Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Indeed, the sky is falling. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are they going to become a monopoly when the tech for VR headsets its so easy and readily available? Never going to happen.

Especially with Project Morpheus and a rumoured Xbox One headset in the works.

Facebook is a Software company looking to diversify and are getting in at "ground zero" of VR.

There are Billions in profits at stake.

You new to nowadays? :) Patents, API wars, "partnerships"... I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying the risk is high, especially with the Facebook snowball joining in.

Yes, Sony and Microsoft in the pond is the single thing that make the black scenario slightly less probable.

I don't really see that there is an issue here. As has already been said there are many companies now that are going to have potential VR headsets in the next couple of years. So pick and choose the one that suits best rather than relying on OR as being the be all and end all of VR

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Who here wouldn't want be totally immersed into the virtual reality of Farmville once someone sends one of those annoyingly frequent requests?

• Like 1

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

Just as you roll in and line up for a 'Tunguska guns-kill' a pop-up appears and everything grinds to a halt;

"Friend Request: Kiogy123@oal.com wants to be your friend. Allow? [yes] [no]. "

I swear... that's the day I stop playing games...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

I'm sure the community will come up with something to block or limit this add/logins nonsense. I'm not canceling my DK2 order. I think Facebook ownership will not affect the hardware part of the rift and with the extra $$$ may even speed up things. Just my two cents here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip

I thought the best dig at this deal was a comment I saw on another site. "Imagine you're playing Skyrim, entering a dark and spooky cave when suddenly "Joe bloggs has invited you to play Candy Crush Saga!". Bah, I wouldn't trust Facebook as far as I could throw them. The thing is Facebook is governed by it's shareholders who usually care for nothing other than profit. I think that the original focus on gaming will eventually fall by the wayside as these said shareholders get their dirty kits on things to maximise their returns.

Cut down to what, 100 bucks? I don't think so.

From the NYTimes:

"About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said."

And about 98% of that demographic own smart phones that have both games and FB. Its going to be the 2% like myself who have to deal with everything else. I deleted my fb account 2 years ago, and havent had a cell phone in 3. Id rather NOT go back to that. Ill take the VR headset and none of the BS, please.

The thing is Facebook is governed by it's shareholders who usually care for nothing other than profit.

:lol:

This statement gets made a lot. Usually by people with no money in the stock market.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

..and what will make Oculus profitable?

Great cheap hardware, Immersive VR with tons of content (games, interactive media, movies, everything)

No-- but you're probably right. Half of that nice big FoV will be ads and "like" buttons now.. Because that's what Facebook does.

Worth a read: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/EMcNeill/20140326/213904/Oculus__Facebook_Probably_Not_So_Bad_So_Maybe_You_Could_Stop_Freaking_Out_About_It.php

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

:lol:

This statement gets made a lot. Usually by people with no money in the stock market.

The links for cases of altruism of financial markets are missing from your post somehow :sly:

@cobra847

Reductio ad ridiculum

And about 98% of that demographic own smart phones that have both games and FB. Its going to be the 2% like myself who have to deal with everything else. I deleted my fb account 2 years ago, and havent had a cell phone in 3. Id rather NOT go back to that. Ill take the VR headset and none of the BS, please.

Are you trying to argue with me? Cause I'm totaly with you, I was trying to show that FB bought the Rift to make it something else, no matter what Palmer Luckey will say.

Btw, I've read some quotes from a few OR developers, and some of them are stupid enough to believe that the OR market will open up to the 1 billion FB users. I mean, that must be one of the stupidest things I've read this month.

Edited by remon

Well, aviation sim has always been the fringe of gaming anyway. Think about how many games are sold on Google Play and Apples store every day. And I know for a fact that 2,553 people backed the WWII sim (click on the WWII module at top of your screen).

So VR for gaming purpose has *no choice* but to try and break into the mainstream. FB may be the fastest way to get there. And the hardcore sim'ers will (most likely) be left in the dust. But as i keep saying, I'm wiling to let the dust settle. It's not like we have any other choice.

If vilifying FB, Oculus, Google, Apple makes you feel better, knock yourself out. But they are all public companies trying to make a buck however they can. They are not running a charity for the good of the Internet.

Palmer had a great idea, just at the right time, and he cashed out. Good for him! That's how capitalism works. In the face of couple of hundred million dollars, I doubt he was thinking "but those flight sim guys...what about them???" LOL :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The links for cases of altruism of financial markets are missing from your post somehow :sly:

No altruism involved. I invest in the stock market for financial gain, period.

I see using numbered headers to make an unsubstantial article look substantial.

Different point of view:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-26-oculus-rift-step-into-the-game-step-out-with-two-billion-dollars

There are always differing points. In my opinion the massive outcry is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction that at its' core makes no sense.

And no -- I am not exaggerating the comments by various communities.

Time will tell.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

If it makes anyone feel better. The roughly $1.5bil in stock is worth about $42million less than it was yesterday.

Facebook is hardly the most trustworthy brand and like Google, they just love to invade your privacy (locations etc) I can see it already, you'll need a Facebook account to use the rift, not a problem for me but not everybody wants one and it will no doubt try to post everything you are doing to your wall. And my main worry is that this will now force adds on you, that is the world we live in now and it is how these companies make their money. They are universally hated but that won't stop them, and nothing will take you out of a gaming experience like adds popping up. Even if the Facebook money speeds up development, I would rather have waited a bit longer personally. Maybe my fears are unfounded but we will see....

I think most of the privacy issues on Facebook are user generated(i.e. The user posted it) I guess that could still be a concern. I don't think they will monetize the Rift via ads though. They are selling hardware instead of a a "free" service like they normally do. So I don't think ads will be part of the gaming experience. Possibly they might add ads into the software if they have something like the TrackIR experience.

At the same time I have no idea what their true long term goals are. I think it will be a wait and see type of thing.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

So what exactly did you mean in post #14?

Why on earth would shareholder's care about anything else but profits (it is pretty much the whole point of the exercise) and, in most cases, they have little or no influence on the company.

Some people really need a good lesson on how to not jump to conclusions.
I'm not jumping to conclusions at all. Oculus Rift might turn out to be a great product. I just don't want my money to go to Facebook or anything related to it.

As a consumer, my money is essentially a vote for the companies that I approve of.

Edited by VincentLaw

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not jumping to conclusions at all. Oculus Rift might turn out to be a great product. I just don't want my money to go to Facebook or anything related to it.

You do realize that since ED makes use of Facebook they, and you, are supporting them.

You do realize that since ED makes use of Facebook they, and you, are supporting them.
Well basically the entire world is related to facebook in some way. I could just grow a long beard, find a nice mountain, and live under a rock... or I can afford some level of reasonability. My money is not going to to Facebook when I support ED because ED does not pay Facebook for its services.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]