Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

I wear glasses (farsighted here) and was concerned as well. It would not be possible for me to wear my glasses with the Rift. However, I found that I could see rather well with the stuff I have tried. I have not gone through the trouble of setting DCS up with it.

To me it seems like I will be able to use it acceptably but I won't know for sure until I have a consumer version running DCS.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that Yo-Yo wears glasses.

Just curious but if you're farsighted then wouldn't everything be blurry with the screen inches from your eyeballs? These units look pretty heavy but I guess they're not?

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wear my sunglasses at night, no problem here when I had my unit. :) (seriously)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just curious but if you're farsighted then wouldn't everything be blurry with the screen inches from your eyeballs? These units look pretty heavy but I guess they're not?

No, that's what the lenses in the rift are for, nobody could focus on just a screen inches from the eyeballs.

No, that's what the lenses in the rift are for...

What he said. :)

As for the weight, it was noticeable but not uncomfortable at all.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

What he said. :)

As for the weight, it was noticeable but not uncomfortable at all.

I have hats and hockey helmets that weigh significantly more than Rift's first prototype.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

True, but your average Oculus enthusiast is far from hockey player fitness standard ... :D

Add weights to your TIR and headphones to prepare! ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I play with glasses no problem at all, the pair i wear are made for the distance from chair to screen so about 2 foot for focus and they are narrow enough to go in the rift just.

on the leap front i can confirm it is not and IMO will not be usable for us simmers, luckily I sold mine on a auction site we all know for just over what I paid for it, its not my fault they could have bought a new one for less.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

on the leap front i can confirm it is not and IMO will not be usable for us simmers, luckily I sold mine on a auction site we all know for just over what I paid for it, its not my fault they could have bought a new one for less.

I glanced at Ebay the other day and there were around 80 LeapMotion offers. Many are priced right around retail for reasons I cannot grasp.

I glanced at Ebay the other day and there were around 80 LeapMotion offers. Many are priced right around retail for reasons I cannot grasp.

now count how many Oculus Rift DK1's there are :)

Dunno what the sudden issue is with weight, nothing is heavier than Nintendo Virtual Boy HMD.

On the weight front it is really comfortable as it is supported by the over head strap and the face rather than sitting on your nose, I can still just see out of the bottom by the nose to glance at the keyboard, I have been thinking about cutting the bottom edge out so I have a clear view playing in a darkish room shouldn't let too much light in.

This is the first bit of tech that has grabbed me and felt right even with the screen door and problems with seeing the corners which are being sorted, I can fly the aircraft and see the instruments seeing things like mfds and ground objects at distance is a different matter.

but overall a big thumbs up..

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Well, this might prove to be an answer to the 'operate the virtual cockpit' problem -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yeitechnology/priovr-suit-up-game-on

Still having the ability to use a HOTAS system will be important, as will (crucially for me at least) seeing an avatar in game reaching for the dials as you do to allow for proper placement of fingers and hitting the right switchl.

Something more than just seeing a floating cross anyways...

Cheers,

Smirkza

In case you've missed it, there are mods to fix the HUDs in 3D for the A-10 and the Ka-50

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109341

Thanks, I know:thumbup:. To be honest, I knew the fix for the Ka-50, as I've not flown the hog yet. Nevertheless, you may agree that it's better if it's fixed by ED in world. That should assure compatibility with all modules, I hope.

Well, this might prove to be an answer to the 'operate the virtual cockpit' problem -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yeitechnology/priovr-suit-up-game-on

Still having the ability to use a HOTAS system will be important, as will (crucially for me at least) seeing an avatar in game reaching for the dials as you do to allow for proper placement of fingers and hitting the right switchl.

Something more than just seeing a floating cross anyways...

I had a private talk with those folks some time ago and their tech is simply very impressive. They also added small handheld controllers to their systems as an upgrade from their first Kickstarter attempt, so the system will be usable in small rooms even if you don't have an omnidirectional treadmill. The only thing I'm not quite sure about yet is how you will use your fingers, which will be of major importance when trying to click cockpit switches. Perhaps we can use this in conjunction with a Myo band or an Emotiv Epoc or Insight.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I had a private talk with those folks some time ago and their tech is simply very impressive. They also added small handheld controllers to their systems as an upgrade from their first Kickstarter attempt, so the system will be usable in small rooms even if you don't have an omnidirectional treadmill. The only thing I'm not quite sure about yet is how you will use your fingers, which will be of major importance when trying to click cockpit switches. Perhaps we can use this in conjunction with a Myo band or an Emotiv Epoc or Insight.

Aye, I was wondering about the fingers too. I don't want to hold a controller, I want to go from holding my HOTAS then be able to reach out with either hand and just flick the switch.

This is where we will need an avatar of some kind in game with both arms functional, or at least 2 'pointers' to allow either hand to work (save reaching across to the left panel with the right hand or vice versa).

Also, I think this is possibly better than the omni -

http://www.dvice.com/2013-9-25/virtualizer-vr-treadmill-gives-virtuix-omni-run-its-money

For one it allows vertical movement to be taken in to account (crouching through to jumping). Plus, it allows you to sit in the device which will be great for things like ARMA et al.

The next couple of years are gonna be pretty damn great!

Cheers,

Smirkza

I know, I actually helped a bit with the Virtualizer development and know the guys personally. Spent some time in it and did some soldering and sensor development for the prototypes. Damn exciting thing, if you have the opportunity, try it, you won't be disappointed!

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

In the early days of space flight the middle glove finger was straight while the other fingers curved. You don't need to be able to articulate your digits to slap buttons.

Interesting, thanks for the info! Would perhaps work if your virtual arms worked that way, but in the real world I'd like to be able to hold the stick without my middle finger sticking into the air (which would probably interfere with the touchscreen when going nose down).

Is there any finger tracking solution besides Leap in the pipeline right now?

You only need to track the position of the hand to put the cursor over the switch. Finger tracking is required only for finger gestures but I think it could be possible to operate switches without. If the position tracking is precise enough you could flick switches with the motion of the hand, ie. swipe the cursor down while in very close proximity to the switch and it will move down one notch and similarly for upward flick. Other option would be to have some kind of "button" in your gloves so that if you press your thumb and index finger together it sends a mouse left click or some other key press to the computer and right mouse button with middle finger and thumb.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

+1 for finger tracking. As for modeling in-game pilot's hand ( and the rest of the body ) is not necessary, and super hard in my opinion to look natural together with the tracking. Cursor should be sufficient solution.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 10 Pro x64, Asus PG279Q, i7-6700K, Nvidia GTX1080TI, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pro Rudder Pedals, TIR5+Trackclip