Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that I am under NDA, there is very little I can say I'm afraid. Just that the latency is so much reduced that it was unnoticeable and the resolution/contrast was much better than the DKs.

We hope to have the DKs arrive in Moscow soon.

Awesome, thanks for putting effort into the OR integration.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

This sounds great indeed !

Nice to hear your are working on OR integration.

DCS will simply be amazing with OR+Hotas.

Can't wait !

HW : 4790K @4.6 / GTX 1080ti 11GB / 16 GB / Asus ROG Formula VI / Acer Predator 32" 4K Gsync / X-55 Rhino / Oculus Rift-S / TrackIR

• Combined Arms/Supercarrier/Nevada TTR/Persian Gulf/Normandy
  • F-16C/FA-18C/AV-8B Harrier/F5-TigerII/SA342-Gazelle/M2000-C/L-39 Albatros/C-101/MiG-21/F-86F Sabre/Mi-8MTV2/UH-1H Huey/A-10C Warthog/Black Shark 2/Flaming Cliff 3/Hawk T1A(RIP)
  • WWII : Spitfire/Bf-109 Kurfurst/Fw-190 Dora/P-51D Mustang

So this is actually a bit different that what I was attempting to do.

I wanted to make DCS render once and use the view twice. I'm not sure why you'd want a left and right view without 3d since your taking the hit of rendering both. My lua edit was using Center twice and shifting it to split the screen. I wanted DCS to render once and use 2x. Left and Right would be two render passes. The Center Center trick does not work. It renders it once and moves it 2x and you only see it in the final position.

Did it back before eye shift was implemented. Doubt there'd be a DCS based work around for doubling a single render.

Yeah,Outerra is outstanding with the rift,too bad I cant get my warthog throttle to work properly with it,its all over the place.

Use TARGET GUI, run any profile - combined axes will solve this throttle issue.

Warthog throttle axes use non-standart format - http://members.aon.at/mfranz/warthog.html

http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=2100.msg22515#msg22515

Edited by ReviZorro

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

The news that WAGS is "excited" with Oculus is very re-assuring .... personally I cant wait for this to be available in a full commercial public user version.

Tying the cursor to the fixed bore sight is likely to become the dev's most popular way of interacting in the rift because it is very easy to apply.

But the coolest method IMHO is to have the cursor be a 3D in world object that stays where it is put and is dragged in frame when your view moves off the cursor limit.

Unfortunately this version is probably much more difficult to code into the oculus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Use TARGET GUI, run any profile - combined axes will solve this throttle issue.

Warthog throttle axes use non-standart format

Thanks a lot,that fixed the problem:)

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

Zotac GTX980ti 6GB Amp Extreme

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

But the coolest method IMHO is to have the cursor be a 3D in world object that stays where it is put and is dragged in frame when your view moves off the cursor limit.
If it's ever done, I hope the "dragging" feature is optional, because I'd prefer the cursor to stay where I left it no matter where I'm looking.

EDIT: I've been thinking about it and now I'm not that sure...

Edited by average_pilot

so i am thinking...

lets say that both the oculus and DCS were integrated and the oculus is available..

ME THINKS..

diveplane will be working overtime :)

im imagining he will make the aircraft sounds amazing..

to look around is already impressive, but to have 6dof/3d sound will be icing on cake..

i imagine being in the cockpit, switches snapping echoing left and right, sensation of engines spooling up..

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

The news that WAGS is "excited" with Oculus is very re-assuring .... personally I cant wait for this to be available in a full commercial public user version.

Tying the cursor to the fixed bore sight is likely to become the dev's most popular way of interacting in the rift because it is very easy to apply.

Unfortunately this version is probably much more difficult to code into the oculus.

The main problem with this method is that it requires you to use another control to move the cursor. Actually TrackIR was invented for moving a cursor for neck down paralyzed people not for moving a head in a game so they kinda came up with it. : )

Needing to reach for a mouse in a cockpit is wierder than looking at what u want to control.

The ideal would be to have a kinect and you actually reach for the control and see your arm matched to the reach when you get to right place the control would be control able and finger shapes could activate. This is going to be possible soon. But you wont feel the cockpit. You could have mouse on hotas and that would help. I think a serious sim needs both for the range of tastes and hardware available so people can make the sim work best for their setup.

-mikey

I will still build physical cockpits to use with the Rift. The cockpit will be a little simpler and perhaps a bit cheaper as a result, since the main purpose is for tactile feedback. The construction will be limited to only essential structure and switches (that are active, not dummy), no displays needed and aesthetics are optional.

The only issue at the beginning will be the lack of an in-game body. Overtime there may be some solid solutions which would involve a kinect-like system or a glove-like system to detect and render the hands (arms and body as well) in-game, which is a reasonable solution for a sit-down experience. But in the short term, it is feasible to use natural point technology or similar technology to control the mouse cursor only, using gloves or a similar solution with IR LED's or reflectors on the hands - the cursor used for hand location reference only. It may even be viable to use the cockpit without any indication of where your hands are if you are able to become comfortable with where things are in relation to your body. I have no experience in the Rift, so I'm not certain if the hand-eye coordination, or lack there of, would have a large or negligible affect on this.

The obvious, and in my opinion best, solution for simulators with a static position and environment (i.e. cockpit) like a flight sim, is to use the Rift in combination with a physical cockpit while having a method to detect the hands and fingers that are rendered in-game. I'm certain there are other simpit builders here already actively pursuing this. Personally, I'm waiting for the the F/A 18C and will build a tactile replica of the in-game cockpit as it is modelled by ED.

Edited by Razi

...the resolution/contrast was much better than the DKs.

Wags, can you confirm that Crystal Cove is 1080p? What about Hud, gauges and struments readability with new kit?

Thanks in advance!

Bye

Phant

Edited by phant

AMVI

I believe he mentioned that due to the NDA, there's isn't much he can elaborate.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What I would like to know is when they get rift support integrated into DCS are they going to release it to us or wait for the Consumer rift to come out since it will have higher resolution and 6dof.

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

And the plot thickens.Sony "accidently" announces that a VR hmd is in development for the PS4.And it is supposedly on par with Valve's VR demo. I dont see any way in hell they are gonna be able to pull that off with a PS4 unless they use graphics from the 90's!! http://www.techradar.com/au/news/gaming/did-sony-just-confirm-its-ps4-virtual-reality-headset--1221045

Intel i7 6700k OC 4.7ghz

32 GB DDR4 3200 RAM

Oculus Rift CV1

Thrustmaster Warthog

And the plot thickens.Sony "accidently" announces that a VR hmd is in development for the PS4.And it is supposedly on par with Valve's VR demo. I dont see any way in hell they are gonna be able to pull that off with a PS4 unless they use graphics from the 90's!! http://www.techradar.com/au/news/gaming/did-sony-just-confirm-its-ps4-virtual-reality-headset--1221045

Im not wearing any HMD with Giant red and blue glowing balls on it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I dont see any way in hell they are gonna be able to pull that off with a PS4 unless they use graphics from the 90's!! http://www.techradar.com/au/news/gaming/did-sony-just-confirm-its-ps4-virtual-reality-headset--1221045
I don't see it even in PC. Graphics are gonna get simpler for VR, but not that much... I guess :cry:

Look at all the trouble that most people have to achieve acceptable fps levels in DCS. Not to mention the stability of those fps.

Im not wearing any HMD with Giant red and blue glowing balls on it.
It's fascinating how a technology can be accepted or not depending on how cool the user feels using it.
Edited by average_pilot

Look at all the trouble that most people have to achieve acceptable fps levels in DCS. Not to mention the stability of those fps.

I would consider DCS a poor example in that regard.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

In what sense? In general I consider flight simulators very hard to make them run smoothly, specially compared to normal games.

DCS has too many areas that are FPS issues beyond what can be attributed to large view distances.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Perhaps EDGE will come with Oculus support already working from day 1? One can dream... And perhaps it even does away with a lot of the graphics performance problems. After all, I recall Wags himself saying that the renderer is as advanced if not even more so than the one used in Outerra.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Better stereo settings try these

I'm still tweaking my stereo use but this is even better and more natural on my eyes. A bit more relaxed focusing and more natural. With the increased seperation I used to have set my eyes actually had to refocus on each depth from near to far. This is much more natural setting that looks right and works from near to far for me.

I also increased my game res from 1280x800 to 1366x768 and upped AA to 4x. I'm getting playable fps but the image is much improved. I've got many tracks now and could make a video if anyone wants to see it on youtube. I can also make red/blue 3d video for youtube for those that don't have a rift but want to see the 3D. Any interest in videos on youtube?

Better stereo settings try these:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('Stereo');

Description = 'Stereo render two viewports for left and right eye respectivelly'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = screen.width * 0.5;

height = screen.height;

viewDx = -0.12;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = screen.aspect / 2;

eye_shift = -0.025;