Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Before doing a clean install of oculus and dcs repair try to monitor the effective use of the gpu, my Gtx 970 was used only for 45% during dcs, after the cleaning and repair now is 89% avg of gpu power.

Check also your Mb bios and if you can disable hyperthreading in your cpu settings

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to reinstall the oculus driver, I was in the same boat as you before reinstalling everything, once you have disinstalled oculus restart and repair dcs, I had some problems with modified Lua file, after that re-restart and install oculus

Ahhh you might be on to something there matey as my set-up was originally a 27" monitor with a 22" touchscreen running helios so i think i had to modify a LUA file?? Ok i got 2 new SSDs coming today so i was going to completely re-install everything anyway... Thanks for that i will keep you posted on the progress..

Cheers Chris

Ahhh you might be on to something there matey as my set-up was originally a 27" monitor with a 22" touchscreen running helios so i think i had to modify a LUA file?? Ok i got 2 new SSDs coming today so i was going to completely re-install everything anyway... Thanks for that i will keep you posted on the progress..

Cheers Chris

Ok maybe these are the culprits of malfunctioning, before oculus I was with 3 27" surround and a 4th monitor with helios and lot of selfmade panels with personalized setting via helios and arduino bridge!

Also ssd disk would help a lot, the first thing you will notice is faster (lot of faster boot time) but during the game, the texture will load faster and you cannot perceive more Micro stutter.

Everything is running smoother. (maybe ssd reduce time to get everything).

Have a nice day and sorry for my bad English. ....

• Like 1

Ok maybe these are the culprits of malfunctioning, before oculus I was with 3 27" surround and a 4th monitor with helios and lot of selfmade panels with personalized setting via helios and arduino bridge!

Also ssd disk would help a lot, the first thing you will notice is faster (lot of faster boot time) but during the game, the texture will load faster and you cannot perceive more Micro stutter.

Everything is running smoother. (maybe ssd reduce time to get everything).

Have a nice day and sorry for my bad English. ....

1st off do not apologise for your English as i am English and my English is crap lol and yours is fine. .. I am already running a ssd with the operating system on it and yeah it does boot quickly.. I will hopefully let you know how i get on with in the next 2 days as it will take a long time to re-install everything lol..

Cheers Chris

Thank Chris! Have a Good re-install! I hope that may resolve your problems

(By the way I have tried dcs and warthunder with a 4k on my Gtx970) the fps are spectacular 80 fps on dcs and 88 on warthunder all maxed out....

So your card is even better than mine ( even if msi gtx970 overclocked is a little more brutal than a stock gtx 980 )

I have a friend who was a commercial pilot for one of the US carriers; he loves x-plane...and Macs. I told him about the Rift today and he's as excited about it as I am. I told him I'd investigate if the Rift will work for x-plane. As it turns out, it won't for reasons stated here:

http://developer.x-plane.com/

Why I'm posting here is because of that developer's comments quoted here:

Using the DK2 in “Extended Desktop” mode like the DK1 is not really an option.
Due to the DK2 running at 75Hz, and your primary monitor at 60Hz (unless you still have one of those heavy CRT monitors) you will get terrible vsync.
It is dropping frames left and right (regardless of your actual frame rate!) causing what people on the Oculus forums refer to as “DK2 judder”. In fact, DK1 looks better than DK2 right now, given we can only use the “Extended” mode, and that is just lame.
[emphasis added]

I'm reading this that it's better to run the Rift in "Direct Mode" so that the device runs at the refresh rate it should. I tried running in Direct Mode yesterday with DCS, but it wouldn't go.

Will DCS support the Rift in Direct? This will likely - hoping - the judder when the main screen is 60hz. Dunno...thoughts, comments, observations, quips, etc. are welcome :)

Hi Derek, Wireline here from the Oculus forums :) Yes indeed there is a problem with direct mode in that very few demos or games have ever worked with it. Extended mode was always intended as a backup by Oculus, but it has ended up being the default go-to because no one seems to be able to make direct work reliably.

Also true about the 60Hz / 75Hz thing. I run DCS:

1. Full screen OFF, this prevents the "can't click anything" problem, but you can only do it if your monitor is 75Hz

2. Normal monitor as primary. DCS starts up on my primary, then launches in rift when I start a mission. Performance is no better or worse than if I set rift as primary, and I don;t have to faff about with open broadcaster or do the one eyed willy dance.

Oculus will hopefully bring out updates to the SDK, but if more big devs are coming out in the open and saying "direct mode is borked so we aren't bothering", this might help speed things up.

Re: Performance, Its difficult to tell on my gaming laptop if its my FPS or something else causing judder. I am in the process of building a bit of a monster for all my flight sims and intend OC'ing as high as possible, so I will let you know how I get on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

I also use prepar3d with a free plugin that use timewarp frame, and work like butter even with everything maxed out, and prepar3d v2.4 it's a rig killer just like x-plane.

mgsanna,

Could you just lay out exactly what you do? In terms of using Rift as the primary and how you use P3D?

For example, you say just turn off the main monitor as DCS launches, is that all that's needed?

And what aircrafts do you fly in P3D? I have FSX, but it looks like in P3D, you just get the framework needed to fly the modules (separate purchase). No native aircraft comes with P3D, does it?

Thanks.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

mgsanna,

Could you just lay out exactly what you do? In terms of using Rift as the primary and how you use P3D?

For example, you say just turn off the main monitor as DCS launches, is that all that's needed?

And what aircrafts do you fly in P3D? I have FSX, but it looks like in P3D, you just get the framework needed to fly the modules (separate purchase). No native aircraft comes with P3D, does it?

Thanks.

I'll explain what I'm doing with Oculus dk2,

1 set Oculus in extended Mode and set as Primary monitor.

2 turn off oculus and your "normal monitor" become primary

3 installed the free plug-in called DCOC v2.2 or 2.3 I don't remember but last updated one

4 launch prepar3d as usual, during loading appear a dialog that ask you to turn on Oculus and press Enter

5 wear oculus and a new 3d panel appear, you can navigate it with arrow keys, and esc key

6 set all with the oculus press esc and you are inside the cockpit of the plane you have choose

7 fly..... esc to re-enter the menu and change all the option you can imagine, (it's like to see a megascreen).

Prepar3d v2 have a lot of planes and you can also use fsx planes..

ask more if you like:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I don't know why people say Direct is borked? All the applications I have tried that included a direct 2 rift exe have worked very well. You get better performance direct by far. It seems to be the developers that dont have the time / dont understand how to code the direct mode properly in order to intergrate it with their existing application. Most of the demo's that work flawlessly have been coded for the rift from the ground up.

As for extended- 120hz+ LCD's have been out for years now, I think I've been using a 120hz LCD for 4 years and just this year I got a 144hz one. So, for those running extended mode and having trouble its not necessary to have a CRT from the stone age to get 75hz+ across all displays, you can simply just use an LCD that goes past 60hz.

I don't know why people say Direct is borked? All the applications I have tried that included a direct 2 rift exe have worked very well. You get better performance direct by far. It seems to be the developers that dont have the time / dont understand how to code the direct mode properly in order to intergrate it with their existing application. Most of the demo's that work flawlessly have been coded for the rift from the ground up.

As for extended- 120hz+ LCD's have been out for years now, I think I've been using a 120hz LCD for 4 years and just this year I got a 144hz one. So, for those running extended mode and having trouble its not necessary to have a CRT from the stone age to get 75hz+ across all displays, you can simply just use an LCD that goes past 60hz.

well i am one having trouble in extended mode because my monitor wont go past 60hz but i have only just bought it so i wont be buying another one anytime soon...not at the price a paid for this one lol

Are you talking about setting the Rift Display Mode to "Direct HMD Access from Apps" and then running oculus programs, or are you talking about double clicking the Direct To Rift exe of the program whilst set to "extend desktop to the HMD" in the options?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

An option is to set a custom resolution for your monitor and have it going at 75hz.

if you use virtual desktop then use your rift to change the resolution as you will possibly have to turn off your monitor so it doesn't get a signal it can't handle.

By accident I left my screen on, a 42" tv and found it sill worked. When I asked the tv to show me what it was running it said 1080p 75Hz, so you learn something everyday. I now know my TV does 75Hz but yet to run DCS to see if it is smoother.

I'll explain what I'm doing with Oculus dk2,

1 set Oculus in extended Mode and set as Primary monitor.

2 turn off oculus and your "normal monitor" become primary

3 installed the free plug-in called DCOC v2.2 or 2.3 I don't remember but last updated one

4 launch prepar3d as usual, during loading appear a dialog that ask you to turn on Oculus and press Enter

5 wear oculus and a new 3d panel appear, you can navigate it with arrow keys, and esc key

6 set all with the oculus press esc and you are inside the cockpit of the plane you have choose

7 fly..... esc to re-enter the menu and change all the option you can imagine, (it's like to see a megascreen).

Prepar3d v2 have a lot of planes and you can also use fsx planes..

ask more if you like:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you. Much appreciated.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

It is very interessant to see how with a new graphic engine like warthunder you get wonderful results: as you can see everything is set to full, and as you see the fps is huge...... no judder at all, and WT support oculus only at beta stage, we cannot use 6dof cockpit but only 3dof

Crossing fingers for edge.....

6y2epu3y.jpghene2y8a.jpg

Sorry for bad res of picture but the setting are clearly set to full and the fps is clear..... a little bit ot but the result are spectacular using a Gtx 970, I7 3770k and 16 gb of ram

To obtain the fps I use msi afterburner and rivatuner service to display the result on screen.

I tried war thunder the other day, in the tutorial the 6dof cockpit seemed horribly broken and I kept getting view snapping and clipping. Is this ok now?

Game itself seemed pretty shallow compared to DCS but the graphics are nice and give a good flight / presence sensation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

I tried war thunder the other day, in the tutorial the 6dof cockpit seemed horribly broken and I kept getting view snapping and clipping. Is this ok now?

Game itself seemed pretty shallow compared to DCS but the graphics are nice and give a good flight / presence sensation.

6dof is not supported, it's a sort of 3dof and half.

But with some edit of config.blk in warthunder directory and you get off to The strange vision of glass in cockpit ( a sort of double vision around glass)

This is The rift part:

oculus{

maxSeparation:r=0.0005

predictionEnabled:b=no

k1:r=0.5

fovMul:r=1.2

edgeScale:r=0.95

zeroParallaxDist:r=3

k2:r=0.666

magnetometerEnabled:b=no

}

You need to edit edgescale to 0.15

And you are right!

Give it a try, it's a wonderful simulator

6dof is not supported, it's a sort of 3dof and half.

But with some edit of config.blk in warthunder directory and you get off to The strange vision of glass in cockpit ( a sort of double vision around glass)

This is The rift part:

oculus{

maxSeparation:r=0.0005

predictionEnabled:b=no

k1:r=0.5

fovMul:r=1.2

edgeScale:r=0.95

zeroParallaxDist:r=3

k2:r=0.666

magnetometerEnabled:b=no

}

You need to edit edgescale to 0.15

And you are right!

Give it a try, it's a wonderful simulator

Thank you :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

So can you look all over in WT as you can in DCS?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

So can you look all over in WT as you can in DCS?

You can look around, up and down and you can also lean over the panel but not too much, the zoom( leaning toward instruments is limited) as stated before is something similar to a 3dof and half not really 6dof but somenthing more than3dof.

But cockpit are not clickable as dcs, but if you have a good stick and throttle and rudder pedal you can command almost everything.

Warthunder is much more a historical battle simulator, with a strange market, you must play battle, over battle to advance and unlock more airplanes. But even during 50 player campaign or battle you don't loose a frame! It cover from WWII era to first jet combat( f86 - mig 15 korean war). Really nice and very accurate graphics and physics

AFAIK it's a AMD + DX9 issue, Nothing to do with DCS.

But then why is this literally the only DX9 game I cannot run on my AMD/DK2?

I've played several and this is the first game with a problem.

On a related note, anyone know when EDGE will be out?! I have about 100$ worth of DCS modules that I've never used just sitting here waiting.

So war thunder has solved the IPD issue making it unplayable for more people than could ?

With Nvidia card seem yes. In an case there are post on the oculus rift dev forum to get rid of ipd problems, (you create a profile edited and saved only for WT)

:pilotfly:

It would be interesting to see if edge is optimized engine for get full use of CPU multicore and GPU, because with modern graphics card like GTX (from 660 to the last 970/980) DCS use only a minor percentage of GPU power, never more than 65% of their calculation power......

I've noticed that if you use Vsync, the gpu sits on 45% max that's a pity because if you use Oculus more power is more fps.

My GTX 970 from MSI Gaming edition on a single display without fps limit (editing config.lua and set fps limit to 999) reach constantly 160/170 fps with some 220 fps hits and drop below 140 fps during firing, with a surround setup with 3 monintor and bezel correction 6020x1080 in my case

the fps is always up to 85 fps constantly even in congested situation.

If I use super sampling upscaling and displaying a 4k res obtaining a monstrous resolution I get 55/75 fps.

Edited by mgsanna