Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I just downloaded the two best DCS 2 vids from Wags youtube collection and played them in VR player.

Yes, they were in 2D. Yes, they were slightly distorted due to curving inside the player. But my God, they were beautiful!

DCS 2 in the Rift is simply going to be amazing!

Cheers,

Smirkza

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just downloaded the two best DCS 2 vids from Wags youtube collection and played them in VR player.

Yes, they were in 2D. Yes, they were slightly distorted due to curving inside the player. But my God, they were beautiful!

DCS 2 in the Rift is simply going to be amazing!

Unless they totally revamp the pits for bigger text inside cockpit, the rift will be useless. I didn't realize how bad the red was on this thing. Theirs slightly more presence than my 55 inch in 3d but the 55 in 3d is much better.

Still can't get this thing to down sample or run the Dsr resolutions I set. No clue what's wrong with this thing. Get more trouble shooting time later. Will say though standing up and looking at your bird is cool that's about all it has more than nvidia 3d. Definitely not combat effective as it is now :(. Looks very much like 640x480 way to much shimmering and jaggies

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Well got mine running but for some reason I'm stuck at 40 fpS with sli 980. Obviously something wrong and it looks like 640 x480 like the other guy. Going to keep messing with it. I did accidently have the rift plugged in before installing run time don't know if that's the cause.

Also it seems low persistence mode is not on

Are you rounding to 40fps? Have you got vsync on? It could be you are not getting 75 frames and nvidia is dropping the framerate to half of 75 to maintain vsync.

Try without vsync if you have it and do you get better frames with sli on in DCS anyway?

Are you rounding to 40fps? Have you got vsync on? It could be you are not getting 75 frames and nvidia is dropping the framerate to half of 75 to maintain vsync.

Try without vsync if you have it and do you get better frames with sli on in DCS anyway?

Nvidia 3d sli works good, with oculus not so sure right now it's 50 60 on ground then up in 70's in air. I do have vsynch on I'll give it a try without but I can't stand screen tearing. My rift is set to extended primary and I do the turn off in mission select screen then turn it on when loading. Clickable pit and that works great, just performance and I don't see any difference in image quality when I set a high dsr resolution or standard down sampling. Also I run it in full screen mode.

Question, these days to you shut down the osr service or whatever it's called like bunyap did in his video?

It's a bummer but it's new tech and developer kit so can't get to mad but was hoping for more.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Nvidia 3d sli works good, with oculus not so sure right now it's 50 60 on ground then up in 70's in air. I do have vsynch on I'll give it a try without but I can't stand screen tearing. My rift is set to extended primary and I do the turn off in mission select screen then turn it on when loading. Clickable pit and that works great, just performance and I don't see any difference in image quality when I set a high dsr resolution or standard down sampling. Also I run it in full screen mode.

Question, these days to you shut down the osr service or whatever it's called like bunyap did in his video?

It's a bummer but it's new tech and developer kit so can't get to mad but was hoping for more.

Saddens me that others have problems with their kit. I've been lucky so far and not needed to do any work arounds like switching off the main monitor or closing down services.

I noticed some slight graphical improvement in downsampling but prefer the steadier fps running at normal res.

The res does make it a struggle to read the font in the cockpit, but if you know what is where it isn't a game breaker. The immersion I get far outweighs the downsides. Much of it comes from the screendoor effect which apparently is much less in Cove.

I have Nvidia 3D vision too, and would still take the rift over it. If I had a full pit of course it might be a different story.

However, I am glad that others do struggle with the res. Not because I want you to miss out, but rather because the more people pushing Oculus to up the res the more likely it is to happen. I dream of 4K minimums with 180' FoV - one day...

The DK2 is certainly not a retail ready piece of kit, but I guess they never claimed it was. The full retail release version will need to be spot on though for the industry to adopt it like I hope it does.

Cheers,

Smirkza

Don't get my somewhat negative talk wrong this is the future, needs allot of work and more importantly we need the hardware and game developers to fully integrate and jump on the band wagon. Biggest reason I bought two 980 was for vr and what nvidia was saying as far as their vr direct tech. Anybody have any incite or those techs running?

I also was used to big stereoscopic screen before the Rift, so, visually it wasn´t shocking like for many that never experienced proper stereoscopic graphics with high FOV. But the 6dof 1:1 headtracking is what completes the experience and makes it magic.

With the DK1 the extremely low pixel density made it unplayable for flight simulation, at least for me. The DK2 is still way too low, but this time it has brought me that experience that I´ve been waiting for sooooooo long. Resolution must and will rise for sure. I hope that at least a bit in the CV1, but I'm sure it will be a lot in later iterations.

Just a update, I disabled sli and with just 1 980 I'm getting great performance and am liking this thing much more. Also I enabled 2x transparency super sampling and 4x msaa via nvidia control panel. Looks a million times better and can easily function with all systems in the a10c. Guess patience and tinkering pays off. Just wish sli would work better. Bring on Dcs 2.0!!

Just a update, I disabled sli and with just 1 980 I'm getting great performance and am liking this thing much more. Also I enabled 2x transparency super sampling and 4x msaa via nvidia control panel. Looks a million times better and can easily function with all systems in the a10c. Guess patience and tinkering pays off. Just wish sli would work better. Bring on Dcs 2.0!!

Ah cracking, glad you're getting it fine tuned! I may have to try your Nvidia settings to see how they turn out...

Cheers,

Smirkza

Out of curiosity what dcs graphic settings are you guys using. I'm also using sweetfx with ffxaa and other AA disabled in sweetfx.

My draw distance is down to medium and scenes down to medium

Cockpit shadows are off, and shadows on low.

512 on mfds

Tree draw distance is low around 3500 meters

Still experimenting with dcs settings trying to keep the 75 fpS most of time. I can concede that on the ground taxi is in the 60s which is no big deal.

Out of curiosity what dcs graphic settings are you guys using. I'm also using sweetfx with ffxaa and other AA disabled in sweetfx.

My draw distance is down to medium and scenes down to medium

Cockpit shadows are off, and shadows on low.

512 on mfds

Tree draw distance is low around 3500 meters

Still experimenting with dcs settings trying to keep the 75 fpS most of time. I can concede that on the ground taxi is in the 60s which is no big deal.

What version of SweetFX are you using and what are you doing to get it to work?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Haven't seen any word at all other than the guy at Mudspike who flew the rift in the pre alpha of nttr. I hope it works better. I found some good settings now in current engine and is a blast to fly at night for sure.

Well I'll comment more on b lens. Up close is more clear in pit compared to A lens. But the far stuff is blurry so I take it I should stick with A lens. What have you guys found that works best for dcs world? Yes I know everybody eyes are different

Thanks rcjones - I got SweetFX installed and it makes a nice difference. Unfortunately, DCS hangs on exit with it installed so I had to remove Sweet and all of its components :(

I used Rise's settings file, but there is still something my installation doesn't like with it in there. I updated to the latest DCS update this morning.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

hey guys, is there still big delays in the shipping of the rift or have they got that sorted now.

Super fast, I ordered mine on a Saturday and got it Friday.