Weird aircraft behavior

JayPee

Hi all,

Please find below a copy of my post on SimHQ.

OK guys, I finally have the hardware to run DCS A-10C on and I must say it runs like a charm except for a small graphic glitch to which I will come back when I have the screenies to explain.

However, I'm experiencing some weird behavior. The aircraft seems to be pitching, yawing, and banking to its own will and is therefore very difficult to control. It's like I'm flying a Cessna 170 in a hurricane. Also I get the feeling that my joystick input is only marginally effecting the aircraft. I suspect the aircraft to atleast attempt to climb up hard when I pull the stick back entirely but instead I can only get it to pitch up like 15 deg. or something. I figured it's not simply a sensitivity setting because then it wouldn't stop pitching up at 15 deg. for instance. Finally the pilot's head/viewpoint seems to be off-center and is constantly in motion without having TIR or equivalent software enabled.

I know that my Sidewinder joystick is not the greatest but I've seen countless posts of peole using this joystick while flying DCS. Besides, the old MS stick still works fine in all other sims.

Aspire V3-G571

I7 3610QM 2.3GHz TB to 3.2GHz

Intel HM77

GT 640M 2GB

6GB (1066MHz but not sure, don't point me on that)

5400RPM SATA

W7 x64

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Check your axis. You should only have one controller assigned to each axis.

Press right ctrl + enter to see the inputs in real time.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

This happened to me when I got a new throttle quadrant.

The pitch and roll axes were bound to the levers on this throttle causing a situation where the joystick and the throttles were democratically voting on which position the in-sim stick should be.

A quick trip to the options menu later I had reinstated dictatorship in a bloody coup where an entire category was cleared out.

It's probably something like this in your case, so it shouldn't be a problem to fix.

Problems setting up switches on the HOTAS Warthog or similar?

Tutorial Here

Guest Izoul123

You are of course manually setting the trim after takeoff right? A10 needs to be trimmed A LOT. I'll admit it was my main mistake when I was starting out with this sim, failing to manually trim. Now it's to the point where I hardly use autopilot anymore at all as I fly heavily with constant trim adjustments. If you don't, you will for sure have a constant control problem and the dead/control zone on the cheapo sticks just sucks to be brutally honest. Maybe save a track showing the issue as well and we can look at how your configured.

Get the TM WH Hotas though, it's really the only good way to go for 'normal/better' control in my opinion. I used to use a sidewinder and also Logitech 3d xtreme but DSC truly demands a good HOTAS setup. Once I got the TM WH, it was like the great sea parting for me and the controls were 1000% better than the other joysticks by light years, and of course learning/controlling the rest of the sim became so much better as well. It's like going from a shitty old car with no power steering to a top of the line modern day luxury sports car. No comparison/can't go back type of deal.

99% of the problems my friends have had with this sim related to what you are describing was due to A) Cheap Joystick (yes I know they are fine for like MS flight sim and such, not this though) B) Failing to manually trim after takeoff/altitude changes/payload release/etc.

Issue solved by properly assiging and fine tuning the assignments. Trim is still an issue it seems but that's not joystick related, that's just me never having flown this sim before. Time for some serious training I guess!

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory