DCS: Tornado possible?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you guys are going back a tad more than me, I was born in 73 and started going to Biggin from about 8 years old with my mum, so around 1981.

I don't remember the lightning but must have seen one for sure.

I remember walking up to the airfield one year and the Vulcan came over the top very low, scared the caca out of me hahaha

She still gives me a big grin when she hits the power and climbs out :)

ATC 228 Sqn. Bromley for me.

ATC and RAF marksman badges which I was proud of, using the .762 SLR

All I remember was it was very light and had a plastic feel to it but was great to shoot a semi-automatic rifle.

Edited by Ells228
..... my mum took her off somewhere safe for the vulcan display....;)

On Sunday I had a pleasant half hour or so in the Vulcan at Solway Aviation Museum getting told tales of hights in excess of 95k etc. took that with a pinch of salt but I have read that at high altitude the Vulcan could run rings round the lightning.

Got a few pics but they will have to wait until I get home.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

ATC 228 Sqn. Bromley for me.

All I remember was it was very light and had a plastic feel to it but was great to shoot a semi-automatic rifle.

Been to Biggin Hill quie a few times to work flight side during the airshows. will dig out some of the pics when I get back home.

My father was the squadron marksman and was sent to Bisley to shoot during the war. He told tales of shooting unexploded ordanance at Tangmere when he was stationed there. They had Whirlwinds, Mossies, and later Meteors during his time there.

We shot .303 Lee Enfields and if we were lucky we were allowed to shoot the P14 but it was mainly the WO that comendered that rifle. We were shooting at 200yds and the WO said aim at the bull and wait until I've hit the bull and let fly when the marker pole comes up ... we did ... the marker pole disapeared, the field telephone rang and an irate voice was heard and we all got a dressing down.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

On Sunday I had a pleasant half hour or so in the Vulcan at Solway Aviation Museum getting told tales of hights in excess of 95k etc. took that with a pinch of salt but I have read that at high altitude the Vulcan could run rings round the lightning.

Got a few pics but they will have to wait until I get home.

Nice,,, :thumbup:

I knew an RAF photographer who had a few tall tales about his expieriences with vulcans although he only went as high as 89k :music_whistling:.... I dunno.... I used to love listening to his storys though...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... ATC 228 Sqn. Bromley for me.

7.62 SLR ... weighs in around 4 - 5 kg's ... wasn't the lightest assault rifle in the bunch ;)

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Talking about Tornado's ... I've been flying LFA7 (the mach loop in Wales) in an AlphaJet from *another sim* lately ;). It would be a dream to be able to do this in a DCS fast mover!

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

WTF is a Mach Loop?

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/AirSafetyandAviation/LowFlying/LFAs/LowFlyingArea07.htm

http://www.mjaviation.co.uk/

A rather well known Low Flying Area ... where aircraft practice NOE flying. The Wales "Mach Loop" (LFA7) in particular is a favourite for photographers it seems ... and with that gorgeous terrain it's no wonder!

Some good clips on YouTube too.

The EDIT: Shiver-me-timbers that was quick! One minute here I am tapping out an answer with my single typing digit and next minute there's a stampede of answers .. LOL!

Edited by Teapot

Ahh ok, thanks for that... I first thought, it was some kind of aerodynamic phenomenon..

God no, the RAF don't care bout that, we just like terrifying sheep and provide amusement to very short, walking, plane nerds. (Like me. :D)

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing