Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Well the curiosity got the best of me, I ordered a DK2. Hopefully be here in a week or so. Anybody using dsr or any down sampling! Looking forward to try dcs and many other games and demos out with this thing.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone having success with SweetFX and the DK2? If so, what version are you using and how do you get it going?

It makes a huge difference in iRacing :)

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Well the curiosity got the best of me, I ordered a DK2. Hopefully be here in a week or so. Anybody using dsr or any down sampling! Looking forward to try dcs and many other games and demos out with this thing.

I'm using DSR. Subjectively speaking, thing DO appear a bit cleaner but it's not a huge difference IMHO. I'm using 2x reliably. Tried 4x but saw zero improvement over 2x and it increased my overhead enough that I did notice increased judder. YMMV my friend.

Markeebo

How long can you guys keep these on your face before you get sick? That is what is scaring me away from the rift.

I get mine tomorrow. Was uber quick ordered last sat and bam arrive tomorrow. I'll for sure report my findings and if I lose my lunch lol

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

How long can you guys keep these on your face before you get sick? That is what is scaring me away from the rift.

It depends on the game.

For DCS, I can easily fly for a couple of hours before I get fatigued.

Note I said fatigued, as you soon learn to avoid the sickness feeling by adjusting how you move your eyes/head when the fps is low. I haven't felt sick in the DK2 for months, even in No Limits 2. What you will find though is that your neck/upper body get tired from having to look around in a 1:1 way. Checking your 6 feels amazing, and you get a real appreciation as to how it must have exhausted new pilots looking around whilst being subjected to real G forces.

Regarding down sampling - as was stated above I notice some slight improvements but mostly prefer a slightly higher fps so have gone back to standard resolution. EDGE should hopefully offer some serious improvements regarding fps and native rift support, so will see how that pans out.

Buying the DK2 changed gaming for me. I can't play games without it now as they just feel empty. Mine was an investment for some future hardware projects but for sim fans it really is incredible

Cheers,

Smirkza

With DCS I don't get sick. With HL2 is almost instantaneous. It depends very much on the game.

It also depends on the person. Assetto Corsa is non stop fun for me. One of my brothers almost vomited after one lap.

Surely it's a BIG problem. I hope it's minimized to zero in CV1 and on or all this VR thing could be an epic fail.

Well mine literally gets dropped off at my door in a matter of hours. But the wife planned a weekend in Salida colorado for sking at Monarch mountain and getting trapped in a cabin when this uber blizzard blows in tomorrow lol.

Thanks for the info about down sampling, if anything I'll do super sampling Aa which helps also and see if the 980 sli will keep frames comfortable. I also second the remarks about edge. Dear lord I think we will be in heaven with the rift when that comes out.

Do eyes really focus so close? There is LCD few cm in front of you, or there is some kind of trick that eyes think focus is far away, ie. normal way 0.5 meter and further?

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Do eyes really focus so close? There is LCD few cm in front of you, or there is some kind of trick that eyes think focus is far away, ie. normal way 0.5 meter and further?

You are looking through lenses, not directly at the display panel.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Just caved and ordered my DK2 for DCS.

Anything I need to know guys? Anything that'll keep me from using it in DCS right-out-of-the-box?

Some have struggled, but I had no problems just switching it on and flying.

If you find (like I did) that the view is rotated 90' just rotate the rift monitor in the Nvidia control panel.

I have the rift set to extended mode, tick the rift option in DCS and bingo, you're away!

One thing to note - you may have a small heart attack when you first try the rift and the blue light doesn't come on. Don't panic. Just try switching between direct and extended mode in the rift control panel and this will 99.99999% of the time fix the problem.

Also, make sure you have the right output connection type to connect to the rift. If you don't, you'll need to buy a converter and trust me, you'll want one to hand when the rift arrives, as waiting for a new delivery sucks!

Sitting in the A10 or Huey is just an incredible experience in the rift. I just sat there when I first got it checking out all the details I missed before on a standard monitor. The first time you take off too is great, and the way your stomach lurches the first time you try a roll (which will be a slow roll, as your mind convinces you to really not throw the plane around like you normally would).

VorpX is well worth considering too if you like to dabble in other games - works very well for some games (like Skyrim) and well enough in others.

Also, redownload Half Life 2. It was always an epic game but really it's truly amazing in the DK2 and it has virtually native support!

Lastly, remember it's a dev kit, so do expect some bugs. Grab all the small demo games out there (Dread Halls etc) as their fps are super smooth and though simple, they're really good fun. If you want to be terrified grab a copy of Alien Isolation, or for a laugh watch a friend playing it. No Limits 2 is worth a purchase too...

Good luck, and welcome to the future!

(I'm such a fanboy, I'm ashamed of myself - but it just works!)

Edited by smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

If you find (like I did) that the view is rotated 90' just rotate the rift monitor in the Nvidia control panel.

I have the rift set to extended mode, tick the rift option in DCS and bingo, you're away!

One thing to note - you may have a small heart attack when you first try the rift and the blue light doesn't come on. Don't panic. Just try switching between direct and extended mode in the rift control panel and this will 99.99999% of the time fix the problem.

Also, make sure you have the right output connection type to connect to the rift. If you don't, you'll need to buy a converter and trust me, you'll want one to hand when the rift arrives, as waiting for a new delivery sucks!

Sitting in the A10 or Huey is just an incredible experience in the rift. I just sat there when I first got it checking out all the details I missed before on a standard monitor. The first time you take off too is great, and the way your stomach lurches the first time you try a roll (which will be a slow roll, as your mind convinces you to really not throw the plane around like you normally would).

VorpX is well worth considering too if you like to dabble in other games - works very well for some games (like Skyrim) and well enough in others.

Also, redownload Half Life 2. It was always an epic game but really it's truly amazing in the DK2 and it has virtually native support!

Lastly, remember it's a dev kit, so do expect some bugs. Grab all the small demo games out there (Dread Halls etc) as their fps are super smooth and though simple, they're really good fun. If you want to be terrified grab a copy of Alien Isolation, or for a laugh watch a friend playing it. No Limits 2 is worth a purchase too...

I like it too. Especially in the Huey, man... that is really, really realistic when you take off...!!

However, "out of the box" didn't work for me. Still some tryal and error switching on and off to get DCS right on the rift.

And... still didn't manage to get 6DOF positional tracking. Left/right/up/down is ok, but if I move sidewards or front/back, nothing happens.... :-(

Awesome! Question are you combat effective in a bird like a10c? Down sampling make it possible. I just wonder how bad readability really is as currently I fly on 55 incher. In 3d and their is a screen door effect but I'm still combat effective and can read gauges somewhat effectively.

Also from what I've seen of videos in the a10c with rift the position in the pit looks to far back, anyway to adjust that?

Awesome! Question are you combat effective in a bird like a10c? Down sampling make it possible. I just wonder how bad readability really is as currently I fly on 55 incher. In 3d and their is a screen door effect but I'm still combat effective and can read gauges somewhat effectively.

Also from what I've seen of videos in the a10c with rift the position in the pit looks to far back, anyway to adjust that?

F5 resets your view, so if you're too far back normally, lean back a little, reset view then move forward to your normal position.

Regarding combat effectiveness, it depends. Without tags on spotting is tough. Using the systems of the A10 is perfectly doable and ground attack is perfectly manageable. My strafing has never been so good, nor rocket runs. Bang on target now every time!

You will need to install some mods to increase HUD size, adjust radio position etc. I've linked to these a few times in my posts so if you're after them go through my posting history (I've been playing for years but only rarely post on these forums so it won't take long to find). Reading gauges is dependent on how familiar you are with your chosen cockpit layout. If you know where every gauge is anyway, and what it 'should' be reading, then knowing wear the needle is pointing is quite easy.

Things that are problematic include the kneeboard (can't read, too small) and if you rely on keyboard you'll struggle (use a HOTAS, it's the only sane option with the Dk2, really).

GurbY - Is your head tracking camera light on when you play DCS? I found that I had to plug it in to the DK2 cable at the rear of the PC (I forget the exact names for these parts, but it's the extra lead that Oculus mark as optional in the setup instructions). I think your problem sounds like maybe the tracker isn't on?

Edited by smirkza

Cheers,

Smirkza

F5 resets your view, so if you're too far back normally, lean back a little, reset view then move forward to your normal position.

Regarding combat effectiveness, it depends. Without tags on spotting is tough. Using the systems of the A10 is perfectly doable and ground attack is perfectly manageable. My strafing has never been so good, nor rocket runs. Bang on target now every time!

You will need to install some mods to increase HUD size, adjust radio position etc. I've linked to these a few times in my posts so if you're after them go through my posting history (I've been playing for years but only rarely post on these forums so it won't take long to find). Reading gauges is dependent on how familiar you are with your chosen cockpit layout. If you know where every gauge is anyway, and what it 'should' be reading, then knowing wear the needle is pointing is quite easy.

Things that are problematic include the kneeboard (can't read, too small) and if you rely on keyboard you'll struggle (use a HOTAS, it's the only sane option with the Dk2, really).

GurbY - Is your head tracking camera light on when you play DCS? I found that I had to plug it in to the DK2 cable at the rear of the PC (I forget the exact names for these parts, but it's the extra lead that Oculus mark as optional in the setup instructions). I think your problem sounds like maybe the tracker isn't on?

Thanks brother sounds good! Have a hud font mod already and I see a seperate forum thread about rift mods for dcs.

I found the cable wasn't plugged in completely... so I secured it, rebooted and... it worked...!! However, NO cam light is showing up..?? Furthermore, the movement doesn't correspond to the movement of my head; if I move backwards, the cam in the cockpit moves left... and so on... Nausious now...

I found the cable wasn't plugged in completely... so I secured it, rebooted and... it worked...!! However, NO cam light is showing up..?? Furthermore, the movement doesn't correspond to the movement of my head; if I move backwards, the cam in the cockpit moves left... and so on... Nausious now...

How strange!

Erm, I'm no expert so it might be worth trawling through Google for similar problems?

That said, how does the demo scene show up in the configuration utility? If you switch the bounding box on you should be able to see it inside the demo. At least then you'd know if the tracking camera was working correctly, as well as be able to see the light come on in the tracker.

Sorry, I don't know enough to help you more... :(

Cheers,

Smirkza

What do you mean with "bounding box"?

When you load the demo from the config utility the built in menu (looks like a blackboard) has the option to turn on camera bounds. This was what I meant. It sets a wireframe guide up showing where the tracking cam is looking.

When I had a problem with my tracking camera (same as you, the lead came out) the bounding box wouldn't show up.

Cheers,

Smirkza

I got it working!! Reinstalled runtime, checked demo as you said, and this time I saw orange lines representing the boundaries of the movement. Which I certainly didn't see before!!

And... OMG... I can sit for hours in the A10C pit looking around.. just did a night flight, you ARE in the cockpit..

I got it working!! Reinstalled runtime, checked demo as you said, and this time I saw orange lines representing the boundaries of the movement. Which I certainly didn't see before!!

And... OMG... I can sit for hours in the A10C pit looking around.. just did a night flight, you ARE in the cockpit..

Cool, glad you got it fixed!

Welcome to the new world. Amazing isn't it! :thumbup:

Cheers,

Smirkza

Well got mine running but for some reason I'm stuck at 40 fpS with sli 980. Obviously something wrong and it looks like 640 x480 like the other guy. Going to keep messing with it. I did accidently have the rift plugged in before installing run time don't know if that's the cause.

Also it seems low persistence mode is not on

Edited by rcjonessnp175