Strange things, track included

0xBlb

Hi,

I've noticed a few strange behaviors illustrated by the attached track. I've got a fresh install of DCS world 1.2.0 + corresponding P51D module.

1. Radio works before starting the engine, but not afterwards... why did it die?

2. Manifold pressure is higher before engine start than when engine is running idle, is it normal?

3. Engine can be started, and runs with ignition switch set to off. Is it normal, if yes I would be interested in some (links to) explanations (glider pilot here, knowledge about engines is... stuff for the aero-tow pilot)

4. Temp, Coolant Temp and Carb. Temp gauges show nothing interesting until RPM gauge reaches 25, then they stop being meaningful when RPM gauge goes back below 22. (I'm playing with this at the end of the track)

Bugs or normal behaviors?

p51-strange_things.trk

• Like 1

Ha, that one was tricky...

The engine starter switch was not released. When releasing it, radio works, engine does not run with ignition switch set to off and temp gauges work fine!

Maybe this is a small bug about the engine starter switch, what I do to trigger this (what I learned in the startup training):

- press and hold engine starter switch with left mouse button

- when engine starts right click on engine mixture handle (while still holding left mouse button)

- release left mouse button (engine starter switch stays on, this might be the bug)

2. This is as it should. With the engine stopped, manifold pressure will equalise to ambient atmospheric pressure. Once the engine starts sucking air past the restriction of the carb, throttle valve and the rest of the induction piping, the pressure drops below ambient. At low RPMs, there's not enough oooomph in the supercharger to change that... luckily, as we'd get interesting idling otherwise. :)

3. This was discussed at length in this thread. In short, it should run as the booster coil activated by the starter switch provides a continuous spark while the starter is engaged. However, it probably shouldn't run well as this spark is significantly delayed vs the normal spark. This was acknowledged, but I haven't tested it in the most recent open beta.

Cheers,

Fred