What is DCS?

Wags

• ED Team

DCS stands for “Digital Combat Simulator”. DCS is a world simulation engine permitting the user to operate or direct a growing number of combat and civilian aircraft, ground vehicles and ships, from different historical eras, in different geographical locations and at different levels of fidelity. It is a true "sand box" simulation. DCS started with the Ka-50 and A-10C, but has recently grown to also include the P-51D Mustang and, with Combined Arms, a ground command and control tactical warfare component. Future products from The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics in the DCS line are in development and will includes partner products like the UH-1H "Huey", MiG-21bis "Fishbed", T-2 "Buckeye", BAE "Hawk", and Mi-8MT-V2 "Hip".

The overall "simulation operating system" is termed DCS World and is a free program that includes a free Su-25T for the player to fly. All DCS products will plug into DCS World as unique modules within the same software installation. DCS products will not be limited to aircraft, but will include maps, missions, campaigns, environment objects, weapons, vehicles and ships. We even hope to look into a train simulation component in the future!

Partner products to DCS are supported by ED and there are already several qualified 3rd party teams creating new aircraft that will plug into DCS World. In these cases we leave it up to the developer to decide the level of systems fidelity, but we do expect certain "DCS Standards" to be maintained such as detailed and accurate models and cockpits with 6 DOF view control.

We are also developing "DCS Flaming Cliffs" titles as modules for DCS. These aircraft include highly detailed models, 6 DOF capable cockpits, and advanced flight models. However, they have the same level of cockpit functionality as our Lock On series (a less complex and shallower learning curve).

Edited by Wags

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great so then you (/we) are finally free from ubisoft.

Regarding the train...thats interesting ... could be a funny penalty for team killing to provide supply for a warehouse by train :D

So much cooler than the sandbox with banana song in old Arma times.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Behold! D C S Choo Choo. I've never understood the appeal of train simulators but hey, different stokes for different folks. Thanks for the clarification on DCS Wags: this sim has a bright future 8)

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A military "sand box", ok, why not... But civilian aircraft and train............:doh::mad: Let it to FSX and train simulator !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Civilian Aircraft already OK.... But TRAIN?

Don't worry, a map will have to come first. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

LOL @ Train Sim :P

Well, in all seriousness, have you guys considered making military ground vehicle sims? Say, a M-1 Abrams tank simulator for example, or the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. It can even be further expanded to include classical WW2 tanks!

There are many video games out there that features arcade-style tank gameplay (World of Tanks, Battlefield series, etc), I'm sure some of us fans would love to try our hands on a realistic tank sim. ;)

Edited by Hornet85

Thanks for posting this Wags.

Well, in all seriousness, have you guys considered making military ground vehicle sims? Say, a M-1 Abrams tank simulator for example.

There are many video games out there that features arcade-style tank gameplay (World of Tanks, Battlefield series, etc), I'm sure some of us fans would love to try our hands on a realistic tank sim. wink.gif

Mmmm DCS:Abrams or DCS:T80, 6DOF modern tank sim with click-able "Cockpit", I could go for that. :D

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

They should do the train one but fail to mention the combat simulator part so then some poor guy goes to see what multiplayer is all about and is like WTF when somebody hoses down his train with GAU 8 rounds, lol.

A military "sand box", ok, why not... But civilian aircraft and train............:doh::mad: Let it to FSX and train simulator !

What's wrong with a target rich environment with diversity? I don't think I'd do train sim but I definitely see the scenarios that would benefit from a fleshed out rail simulation.

FSX is dead as a core, Prepar3d and X-Plane is the only thing alive on the civilian side. There is a lot of parallel content out there already from other sims that can be re-envisioned for DCS. :smilewink:

All I'm going to say is - "HiFi STUDY COMBAT FLIGHT SIMULATOR" ........ PLEASE!:joystick::pilotfly::smartass:

EDIT- Why, cause I want to learn to fly many types of HiFi A/C's preferably F-16 / F18's

variants in different Theaters with Dynamic War Campaigns ..................

........ never getting bored! :joystick: :smilewink: :thumbup:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

Amazing news! I also love the idea of civilian aircraft in the world, I'd love to fly a cessna or a 747 but with better graphics and overall better engine than xplane or fsx, I guess I just want one world to fly in with the best physics, graphics, sounds and so on possible.

Nero

27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb, Running Bootcamp, Windows 7 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52 Pro

The one thing he failed to mention (which may be because ED doesn't even know yet) is what it means to have the DCS brand on an aircraft. For example, DCS: MiG-21BiS is going to be held to what standards? I guess I ask because that's the only way for the hardcore simmers to really know if they are going to purchase or not.

It's a shame about the AFM too, I know it must be complicated but I doubt very many 3rd party developers will take the time and write their own AFM, even then I'm sure it really couldn't compete with A-10C's AFM. So I guess what we get from ED is going to be the best there is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited about all this, and maybe down the line a 3rd party developer will come and knock the socks off the A-10C AFM. Maybe Beczl? ;)

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

+1

What have civilian aircraft and trains to do with a combat simulator?

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1

Transportation for nations are targets or things to defend depending on what side of the fence you're on. Conflict is not always military on military. Civilians also exist in areas of conflict and play a part in combat tactics. It's pretty clear infrastructure are things of importance to a combat simulation.

+1

Well all I'm going to say is that once I'm in my F-18 and F-16 and if I see on my A-G radar a choo choo or if I see over my shoulder or thru the canopy or on my RWR a propy planey I'm going to eject and land on the pointiest tree to end the nightmare........:D

So as it says it better be beyond my future...... because I do wanna fly my beloved JETS.....LoL :doh:

Ah, unless, I pickle off multiple Aim 9x's with a B61 or multiple CBU's in sheer frustration still deciding..pain.gif...... its painful. LoL

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg