Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

tobaschi

Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion  

437 members have voted

1. 1. Oculus Rift and DCS World Discussion

• 599$ did not faze you, and YOU PRE-ORDER IT!
    • 599$ puts me into bankrupcy - I will not spend that kind of money - WILL NOT BUY
    • on the fence, will BUY LATER (at retail launch)

So is the third-party model of DCS reserved for aircraft? If not, someone could come up with a module for supporting the Rift that way. If ED don't want to do it themselves, at least let somebody to it. It would be nice to have some official word before starting to try.

Air-racing in the Mustang with a Rift is too nice, combat will need a much higher resolution. What I wouldn't give to have 4k DCS on a Rift...

In other news: check out the Emotic Insight on Kickstarter, it is an evolution from their Epoc controller. It is basically mind-reading to keyboard commands, you can also control a pointer with it, perhaps that is a better option for pit-clicking than the less-than-perfect Leap. I really need to get me that thing to experiment.

Also, Leap Motion has messed up my order. Customer support is pretty awful, their social media pages are full of complaints.

I'm part of the L-39 dev team and 3rd party access cannot modify the view ports to our knowledge.

As far as keyboard, overlay the keyboard on the screen and use head tracking to tap the keys. Works just fine in VorpX, no mind reading required. I'm gonna keep sayin it :D

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why the keyboard talk is still going on....

You can see it ......... If it is on your lap , or lap height.

I was just using it 5 min ago flying the Mig 29 in Outtera. Btw, best rift experience so far!

Any new rifters out there?

I have been playing around with Lunar flight if any of you all need some good recommendations...

I think we are getting close to modding the current rift with 1080p screens... hopefully in the next month or so.

9.7" is too big, its all about pixel density per inch not overall resolution.

Meh, it's all about overall resolution. Pixel density is dependant of the distance. So, if Rift optics allow for variable distance between screen and lens, then the only issue is about if it's comfortable enough and weird enough to wear a 10'' screen on your head.

---

My real concern is about resolution. 2k for 2 eyes with such a wide fow wouldn't be enough almost surely. So why don't they put 2 fullhd screens there or anything else? Is it about affordability?

Edited by Maximus_G

So, if Rift optics allow for variable distance between screen and lens...

It is not, I already checked it with iPad4, unfortunately Rift optics will not work, you would need another optical system.

My real concern is about resolution. 2k for 2 eyes with such a wide fow wouldn't be enough almost surely. So why don't they put 2 fullhd screens there or anything else? Is it about affordability?

Yes, there is no way you can currently hit 400$ price point with two screens, and I think Oculus want to stick with the price very much. Also they would need to have two video inputs, or have a special board which will drive two screens as one digital input, but then it is additional latency source.

However, there are also these guys, which have similar design as a Rift, but use two screens and fresnel lenses, no info on target price btw:

http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/08/14/infiniteye-210-degree-hmd-prototype-contest-vote-7508

infiniteye-hmd-weight-comparison-oculus-rift.jpg

Edited by Mnemonic

However, there are also these guys, which have similar design as a Rift, but use two screens and fresnel lenses, no info on target price btw:

There's no DirectX for HMDs, no standartisation, so imho there's no place for the "other guys" - the winner takes it all. Much like NaturalPoint and their Trackir (please god let it be NOT too much like that).

I think we are getting close to modding the current rift with 1080p screens... hopefully in the next month or so.

Let me try and elucidate my pondering - apologies in advance should failure ensue:

DCS aside, how do things scale with the rift. I mean, staring at a 10-story building IRL and staring at the same building on a monitor is an example I would like to use as illustration. Now, with HD/1080 res, the said building on a monitor will have a level of detail in keeping with what you'd expect from HD/1080, no doubt about that.

Conversely, would the same be applicable in the Rift? Should VR be adequately portrayed and accordingly the scale adequately presented, you are now effectively staring at a honest-to-goodness 10-story building and not a 10-inch building on a monitor......

However

You are still stuck with only 1080 pixels in height in order to adequately visually represent the building in VR. Now this is my speculation only, but obviously visual quality takes a serious nose-dive, yes? Would pixel-blocks not be clearly evident?

Question is thus to what extent said visual quality is degraded having to portray said 10-story building to scale and in 'HD' while still only relying on 1080 pixels in doing so?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It wont be as clear, of course, but I think it is one of those things you have to try rather than do the numbers on and decide that you wont like it because it might seem a lot worse than the monitor you are used to.

it's apples to oranges comparing that way. More pixels on the rift will be better for sure but just imagining that a rift with the same pixels as your monitor but spread over a big FOV wont be good doesn't give it enough credit for the new perspective it will bring to your simming.

.......it's apples to oranges comparing that way........the new perspective it will bring to your simming.

Yes, obviously it was not my intent to compare the two, apart from the fact that if the Rift ends up looking like a dog's breakfast while staring at said building then one would be better off sticking with a monitor. It is after all a sense of reality I am after, which obviously will not be achievable at 1080 unless you're playing Minecraft. In that sense I'd happily partake in an apple knowing the orange has a worm.

Definitely one of those products where a test-drive will be mandatory and probably with my luck, as elusive as hens teeth.

Edited by 159th_Viper

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

If you look at a building with a normal 2d monitor, you don't and can't visualize size and depth.

Now with the rift, you feel like you are standing there in person evaluating the size of the building while in 3d. So while the current resolution is not good, it still gives much more immersion then other visual option, and when you do use a normal lcd after rifting... it feels like your're missing something. Now, the 1080p mod will be the same 5.5 lg screen as the 1080p proto rift. Will it be as good as a normal monitor (Res)... NO, but it will be very usable for sims such as DCS.

Once you rift, it is hard to go back!

Edited by Flim

Short report of testing DCS P-51D on Windows 8 64bit with OpenTrack and Nthusim HMD (http://forums.nthusim.com/viewforum.php?f=4)

The setup was very quick. Below the main steps.

NThusim setup:

separation (70,0) - did not feel any difference for any setting between [0,100]. May be it is only for actual SBS 3D.

Zoom: (100,200) - otherwise wrong aspect ration

Desktop Correction, Look Around, Mouse - all not selected

OpenTrack download from: http://ananke.laggy.pk/opentrack/

Important to start OpenTrack before Nthusim HMD otherwise it can not receive tracking information. However then "Look around" feature will not work either.

Settings: Tracker Source: Rift, GameProtocol: FreeTrack 2.0, all curves on 1-1 relation with movement (straight line from 0,0 - 180,180)

Display Configuration: NVIDIA GTX680, "Duplicate" mode with 1280x800 resolution. I have tried to use "Extend" mode with Rift as Primary display however it was not usable: I could not select any menu options in DCS UI while looking via Rift. "Look around" feature was not available because of OpenTrack. May be when Nthusim HMD will support head tracking, the problem will be solved. It is important because using "Duplicate" mode is not recommended for Rift because of additional lag.

In DCS I have setup 45 degrees FOV in SnapView.Lua for P-51D however it was too zoomed in so I have changed it in game with "/" and "*".

Instrument readability was much better than in WarThunder or IRacing. I dont know how to explain it, but i was able to read all main instruments: AIS, ALT, V/S. Manifold, RPM etc. Even for different zoom levels. However in order to be able to read instruments, it was required to keep head steady, without any movement.

Outside view also was very reasonable, no problem to spot airports, hours, trains, cars. Did not try to spot other plans.

Head movement was not very smooth (comparing to IRacing and Warthunder with native head tracking support) with detectable lag that immediately caused me very light nausea (did not have any problems in iR and WT). Framerate around 120 FPS.

In general, I still had a strong feeling looking via binocular and not feeling like in IRacing of actually being there. May be because of not optimal zoom level and lack of SBS 3D.

However , it is way better than playing with displays (i have cockpit with 3x32in LCD displays and motion seat).

Did not try with motion enabled yet, will update

Did also quick test with X-Plane, without flying or head tracking, worked great. Will do more detailed test tonight.

Regards

Leon

So did NThusim enable SBS 3D in DCS? Its not clear from your description.

S3D is not in Milestone build 1 yet. It'll be most likely in around Milestone 4. We're prioritizing making sure all the render pipeline variations work. Next is user interface, then head tracking. S3D will be fourth in priority for major feature implementation and refinement.

Edited by BHawthorne

Even without SBS 3d NTHUSIM HMD is best option for the Rift in DCS. I have tried unsuccessfully all other options including Tridef.

DCS World is an important community to Nthusim. I personally make sure it works with both the projection and HMD utilities. It'll become even more important in the future as DirectX 11 and 64-bit builds of games are used. Right now I don't know of any other Rift utility that can do both 64-bit and DirectX 11 pipeline at the same time. I'm sure the others will catch up on pipelines just as I'm sure we'll catch up on S3D mode. Personally I find the render pipeline compatibility to be the most important aspect for Rift right now. S3D is useless without all the possible variations of the render pipelines (both 32 and 64 bit) covered for use. :)

Edited by BHawthorne