Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

Hej Guys! I have the opportunity to borrow a friends occulus for a week as he is out of town, is there a quick setup guide or faq or something to get me up and running? Would it be possible to download the software or drivers needed for someone like me who isn´t a registered owner/pre-purchaser?

Many thanks in advance! :)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hej Guys! I have the opportunity to borrow a friends occulus for a week as he is out of town, is there a quick setup guide or faq or something to get me up and running? Would it be possible to download the software or drivers needed for someone like me who isn´t a registered owner/pre-purchaser?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Register in the developer section on http://www.oculusvr.com/, anyone is allowed to register, there are lots of great demos to be found in the forums. There are also user guides (setup/faq) in the download section.

If you want to get it running in DCS you'll be limited to 2D only, but you can use Oculus Overlay plus Freetrack to get it done. I would recommend getting the Outerra alpha if you want the best flying experience in the Rift, very immersive. Warthunder is also fun and has native Rift support.

• Like 1

So I tried the HD prototype last week. It is a great improvement, but still not there yet. There still needs to be more resolution, but it was nice to see that the screendoor effect has been reduced greatly, almost to the extent of it being completely gone. I played Hawken for a few minutes, it was really nice but the motion blur still was there - I just don't know whether this was due to the panel or some motion blur effect in-game.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I saw that some manufacturer was showing off a 5.5" 2560x1440 panel the other day. That's the kind of stuff we need to see more of so Oculus has panel options. :)

http://www.techspot.com/news/53706-lg-announces-55-inch-2560-x-1440-smartphone-display.html

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

This game needs Oculus Rift support fast.

Given that X-Plane, FSX and War Thunder have all been given some form of Oculus Rift support, I would have thought this sim would have been looking to offer the same thing. To be honest, I'm quite shocked that they are not looking to implement it as quickly as possible given that it takes flight sims to a whole new dimension. I own a Oculus Rift and I can tell you it offers a completely new experience. The only mistake they made with the Rift so far was releasing a Dev kit with a crappy screen resolution. The new build has a HD screen and a much better resolution and I feel a bit let down they didn't offer this in the Dev kit I got.

No thanks.

Track IR is more than sufficient.

Besides, if we get ED to go and start making that available, you can kiss any updates good bye. Just look at where Nevada is right now. Or edge. Or cluster bombs. Or AA missiles. Or... you get the point.

There are a lot of things that need ironing out, and though it would be nice down the line, it's not a necessity as long as we all have track IR available to us. At least that's my humble opinion.

No thanks.

Track IR is more than sufficient.

Besides, if we get ED to go and start making that available, you can kiss any updates good bye. Just look at where Nevada is right now. Or edge. Or cluster bombs. Or AA missiles. Or... you get the point.

There are a lot of things that need ironing out, and though it would be nice down the line, it's not a necessity as long as we all have track IR available to us. At least that's my humble opinion.

You have obviously read nothing about the Oculus rift before making that comment. I read that it is relatively easy to add support to games like this. There are also drivers that do it for other games so it wouldn't necessary mean ED doing anything. You might change your mind if you actually owned a Rift.

"Sufficient" is not really an argument. Some people might argue that flying with a 2-button stick is really sufficient and that the plug-n-play support for the Warthog stick is just a gimmick. All the buttons are on the keyboard, aren't they?

Flying with the Rift or similar devices is the future, it is really a world of a difference. Of course the tech is not where it should be right now, but given the fact that EDGE is currently in the making, adding the warping support would be very nice to have and they would have all the homework done before the Rift's official consumer release which would give them a nice boost in sales once the Rifts hit the market. It is easier to do when doing a new IG than patching it while it is already in production I think. Also they would only need to do the stereoscopy and the warping, the headtracking stuff is already there, you only would need to read the data from a different source. It is even possible to feed the Rift's tracker data via the TrackIR API (even though NaturalPoint try to block that by encrypting their API, which is something of a dick move to begin with).

I have both a large screen with TrackIR and a Rift - flying with the Rift feels much more like the real thing. At the moment you will perform better in combat with the TrackIR setup etc, but in terms of immersiveness the Rift beats anything else hands down. Air races with the Mustang for example are a possible application where it would really really shine.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Personally, I think ED are making a huge mistake if they don't implement support for the Rift. There is NOTHING in the world of pc hardware causing as big a stir as the Rift. And, when it goes full retail, there will be a clamour of people worldwide purchasing it. And when they've got it they'll be hungry for whatever quality software they can grab to get the fullest experience possible. Games such as War Thunder, iRacing etc can expect a huge influx of new customers as people go a' hunting.

When I first purchased my 3D TV, a few years ago, there were hardly any 3D Blu Rays to buy. So guess what? I ended up purchasing titles that ordinarily wouldn't interest me, just so that I could experience my new toy. When the Rift hits the shelves it will be exactly the same. People who aren't necessarily bothered about racing or flying WILL be buying into War Thunder, iRacing and whatever else they can lay their hands on. And if word gets round that not only does DCS sit right at the top of the flight sim tree, but it also has full Rift integration, then it's a no brainer.

I see that IL2 Battle of Stalingrad has announced full Oculus Rift integration. If people experience that and get their socks blown off, and the way the game is looking so far there is every chance that they will, then DCS just might start to find it's customer base waning/defecting. At the end of the day simming is all about immersion. And, if the Rift is able to fully immerse me to the point that I come away shaking and sweat-soaked, then that's the experience I shall be seeking. Lets face it, as fantastic as the DCS models and physics are, the world itself is a bit of a stinker. Once I get down low, there is little sensation of speed, and the scenery is just so dire and dated. I don't think that Edge, from the screenshots I've seen so far, is gonna really change much of that. Certainly not in a flat 2D world that's for sure.

Bring on the Rift and let's move forward :)

I'm not sure why the keyboard talk is still going on....

You can see it ......... If it is on your lap , or lap height.

I was just using it 5 min ago flying the Mig 29 in Outtera. Btw, best rift experience so far!

But I won't see my touch screen, which is mounted in fromt of me, in my case right? I would need too look up an peek below the oculus rift. Is that correct?

A toggable transparency-level would be such a great feature for the rift.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

You will not need a touch monitor( Front console)... unless it is used as a side console.

Now, I can see a mixture of the rift and some panels, such as the cdu, radio's, and gear lever. You will be able to see those panels fine if you have them on the lower consoles, and it will not ruin the in cockpit experience.

How would I use my MFCDs then? Be it the Thrustmaster MFCDs or the ones from my virtual-3D-cockpit?

The use of periphery in conjunction with Oculus Rift is it's one big downside currently.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

If you want to use mfd's etc.. then don't worry about the rift and stay with the flat 2d monitor.

You guys are wearing me out....The rift is totally different and you will not understand unless you test it out.

It seems folks don't like change around here... I've seen every excuse not to accept a completely new way of gaming which is by far more immersive then any other option including full motion sims.(Yes, I have hundreds of hours in level D sims) Also, Matt has sung the same song... "I can't see my keyboard"... I just don't understand the thought process of some here...

My advice is go research...

Edited by Flim

I think people need to try the Rift before they commentate on it. I mean, you cannot give your opinion on a football match unless you have seen it can you? I own a Rift, so I am better placed to give an opinion. All I can say is if this game doesn't support the Rift by the time the consumer version is out, then it will lose a big portion of players. Given the fact others are making filght sims with Rift support I know where my money will be going.

At the moment the resolution isn't that good on the Rift, but because of immersion people are still choosing to play games with it over a better resolution. It has since had another new build with a better resolution and as screens get better so will the Rift.

Edited by Dudester22

I'm in the pro-rift camp, mostly because whatever John Carmack touches is generally technically great. I predict that many games that use the rift will implement a kind of "squint" button, which will zoom your view slightly to allow a closer look at a whatever you're looking directly at. This will alleviate most concerns about distant (bogies) and/or fine detail (dials) being difficult to see. If it's done properly it shouldn't be disconcerting.

If you want to use mfd's etc.. then don't worry about the rift and stay with the flat 2d monitor.

You guys are wearing me out....The rift is totally different and you will not understand unless you test it out.

It seems folks don't like change around here... I've seen every excuse not to accept a completely new way of gaming which is by far more immersive then any other option including full motion sims.(Yes, I have hundreds of hours in level D sims) Also, Matt has sung the same song... "I can't see my keyboard"... I just don't understand the thought process of some here...

My advice is go research...

Hi, Flim

Don't get me wrong! I am looking forward to the oR and holding back on my planned Triple Screen Setup. I am neither a fanboy of oR nor am I oppsoed to it, but I do beleive in the concept of VR.

But when I am "heading for oR" I need to understand the implication of using oR instead of monitors. And one major point obviousely is "perioherials". You just can't see them. I am sure that there will be a solution for this, but I am trying to figure out the best option for me to cope with this drawback.

So, asking again more precisely, how do YOU use your mfcd osb11 for instance? Are you using a mouse in the virtual 3d cockpit? How do YOU do it currently?

Also we, in the vJaBoG32, working intensively with, 9-line briefings, lots of charts, and specific briefings, etc, need to peek below the rift to manage the charts. But again, peaking below does work, as you said. So, I can imagine that handling a keyboard, mouse, charts, and a pen could work.

ATM, I just have no idea how to use all other non-HOTAS-bound functions, that I do not want to remember the key-combinations on my keyboard.

I do appreciate, sharing your findings and comments when experimenting with oR.

Still, a transparency / see-through toggle function would be absolutely great, IMHO.

Edited by JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

I personally never fly with keyboard (I always put it away, which is also why I hate when people start talking to me in chat when I am flying :D) so using OR would not change my need for it, I don't need to see it as I never use it anyway, that's why you have HOTAS and real switches, all of which you can use the feeling (I know exactly where is each one) but also, any cockpit that is clickable, I can reach my mouse any time without looking at it simply because I am so used to my hand position every time I am using it... I see no issue at all to use and fly with OR and I personally can't wait till it goes retail so I can get it and ditch 3 monitors setup... it will finally increase my FPS and I will get much better immersion... you can't beat that!

No longer active in DCS...