What is DCS?

Wags

OK so there is such a mechanism to "bann" certain models or to "allow" only certain models? excuse my ignorance but I haven't had the chance to install dcs world.

As of now, yes. If I don't put a F-15E in the mission, you wont be able to fly one. You'll only be able to fly the airframes the mission designer chooses to add.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I can allow for Cool Cat's F15E and ban Hot Dog's F15E without having purchased either?

At least this is what you can do with the standard DCS modules such as A-10C, Ka-50, P-51D etc.

We just have to assume ED continues this trend.

As for choosing between 2 different vendors, I can't say how it will work, because testers have no such info.

Customers need to be able to install 2 different vendors in their DCS World.

Inherently, it must be possible to distinguish between them in the game-engine.

So IMHO, yes, it must be possible to do so otherwise the game-engine wouldn't be able to cope with the 2 different vendors.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Interesting questions there xhaos. I hope the third party developer develops packages to add the aircraft to the system of mission designers to make missions for the model. I guess this also could be done by ED and add each model to the database. There have been talks of a online update manager and things like this could be distributed in a system like that.

(HJ)

So I can allow for Cool Cat's F15E and ban Hot Dog's F15E without having purchased either?

As a mission-designer you can pretty much do as you please with the content of the SIM. It is after all yours to play how you want.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As I understand the concept - DCS:-World contains everything required for all modules to inter-operate in MP regardless of whether you own the modules or not.

You only get to fly a module if you own it however.

As for the same aircraft by different vendors they will be treated as different aircraft within the sim. For example IRIS:-F-23 would be distinct in every way from Razbam F-23, as far as the sim is concerned.

So the Mission designer will have to account for both types for MP.

Nate

As I understand the concept - DCS:-World contains everything required for all modules to inter-operate in MP regardless of whether you own the modules or not.

As for the same aircraft by different vendors they will be treated as different aircraft within the sim. For example IRIS:-F-23 would be distinct in every way from Razbam F-23, as far as the sim is concerned.

Nate

Now you do that on purpose, I would really love to see the 23 model. In my heart it wins hands down the raptor.....:cry: IRIS: YF-23 would be awesome!

Re the YF-23

Apologies I wanted an example of something I knew wouldn't be developed.

Nate

Thanks be to Odin for that.

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Nate

In the mission editor, it puts the name we, as developers, define within the Add-On.

As an example in my ME I select Hawk from the drop down list of aircraft which loads all available weapons, skins and countermeasures as defined in the add-on.

If developer A calls his plane "Jetty" and developer B calls his plane "Jetty" also, you will see two "Jetty"s in the drop down list.

Then it's up to the customer who flies it in SP.

Or up to the mission designer or serveradmin who allows for it to be used in MP.

The way I understand it currently, the server would have to have the modules loaded to be able to select them from the available planes list.

If a mission designer wanted plane A and plane B in their mission, they would need both modules installed to be able to include them in the mission.

So let's say he wanted Typhoon versus Raptor, he would need both modules installed to create the mission and both modules need to be installed on the server and client machines.

In tests I've run, if one module is not on the server, it will not load that plane in the mission, even if it's in the ME mission file. You will see no plane in the sim to fly as the sim thinks it does not exist. You also do not see it in the ME, or any waypoints, triggers etc.

So, mission builders will need to think carefully about what servers their missions will be running on and what modules are installed on that server.

I haven't tested replay of tracks but I would guess the plane doesn't show but any missiles/bombs in World would show. But then they may not as the weapons are defined in the add-on.

Something I'll test as some point.

Hope that muddy's the water a bit more </sarcasm>

Edited by Ells228

• 2 weeks later...

This sandbox sim has a lot of room to grow, please just don't stop developing and do not give up like Janes and several others did in the 90's. Make this the ultimate sim you can improve on and attempt to beat out Armed Assault. If this sim could be greater than as if FSX,Armed Assault series were combined, you would have a real jewel for the corporate/military world who is moving toward more virtual training and cutting some of the cost of real world training. Not to mention Microsoft is aging and might not be around in the next decade (sad indeed)

Not to mention Microsoft is aging and might not be around in the next decade (sad indeed)

That would be a day for rejoicing ;)

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

Sorry, I really don't have time to spend hours trawling through threads here to find the answer, so apology in advance. :helpsmilie:

I have DCS Black Shark and DCS A10C, will I be able to consolidate those purchases into the new DCS world ? or is it going to cost me more money etc?

Downloading the free DCS world, thanks very much, what am I to expect from the free SU25T ?? I loved FC1 and FC2.....is this basically on the same level as FC2 or DCS A10 for detail or ?

TIA. :pilotfly:

Will not cost you any more money. Download and install DCS World, the A-10C module for DCS World and.... only if you have the full version of Black Shark 2, download and install that module.

If you have the Black Shark 2 Update like me we have to wait until they have sorted out how they will handle that.

The Su-25T is FC2 flight model but obviously with the rest of the DCS World improvements.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Will not cost you any more money. Download and install DCS World, the A-10C module for DCS World and.... only if you have the full version of Black Shark 2, download and install that module.

If you have the Black Shark 2 Update like me we have to wait until they have sorted out how they will handle that.

The Su-25T is FC2 flight model but obviously with the rest of the DCS World improvements.

Ace, thanks Sarge, appreciate that. :thumbup::pilotfly:

• 2 weeks later...
Also drive developers salaries down. The number first reason they go somewhere else.

If devs wanted high salaries they wouldn't be developing flight sim add-ons for a niche market.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --