But what is the best and ideal respons time avaliable today for a 19' monitor

the lower i can find is 6ms

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

Response times doesn't mean shit.

Screen X wth 20ms response time could very well be better than screen Y with 12ms response time... don't buy it until you've read a few reviews of the screen or tried it out.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

The price to LCD monitors is starting to fall

But what is the best and ideal respons time avaliable today for a 19' monitor

the lower i can find is 6ms

6ms?

You kidding?

That allows for 166 total refreshes of the screen every second . . . . . much, much more than you actually need.

Generally speaking, 15ms will give you no trouble at all for playing games . . . . never heard of any response time as low as 6ms.

A 15ms refresh rate allows 66 total refreshes/second - so 66 FPS displayable maximum. Still more than the eye can see ;)

The only practical use for framerates any higher than 24FPS is so you can ensure the frames are displayed smoothly through the second . . . . if you display 100 frames in the first half of the second and none in the second, the motion still looks jerky. More overall frames in the second means a higher chance they're spread evenly.

But that's an aside - 15-16ms is fine for gaming.

Suggest you investigate dot pitches, contrast, brightness, and so forth. While TFT prices are coming down, you still need to be careful about what you're buying.

Response times doesn't mean shit.

Screen X wth 20ms response time could very well be better than screen Y with 12ms response time... don't buy it until you've read a few reviews of the screen or tried it out.

They mean quite a lot - it's important to get below a certain boundary with response times.

They are not by any means the be-all and end-all . . . . but to say that they are a worthless measure of a screens usefulness isn't quite accurate.

How about that new Samsung panel that claims to have 4ms? the ms timing is th amount of time needed for one pixel to go from black to grey, it very well could be that you have a response time of 10 ms when, for example, going from red to deep blue.

This was a problem a while ago - nobody could agree on how exactly they were defining response times . . . . .

Evidently it's got worse since I last checked - it would seem some very careful checking of the small print is in order no matter what you're investigating.

6ms?

You kidding?

That allows for 166 total refreshes of the screen every second . . . . . much, much more than you actually need.

Generally speaking, 15ms will give you no trouble at all for playing games . . . . never heard of any response time as low as 6ms.

A 15ms refresh rate allows 66 total refreshes/second - so 66 FPS displayable maximum. Still more than the eye can see ;)

The only practical use for framerates any higher than 24FPS is so you can ensure the frames are displayed smoothly through the second . . . . if you display 100 frames in the first half of the second and none in the second, the motion still looks jerky. More overall frames in the second means a higher chance they're spread evenly.

But that's an aside - 15-16ms is fine for gaming.

Suggest you investigate dot pitches, contrast, brightness, and so forth. While TFT prices are coming down, you still need to be careful about what you're buying.

No im not kidding :)

I never have an LCD but i really wanna avoid that GHOST efect

here are the specs from the Acer® AL1951B

19" TFT LCD, 1280 x 1024 native resolution, 700:1 contrast ratio, 150°/135° horizontal/vertical viewing angles, 2 x 1.5W integrated speakers, VGA and DVI-D connectors, 400 cd/m2 brightness, 6ms response time, silver/black color

What im afraid on this oneonly 1280x 1024 and looking forwadi fond this

Colors Supported Up to 16.7 million forgetbout 32 bits colours...im rigth ??

Rodrigo Monteiro

LOCKON 1.12

AMD 3.8 X2 64 2G DDR ATI X1800XT 512

SAITEK X-36

AND VERY SOON TRACKIR-4

I'll look into that screen, because the response time looks just too good to be true . . . .

The ghosting limit is about 20-25ms. A true response time of 15ms = no ghosting . . . . . so if that's a real 6ms response time, no danger of ghosting in any way, shape, or form. It's just not going to happen.

I run a TFT with a claimed 16ms response time and ghosting=teh never.

One thing u should think about is the bigger monitors are nice but most LCDs look like crap unless you run at the default resolution. A big LCD might have a default resolution of 1600X1200 or even higher. That means you have to run LOCKON at a high resolution or it looks like crap. So you run at high resolution and that kills your performance. So when you buy think about that - most 17" LCD = 1280X1024 and 15" =1024X768. Trust me, Lock ON will look better on a 15" LCD at 1024X768 then on a 21" LCD at 1024X768. FWIW, I have a 17" LCD and run at 1280X1024 - if I try to run at lower resolutions it looks like crap but I get decent performance at 1280X1024.

cheers and good luck

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

if you can notice the difference between a 6ms response time and say 14, thwen you got better eyesight than me, i cant see why people wants faster response times, when below a certain number it doesnt make any real difference.

just get a nice tft that you like regardless if its 6 or 12+ response time, you wont notice the difference.

FYI, a lot of the monitors with really fast response times use 6-bit panels, which look like poo compared to a nicer 8-bit panel. Also, just because it's listed as 6ms or 8ms does NOT mean it's going to transition quickly across the board. Sure, the fastest transition should be the listed number, but the slower transistions could be well over 20ms. It would be best to compare the response curves of different monitors rather than going by the response time number, which is a guessing game at best.

Try the Viewsonic vx924 with 4ms, it does have problems with color spectreme, but you don't get something for nothing, overall it is a good lcd gamming monitor other then having a limited resolution of 1280x1024 as native.

AMD FX57@3445Mhz/multi13/htt265/1.55v

DFI LAN UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert

OCZ Platinum Elite Edition EE PC4800-DDR600

1024Mb(2/512Mb) T1/2.5-2-2-5@265Mhz@2.9v

EVGA 7800GTX (N529) core:614 mem:1435

Enermax EG651AX-VH 550watt PSU SLI Cert.

2-WD740 Raptor SATA RAID 'O'

Creative SB X-FI Platinum pci sound card

Lian Li V Cool V1200 case

Asetek Waterchill KT12A-12VX cpu/vga cooling

ViewSonic VX924 19" LCD

X-52/Saitek Eclipse Keyboard/Logitech MX518 mouse

• 3 weeks later...

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb