Autostart?

Hoggorm

There is supposed to be an autostart feature to make all systems up an running in no time. I've seen both Left Ctrl + Home and Right Ctrl + Home, but neither work...

What is the item called in the A-10 Real options? Maybe I have to map it?

Actually, it is RWin + Home. Also RWin + End to shutdown. I think they are listed under 'Cheats' in the Options>Controls list.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Word of warning - make sure you don't actuate any switches before trying the startup.

I'm not sure if it's the case in WH, but in BS1/2, the autostart logic doesn't take into account the position the switches are currently in, ONLY the fact that they have to be actuated and what order to do them in.

For instance, in BS, if you open the fuel cut-off valves and then try the autostart, they'll be closed right off again. Furthermore, the autostart won't wait for a correct functional response from that system, it'll just sail merrily on to the next bit.

Best bit of advice - avoid using it if at all possible. Learn to do it properly and you'll have much more fun in-sim :)

Tim

I went through the start up tutorial for the first time this morning, actually went through it twice - and I was like, you want me to remember what? lol. Did a search to find the cheat key for auto engine start - think though I am going to keep going through it and take the time to do it properly.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I went through the start up tutorial for the first time this morning, actually went through it twice - and I was like, you want me to remember what? lol.

It gets a lot easier when all the buttons, knobs and switches start to mean something (other than just being an item in a checklist).

Check the leading edge training video:

YouTube:

Or download from DCS home:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/video/leading_edge_training

I used to use the cheat but got annoyed a few times when I'd pop into F10 to start moving units around and come back and Master Caution was going off its tits and nothing was started.

I did the tutorial a few times then had a checklist on my iPad that I followed for about half a dozen starts. Now can do it with my eyes closed and took a few shortcuts. Just have to wait for that alignment, sadly otherwise I'd be up in about a minute. ;)

Actually, it is RWin + Home. Also RWin + End to shutdown. I think they are listed under 'Cheats' in the Options>Controls list.

Thank you. I found it.

I'll learn how to start the plane later. I guess it's not much harder than starting any other aircraft. I've seen the start tutorial videos and it seems straight forward. The hard part is everything else, like weapons systems and targeting etc. That is where my focus lies at the moment.

I went through the start up tutorial for the first time this morning, actually went through it twice - and I was like, you want me to remember what? lol. Did a search to find the cheat key for auto engine start - think though I am going to keep going through it and take the time to do it properly.

We fly DCS because we like it complicated (as long as it is realistic).

Doing the start-up manually will make you understand the systems better and shallows the learning curve.

'Frett'

Yes I just went through the startup again, I feel each time I learn a little more. I think next I will try having the startup procedure from the manual pdf open on my second monitor, I may learn better that way also.

After I made it through the startup, I went ahead and taxied to the runway, and took off. ( had already been through takeoff and handling training).

I then proceeded to land and takeoff several times to get a better hang for it.

Man this sim is really nice, think I am going to really enjoy it once I get through much of this learning curve. And that water looks so good.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It only takes about 45 steps to safely get the bird into the air and ready for a guns-only dogfight (although, as you noted, it's much more complicated to get missiles, navigation, and communication systems up and running). I had this basic procedure memorized by the third day--and I'm usually quite poor at memorization.

It gets a lot easier when all the buttons, knobs and switches start to mean something (other than just being an item in a checklist).

Check the leading edge training video:

YouTube:

Or download from DCS home:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/video/leading_edge_training

Thanks much, I will check it out!

Don B

It only takes about 45 steps to safely get the bird into the air and ready for a guns-only dogfight (although, as you noted, it's much more complicated to get missiles, navigation, and communication systems up and running). I had this basic procedure memorized by the third day--and I'm usually quite poor at memorization.

+1

Indeed, after a while it's not a big deal to memorize all that stuff but it's a good idea to keep a checklist near you!:music_whistling:

Cheers

My best tip is to find a good, concise startup checklist, then use that for your startups.

I started remembering bits and pieces after my fifth startup, and from there I slowly stopped looking at the checklists and started doing it from memory with no lesser success. (for both A-10C and Ka-50)

I'm using:

This one for A-10C...

...and this one for Black Shark.

Also, if you have an iDevice, you can look up "iWarthog" on iTunes, which contains useful checklists for both startup and normal ops.

Problems setting up switches on the HOTAS Warthog or similar?

Tutorial Here

Those look great, thank you so much for the links!

I think I would fare better, and learn faster, starting to use a checklist such as this, versus continually going through the training sequence.

I have BS2 as well, so grabbed them both.

Thanks,

Don B

We've also created checklists in the 476th vFG that we share with the public, the A-10 checklist is based on the real world 1A-10C-1 Checklist.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=15

Very impressive, thank you!

Don

Don B

A-10C Warthog Interactive Startup Trainer Tester

Single Mission where an Instructor Pilot (IP) calls out Scramble Startup Checklist items and you have 10 seconds to locate the item to score. If you miss an item the IP will highlight it for you but it will cost you in scoring.

Instructor Pilot offering interactive startup and there is a shutdown also. Plays out like a game, 10Seconds to respond with the correct button or you loose points. Good way for any Tachtile Brains out there.

http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/144184/

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.