Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refresh rate is closely related to FPS.

75Hz just means the screen can display a maximum of 75fps.

If you have a 120Hz screen at 60fps, you wouldn't see a difference between it and a 60Hz screen.

Low persistence is the ability to illuminate a pixel for less than the duration of the entire frame to eliminate smear.

Check this out for a much more detailed description:

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/down-the-vr-rabbit-hole-fixing-judder/

Edited by howie87

2K is 1080p

Yeah, my mistake... I misunderstood what a friend was telling me. Will edit my post. Thanks Skate

Oh and saw this in my twitter feed from Dslyecxi. Not entirely sure how accurate it is and/or if it has been posted before http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/. Its a simulation oh how it looks through the Rift. Mainly to show screen door effect and blur.

From what I hear the motion blur is a little over exaggerated but the screen door is pretty accurate.

Edited by Scoggs

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Refresh rate is closely related to FPS.

75Hz just means the screen can display a maximum of 75fps.

If you have a 120Hz screen at 60fps, you wouldn't see a difference between it and a 60Hz screen.

Low persistence is the ability to illuminate a pixel for less than the duration of the entire frame to eliminate smear.

Check this out for a much more detailed description:

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/down-the-vr-rabbit-hole-fixing-judder/

So do you think Oculus are completely overlooking this and are at risk of falling flat on their face because nobody has the hardware to run their new toy?

So do you think Oculus are completely overlooking this and are at risk of falling flat on their face because nobody has the hardware to run their new toy?

It means that they want to convince everybody to use simpler graphics instead.

When making something for the Rift it is important to remember that fast rendering with simpler graphics always perceived by the user in a better way than beautiful graphics which doesn't render 60 times a second in a persistent fashion.

If you have stutters that makes you vomit it's worse than if you have much simpler shadows in the game, in this sort of sense.

P.S. I'm very curious how ED will solve this with DCS. It basically should never ever drop frames, not by bomb exploding, not by smoke, not by flares popping, it should be smooth as silk, preferably at 90 FPS or higher.

Edited by Mnemonic

It means that they want to convince everybody to use simpler graphics instead.

When making something for the Rift it is important to remember that fast rendering with simpler graphics always perceived by the user in a better way than beautiful graphics which doesn't render 60 times a second in a persistent fashion.

If you have stutters that makes you vomit it's worse than if you have much simpler shadows in the game, in this sort of sense.

P.S. I'm very curious how ED will solve this with DCS. It basically should never ever drop frames, not by bomb exploding, not by smoke, not by flares popping, it should be smooth as silk, preferably at 90 FPS or higher.

We have been warned:)

EDGE will support Quad SLI/Xfire

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Yeah I think a lot of people think it will have to render 1080p(Dk2) or 1440p(hopefully CV1) for each eye when in reality it is rendering half that per eye. That being said, on the current engine I get 50-60 depending on what is going on(with 1 viewpoint @1440p)... Well I do get lower when looking through the TGP at towns with AI in them.

I wonder if low persistence will help with the lower framerate or at least the stuttering.

Edit:

Oh and rift doesn't do 3d like a 3d monitor where it needs the high fps to alternate the images. But from what I am hearing you need it for less motion sickness.

One day (long time I know) I think it would be cool to see DCS in 8k/eye @240hz :)

Yeah your only rendering a total of 1080p or 1440p for both eyes but rendering two cameras in games essentially halfs your fps. For me it's been just like rendering to a 3d monitor but with lower resolution. The resolution isn't as big a deal as the 2 renders for stereo. Optimizing that will help alot.

-michael

No, what they are saying is that the screens used must have refresh rates of at least 90hz to give the best results for low persistence, nothing at all to do with game fps.

This is not correct

They are using new OLED very quick blank screens for low persistance to have sharp images pulse at you very quickly. 2ms-3ms pulse of image then black. The 75 and up refresh rates are for fps they want it matched and they want vsync with no tearing.

If you have the SDK you can read all their notes and discussions on how best to create content for the rift. They definitely want very high fps with zero latency to create an environment that is perfectly in sync with your heads motions so you don't get sick. It's all the minor discrepancies from reality that are making people sick so they are tackling and trying to eliminate all of them.

If you're getting only 30fps and your pan your head fast with a high speed OLED screen your going to get big time strobing in your motion. With a quick head turn you need high fps.

-michael

Yeah, my mistake... I misunderstood what a friend was telling me. Will edit my post. Thanks Skate

Oh and saw this in my twitter feed from Dslyecxi. Not entirely sure how accurate it is and/or if it has been posted before http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/. Its a simulation oh how it looks through the Rift. Mainly to show screen door effect and blur.

From what I hear the motion blur is a little over exaggerated but the screen door is pretty accurate.

The blur should be gone in DK2. I think the screen door at this link is assuming screen size stays constant and only resolution changes.

They wanted DK1 to be 5" diagonal. They shipped 7". Now DK2 is closer to 5" and is 1080p. So you've got more pixels in a smaller space. Both increase resolution and help with screen door. I think DK2 will be significantly better than it looks at this site. I think if they get to 1440p it will look way better than this site.

http://kotaku.com/facebook-buys-oculus-rift-for-2-billion-1551487939

I hope this isn't true, but reports are saying Facebook has purchased Oculus VR for $2 billion.

Not sure what the problem is... Or am I missing something.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Think about being required to have a FB account with your real name attached to it to use the product, and how much further that line of thought can take you....

I deleted my FB a year ago because I don't trust them and haven't looked back.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Damn, I so wanted to see an IPO from Oculus.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Damn, I so wanted to see an IPO from Oculus.

I would have been all over that lol. But the cat is out of the bag now

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

I would have been all over that lol. But the cat is out of the bag now

I would still like to know the details of the transaction (cash, FB stock, etc.).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Seems like this device DOA now according to a lot of comments on FB.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• ED Team

Anyone feel like Mark Zuckerberg's announcement is like something from tron, I could just picture him stood in front of a crowd giving a crazy man speech

Kevin Flynn - The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day...

I am not sure what to think, but he seems to of made a promise about the gaming side of things which is good

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Seems like this device DOA now according to a lot of comments on FB.

Just consider the source.

I think all the negative comments are from fanboy's (myself included)being heartbroken that they sold to facebook. They will get over it in time. After I calmed down I think this is definitely in the best interests of VR. Who wont take Oculus seriously now? Also the PRESSURE to put out a killer product is even greater,you dont get 2 billion dollars to put out something that is garbage. Now people like NVidia and ATI will have to kick it into overdrive to make more powerful graphics cards cheaper if they want a part of the billions of dollars facebook will make from this.I think this gives Oculus the time and resources to put out a much better product than they would have without facebook's support.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog