumping is how fast you fall. So you actually spend the bulk of the time learning how to fall w/o breaking your legs. There's very little maneuverability in mass tactical chutes. two weeks out of the three at jump school are spent learning how to fall. So that should give you some idea of what's involved.

The HALO guys already use the jet engine (just like the ones you see at carnivals/arcade).

For consumer sim, I still think you need to interact with your HOTAS. Even the Warthog throttle requires some visual input. But regardless, looking forward to what OR brings to the table.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• ED Team

I stopped pit building for VR and Oculus and I am looking forward to it, I intend to use VAC ( Voice activated commands ) for everything not on my hotas.

It will make me feel like Clint Eastwood in the film firefox lol

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks for the info dude.

Ya that was kinda my point. The reasons they are not using it for sims makes it not so good for our simpits either. HOTAS only, unless Totem pans out.

VR is going to be amazing for our sims. Flat, 2D monitors have been the worst part about simming since it started. These minor issues of flicking switches and using the keyboard will be solved soon enough. I've already used the rift to toggle buttons just by looking at them.

The pure immersion you get, and sense of height as you lift off the ground... nothing can replace that.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

VR is going to be amazing for our sims. Flat, 2D monitors have been the worst part about simming since it started. These minor issues of flicking switches and using the keyboard will be solved soon enough. I've already used the rift to toggle buttons just by looking at them.

The pure immersion you get, and sense of height as you lift off the ground... nothing can replace that.

isnt there a pan and click mode? just look at the switch, and tap the mouse button/wheel.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I stopped pit building for VR and Oculus and I am looking forward to it, I intend to use VAC ( Voice activated commands ) for everything not on my hotas.

It will make me feel like Clint Eastwood in the film firefox lol

But nowish would be the best time for pitbuilding. You know with cast Ar in the works. Dome pit are now feasible.

As for switches I think they should add using the cursor as it is now but with a sticky function. Think I saw that in BMS. I hope they make it so the cursor is parallaxed(not sure of the word I want to use here) for the dominant eye, mainly for people like me who are left eye dominant. I only think this would be a problem because of the 3D. Or even Kinect for windows plus haptic feedback gloves? You can use the kinect for spatial orientation of your arms.

Also think that they should add a camera on the front so you can push a button on the rift and what is actually in fron of you be visible for a use defined amount of time. Would make finding where the joystick and throttle are... And so I can raise my gear ;)

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

I don't know why I can't quote anyone…. Anyway, responding to a couple posts.

There was a very good VAC profile for radio comms, It worked perfectly but then broke after a patch when the menu's changed. I am not sure if it ever got fixed but that was the most natural way to use the radios and would work well in the rift.

I have a feeling I will give up all other controls other than my hotas, which I can use blindfolded. Between that and the mouse should be OK, That is how most of the dcs population currently have to do things anyway.

I have a feeling that with a camera on the rift you will feel quite strange jumping in and out of the virtual world so suddenly.

The advantages of the castAR are obvious if you want to fly in a real pit, I am just not sure that the lesser immersion of the castAR will be that great.

Of course the A10 and the black shark are the only real complex aircraft at the moment and other sims are all controllable on a hotas. I have a feeling that BOS will be a blast in the rift and no issues with real pits as the controls are simple enough.

I'm left eye dominant as well. Makes seeing the cursor difficult when it is rendered for the right eye. I also can't wink my left eye without my right eye closing as well haha. I'm finding my eye dominance is not as bad since I started using the rift though. I think it will be an excellent tool for helping rebalance eye dominance.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I'm left eye dominant as well. Makes seeing the cursor difficult when it is rendered for the right eye. I also can't wink my left eye without my right eye closing as well haha. I'm finding my eye dominance is not as bad since I started using the rift though. I think it will be an excellent tool for helping rebalance eye dominance.

Actually, there's an app for that on the rift! :) Google diplopia (for those with amblyopia/strabismus)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't know why I can't quote anyone…. Anyway, responding to a couple posts.

I have a feeling that with a camera on the rift you will feel quite strange jumping in and out of the virtual world so suddenly.

The advantages of the castAR are obvious if you want to fly in a real pit, I am just not sure that the lesser immersion of the castAR will be that great.

