Trouble Taking Off??

WildFire

hello, I tried your ball approach, and fully agree. However, I tried using different weapon combinations, and the aircraft did very well with nominal load of 2*64's, and 68% fuel. Other loads like full HVAR and 50 % fuel produced catastrophic results, with the usual tip off the runway.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Yeah, once you get a feel for how it moves on takeoff and get the whole sway motion down using the BAI, transferring to heads up will be a lot easier. Its all about getting used to how she moves.

Edited by 159th_Viper
Rule 1.2 Infringement.

I remember when some Falcon 4.0 mates and I went to IL-2.

My first take off in IL-2 was blasting down the runway and then lift-off 20 degrees nose up. Well I learned something about aerodynamics real quick that day :). It was always funny to see the jet guys first take-off in a prop plane. Breakturn were another good laugh(nice spiral's matie).

You got the feel the force ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, once you get a feel for how it moves on takeoff and get the whole sway motion down using the BAI, transferring to heads up will be a lot easier. Its all about getting used to how she moves.

And by the way, thank you for pointing out the tail-madness thing. When the tail starts to 'want' to lift off, that is when you smoothly and gently push the stick forward. I will practice more takeoffs under different configurations now, and post tracks at each observation.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• ED Team

Yes, the first 6th feel in the sim is a feel of acceleration. The same thing as in in-sim formation flying. Your brain must learn to take the 1st and the 2nd derivatives from position info with a lack of natural acceleration feeling, binocular sight, etc.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Let me simplify it: In sim flying we are missing the most important sense. Our butt sitting in the pilot seat :smilewink:

Eyes are the second and ears the third most important :music_whistling:

Edited by Suchacz

I'll have to check that out. I've never used the stick to bring the tail up, always let her come up on her own. I'll try it out. And good page Joe-

Don't misunderstand.

When you first takeoff you will have the stick all the way back to establish stability. Once you start to feel the plane bobbing forward, you will gently push the stick forward until you are in the NEUTRAL position. He does NOT mean pushing the stick forward from neutral!

Don't misunderstand.

When you first takeoff you will have the stick all the way back to establish stability. Once you start to feel the plane bobbing forward, you will gently push the stick forward until you are in the NEUTRAL position. He does NOT mean pushing the stick forward from neutral!

In fact, I do. I meant as soon as the tail starts wobbling, that is when you push the stick gradually, gently, and smoothly forward crossing neutral, then floor the propeller to full increase when the tarmac becomes visible ahead. 120, rotate back same as above. No flaps needed, no wicked trimming except rt rudder 6-8 degrees, nose heavy 1-2 degrees and center the ball.

By the way, if you gradually (boringly) open throttle with prop RPM lever at halfway from run, the amount of correction for rudder becomes insignificant, that if you are so familiar with the aircraft by now, the rudder correction is for keeping her on the runway. And I've tried taking off veering off and it also worked so long that the ball is centered, which is the novelty and highlight of this entire thread. I'm just adding the 'finer' points if so.

Oh, and the stick doesn't have to be all the way back between your balls. Just an inch or 1/2 inch aft of neutral. I also discovered this, that the more the stick is to d1ck (sorry), the more you are liable to not takeoff correctly, specially with rudder held down.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

Yeah it had to be forward. As of now I leave the stick in the neutral position all the way down the runway. I hold it back on initial start only to make sure the prop doesnt pull the nose down.

Normally she lifts off quite fine without using the stick until the last moment, but you have got to get the feel of the rudder really well. Like I said initially once im rolling I let go of the stick, the tailwheel will stay locked in the neutral position, and its one less thing to worry about.

But I'll give it a go. I am a bit hesitant using the stick at all cause I dont want to introduce any dynamics I'm not used to, but we'll see what happens.

** Oh and crosswind takeoffs suck. Beyond infinity. Im still learning.

Edited by WildFire

I made this for all of us having trouble with takeoff.

you worry too much (again), it's a beta.

If you are not vocal about issues, they will still be there in the released product. Especially considering that the status list here makes no mention of ground handling being a WIP. In fact, it lists the undercarriage as being complete!

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I made this for all of us having trouble with takeoff.

haha lolol.... your off color remarks in your little movie were funny, it sounds like us when we are taking off on a carrier in IL-2, on a notoriously hard aircarft or loadout.... while we cuss when we get to the end of the ship...

LOLOL

:doh::joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

just thought id throw this out there, Grass TO&L`s are a new challenge \o/ and one i think everyone should endulge in, being a bit more sticky, taking off from grass is a new expereince that will prepare you better for the hard stuff in terms of learning the aircraft before it kills you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]