Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the resolution will be at least 1080p, but I would be really surprised if they don't increase it before the launch. I talked to Palmer Luckey personally at Gamescom (our booth was next to Oculus) and he said they are trying to get the best and highest-res panel they can get their hands on. The reasoning for not doing different models with different resolutions is that they need to focus on a single model of panel so they can really harness the economy of scale better.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

You can use the Rift's tracker data with FaceTrackNoIR and it will enable you to feed it into DCSW via its TrackIR API. As for the visuals, you can try Vireo, VorpX (when it comes out) or get in touch with Brad Hawthorne of NTHUSIM to perhaps get a Beta version of NTHUSIM HMD.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

my only concern currently is the resolution. I have not tried the rift, however, since the resolution will be 1080p which apparently result in something like 720x1200 pixels (missing pixels due to the area between the eyes not being used) will decrease the amount of detail.

While it might seem fine in most game to have a 700-800 pixels width resolution, we are talking about a flight simulator here, where having a really detailed surrounding is really important in order to spot these little planes, tanks, helicopters kilometers aways.

I already heard that a lots of people were angry about the 720p version since they could barely see more than a few meters away due to pixels appearing too big, I am afraid the same thing will occurs on the 1080. I believe that to get something as nice as we currently observe on our machine would require at least 1080p per eye, so more than 3800x1200 pixels for the entire display, also heavily increasing the GPU load.

Whats the opinion about that from the guys that tried the 1080p version in a flight simulator-like environment?

Edited by ShaZe88

my only concern currently is the resolution. I have not tried the rift, however, since the resolution will be 1080p which apparently result in something like 720x1200 pixels (missing pixels due to the area between the eyes not being used) will decrease the amount of detail.

That's interesting that you know what resolution screen they're going to be using in the consumer version.

Where'd you find that information?

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Oculus Rift Support

Think about it, using the Oculus Rift in DCS! That seems absolutely amazing! the emersion would be off the charts! I'm planing on buying one and if this game had support i would be a happy pilot!

Eagle Dynamics get on it!

Intel Core i7 3770k @4.5Ghz AMD HD R7770 XFX Black Edition ASUS P8-Z77 v Deluxe motherboard G-skill 16g of RAM @ 1886 Mhz :pilotfly: :joystick:

I think it would be cool as well, but the wife already makes fun of my pro clip for my TrackIR :)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

As I understand it, the concern is that it will be difficult to use your peripherals properly with the oculus blocking out view of them (and your hands).

I suppose there would indeed be some disfigured fingers from hastily reaching for the mouse and repeatedly hitting just about everything else than it, but if you ask me that is such a small price to pay for the gigantic boost in immersion. Who needs fingers that bend at the joints, when you can happily gaffa tape your hand to the joystick anyway. :joystick:

I feel like the rift is only gobsmacking if you dont' already use the Trackir a lot.

I've only been using TIR for two years but, to me, the Rift feels like an order of magnitude difference in immersion. Even if DCS does not support it, I will have a consumer version on order as soon as it is available.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I personally think for a flight sim such as the A-10 or black shark this is a bit of a non starter. There are so many controls to press that you would have problems with a mouse in the goggles. It may look better but I think it is going to slow down your responses to things as specially when in combat situation where you have many buttons to press all over the place at the same time as being shoot at.

Unless someone has a way round this?

I personally think for a flight sim such as the A-10 or black shark this is a bit of a non starter. There are so many controls to press that you would have problems with a mouse in the goggles. It may look better but I think it is going to slow down your responses to things as specially when in combat situation where you have many buttons to press all over the place at the same time as being shoot at.

Unless you are talking FC aircraft, in a combat situation, most every button I need is on my HOTAS, which makes it a non-problem

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

From what I'm reading EVERY flight sim/space sim developer is adding rift support except........DCS.

I doubt the coders have the time to consider OR support as they are still in the process of building EDGE.;)

I also wonder about interacting with the radio menus and the clickable cockpit in VR. If however there is a workable solution I have money set aside for one of these.

Isn't this how real pilots have to do all those functions? Look at a button and push it. I definitely want one of these when they come out.

I was a bit nervous watching that video on the last page. Looks like if they don't offer some sort of scalability on the head movements, people will be smacking their faces into desks, walls, computer equipment and many other possible dangers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109