My quoting works :)

About camera on rift - yeah I didnt thinknof that. Maybe a fade in opacity like system? User configured of course. I just think it is going to be hard to find the stick or throttle again if you take your hands off them for whatever reason.

About cast Ar - at least from the demo videos it looks promising. Probably a few years out until we see something worthwhile. But it is in 3D so it would be nice, espcially if you ate building a full pit (which is my dream). However I think there will be issues i.e. Brightness, hud and many more I am overlooking.

I don't really want to rebalance my left eye dominance lol. Considering that I am left handed as well. I do think it should be an ingame or Rift software(if it speaks to the game) option.

My Specs

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Valve Index

My quoting works :)

About camera on rift - yeah I didnt thinknof that. Maybe a fade in opacity like system? User configured of course. I just think it is going to be hard to find the stick or throttle again if you take your hands off them for whatever reason.

About cast Ar - at least from the demo videos it looks promising. Probably a few years out until we see something worthwhile. But it is in 3D so it would be nice, espcially if you ate building a full pit (which is my dream). However I think there will be issues i.e. Brightness, hud and many more I am overlooking.

I don't really want to rebalance my left eye dominance lol. Considering that I am left handed as well. I do think it should be an ingame or Rift software(if it speaks to the game) option.

Must have been the browser on the mac having a day off, working on my pc now..

I must admit, it could depend on how you have things set up. I sit in an aces II seat with a centre mount so blindfolded my hand goes straight on to it without issue.

If I was sitting at a desk with it off to my right it would not be nearly as easy.

Must have been the browser on the mac having a day off, working on my pc now..

I must admit, it could depend on how you have things set up. I sit in an aces II seat with a centre mount so blindfolded my hand goes straight on to it without issue.

If I was sitting at a desk with it off to my right it would not be nearly as easy.

Oh man I wish I had a set up like yours. I play at a desk and my stick is situated almost like a side stick except at abdomen height.

Might look to invest into something like yours when CV1 releases. Mainly waiting for the Hornet and hopefully a TM Hornet stick and throttle. Running a T.Flight hotas currently... With all the buttons on the throttle serving as modifiers.

My Specs

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Valve Index

Very cool comparison of VR HMD specs I came across. Of course some of them are not confirmed yet.

jVDThD0.jpg

Edited by wasyl00

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

I agree OR would not suit simpits, castAR does sound like a much better fit, in fact it sounds like it would be quite impressive, downside to simpits is that they are either dedicated to faithfully recreating a single aircraft or are a generic box full of switches and levers, I personally still find greater appeal in a VR recreation of the aircraft with a well thought out click pit functionality.

I'm so glad you brought that up (and hopefully into the attention of the DCS devs!). In a 3D cockpit the MYO armband will make interacting with buttons, switches, knobes, levers and even cranks completely natural and intuitive. And it doesn't interfere with your HOTAS hardware, it's the perfect addition to it as it is for the Oculus Rift. Gee, this year brings so much gear for a better flightsim immersion, can't wait. Meanwhile I pray for software support...

I'm so glad you brought that up (and hopefully into the attention of the DCS devs!). In a 3D cockpit the MYO armband will make interacting with buttons, switches, knobes, levers and even cranks completely natural and intuitive. And it doesn't interfere with your HOTAS hardware, it's the perfect addition to it as it is for the Oculus Rift. Gee, this year brings so much gear for a better flightsim immersion, can't wait. Meanwhile I pray for software support...

My pit is going to be perfect with the Rift and this armband if it can do what they say it can.

vZE3sae.jpg

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

My pit is going to be perfect with the Rift and this armband if it can do what they say it can.

vZE3sae.jpg

The good thing about rift is that we can get rid of our TrackIRs and get the one third of money back :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

So, you'll not need a TrackIR once rift is out. What makes you think others need it?

I never said that others need it. I just noticed that for some of people like me or KaspeR32 (check pic he posted) having the rift + trackir make no sense so we can actually reduce the rift adoption related costs...that's all

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

anyone using the oculus with DCS?

There is no native OR support yet, but you can try using DK1 with modified "Stereo" video settings (http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1987744&postcount=1385), FaceTrackNoIR or FreeTrack for head tracking, Oculus Overlay or Nthusim HMD for warping. Additionally you can use Razor Hydra for 6DOF.

Read current Thread from this post - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1979311#post1979311

Edited by ReviZorro

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius