Fuel transfer rate...?

BeachAV8R

Just curious - I've read some literature that the KC-135 can SEND fuel at a rate of up to 6000 lbs/minute. Is there any data on how fast the A-10C can receive fuel? And how is that controlled? Does the KC-135 have to set a transfer pressure/rate on their end or is it self regulating based on the receiving aircraft receptacle/plumbing?

:joystick:

BeachAV8R

I think the real answer, as always, is 'it depends'. I haven't timed it for DCS, but it seems to be in the ball-park of 4000-5000lbs/min.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Cool read.

I wonder what an F-15/16 and the A-10 would look like with a probe??

one note on that article...

We use the Drouge method on our heavies.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Just curious - I've read some literature that the KC-135 can SEND fuel at a rate of up to 6000 lbs/minute. Is there any data on how fast the A-10C can receive fuel? And how is that controlled? Does the KC-135 have to set a transfer pressure/rate on their end or is it self regulating based on the receiving aircraft receptacle/plumbing?

:joystick:

BeachAV8R

The KC-135 can send fuel to the A-10 at a rate of 2400 pph with 2 pumps operating. The KC-10 can send at a rate of 3000 pph. All "fighter" types receive fuel from tankers using a max of two pumps. The KC-10 has 6 total pumps and the -135 has 4. Both aircraft deliver fuel at a rate of 50 +/-5 psi. When pressure limits are exceeded, the receiver aircraft is disconnected from the tanker - called a "pressure disconnect." The pph rate is a function of the receiver aircraft's internal plumbing.

In some aircraft like the F-16 and F-22, the rate of fuel delivery can cause a pressure disconnect. When this happens, the tanker pilot performing the fuel transfer is supposed to decrease the number of pumps transferring fuel from 2 to 1 when the receiver gets back on the boom.

These are, of course, Real Life numbers. :)

Edited by Rhen

Cool read.

I wonder what an F-15/16 and the A-10 would look like with a probe??

one note on that article...

We use the Drouge method on our heavies.

CARTS_02_1267828237_9073.jpg

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=56

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The KC-135 can send fuel to the A-10 at a rate of 2400 pph with 2 pumps operating.

pph? Pounds per hour? That would be damn slow. I think you mean pounds per minute.

Did a few test runs with the Hog and came to an average of 2489 pounds per minute.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ariescon.com

Intel i7-6700K | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA GTX 1080 | 1TB m.2 SSD | TM Warthog | Logitech G-35 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Ultimate 64bit | 3 monitor setup @5760x1080 | Occulus Rift