The Specular Lighting Thread: For Skin Artists

-Rudel-

No, Self reflections is something ED will have to add in the graphic engine code. We artist are still waiting for this feature. War Thunder has it.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Self reflections is something ED will have to add in the graphic engine code. We artist are still waiting for this feature. War Thunder has it.

yeah, that's what I thought, I would really love if ED could add this graphic feature, it doesn't seem to consume much GPU power nowadays anyway and it would make the planes to look EXACTLY as in real life...of course it would be just a self reflection of the own plane, not the whole world but even then it would be more than enough...

Take a look at my MODS here

For now, I would be happy if ALL shapes would be roughmet enabled by default;)

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

For now, I would be happy if ALL shapes would be roughmet enabled by default;)

Yeah, it would be great to have all models in roughmet...btw, I forgot to post the results of all my questions I made here :D...I was doing the su-27 speculars again for roughmet but decided to try also for the su-33 as right now is the one I'll be flying most, check it out:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2947001/

used roughmet for it, can't imagine how much nicer it would look with self reflections also :music_whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

can someone help me achieving a rough metal finish, please?...I mean like the "bare metal" of the mig-21 because for some reason I can't manage to achieve it (using roughmet)...I tried with a mid grey tone for the green channel and same mid grey tone for the blue channel letting the red one pure white but looks too shiny or too matte...I want that weathered, low reflectivity, metal look of some sheet iron, something like this:

mattest_roughglass.png

...thanks a lot!

Just look at the RGB channels of the roughmet file for the bare metal mig-21.

Eyedrop a main color and work from there.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to assing a dds file as specular map, even if the model doesn't have any specular file asociated in MAX?? I guess the answer is no, but just in case...I ask because I would like to do a specular map for the TGP (litening pod) of the a-10c but looks like there is no specular file for it so I guess I can't do anything...

That makes me wonder if ED has plans to, step by step, adding speculars for pretty much every single model in the simulator or that's not hte case?, will we eventually get speculars for all bombs, tgp, missiles, tanks, vehicles, planes, etc.???

thanks!!

If its not slotted in Max, then no,

You can however Create PBR Roughmet file for it.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

If its not slotted in Max, then no,

You can however Create PBR Roughmet file for it.

Thanks for the reply mate!...very interesting, so roughmet works independently of the material propieters in MAX?...could you explain how to do that or is just as simple as using the desired dds file as specular and name it same as the file you want to add the speculars but adding _RoughMet at the end?...

In the case of the TGP pod, what should I do to add a roughmet? Do I have to edit any lua for this?

Do you know if ED is going to update/add more specular maps/roughmets for every model?

thanks a lot!!:thumbup:

EDIT: Forget it, I did what I said and its already working!! amazing!!

Edited by watermanpc

As I said, the TGP worked just by adding a _RoughMet file to the zip where its texture is saved...however, tried to make a RoughMet for the alq-131 and 184 but they dont work (same procedure and in the zip file where their textures (diffuse) is saved...any ideas why?

thanks!

Edit with TGP picture:

1511904300-dcs-2017-11-28-21-36-27-48.jpg

• ED Team

If you have a roughness map, delete the json file

https://gyazo.com/5150696f38e88884ac3f20bab7289361

Edited by DGambo

" Умное выражение лица - это еще не признак ума. Все глупости на Земле делаются именно с этим выражением лица..."

If you have a roughness map, delete the json file

https://gyazo.com/5150696f38e88884ac3f20bab7289361

Tried deleting the jsons files and at first I though it was working as both pods had huge reflectivity...however, then I realiced that, for some reason, they don't seem to respond to the roughmet file, I mean, they look almost perfectly reflective and flat (like a pure white or pure black file is being read instead of a proper texture) no matter what I do in the roughmet files.

Pictures:

1512082630-dcs-2017-11-30-23-44-38-92.jpg

1512082634-dcs-2017-11-30-23-44-33-36.jpg

1512082634-dcs-2017-11-30-23-45-06-58.jpg

any idea what could be the problem?

thanks a lot!!

• ED Team

show a texture map of the roughness. DCS 2.x ?

Отправлено с моего MI 6 через Tapatalk

Edited by DGambo

" Умное выражение лица - это еще не признак ума. Все глупости на Земле делаются именно с этим выражением лица..."

• ED Team

texture with roughness only supported in version 2.x. in version 1.5 they do not work correctly

Отправлено с моего MI 6 через Tapatalk

• ED Team

https://gyazo.com/80d9933ae1d536f6e27bbe892e4cef5a

old file format.

it is necessary to specify the full name of the texture file to the DDS file type.

that is, in this case the name of the roughness map will be "alq-184.bmp_RoughMet.dds"

To avoid flickering you shoud add this line to description.lua of your livery:

{"ALQ-184_Main", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC, "ALQ-184.bmp_RoughMet.dds", true};

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Thanks both for your help.:thumbup:

When adding again the "bmp" to the name of the roughmet files, the dds files with the roughmet textures are loaded (no more perfect flat and shiny surfaces)...

however, they are messed (flicker and apply wrong into surface of the objects)...then I did what Automan said, but it doesn't seem to work either...textures are loaded but messed...

1512136714-dcs-2017-12-01-14-39-44-54.jpg

also, once I add the "bmp" to the name, the litening pod (which had been working perfectly fine without the "bmp" into the name) stoppped working and looked flat matte?¿?¿?:huh:...as soon as I remove the "bmp" from the name it works perfect without messing with any lua.

Don't know what's going on but all this roughmet thing seems much harder than I expected.

Maybe best thing is waiting for ED to fully implement this into DCS.

• ED Team

Look at the model in the modelview, are the textures correctly displayed there? A separate model of the container with your texture, I was displayed correctly.

Sorry for the delay!...I have tested the models with my roughmets in model viewer and they work and look fine...no idea what the hell is wrong...looks like I'm having the same problem as with the A-10C...only thing I can think could be a problem is I'm NOT using RoughMet for the A-10C skin, only for tgp, alq-131 and 184...could this be a problem?

thanks for the help mate!

Edited by watermanpc

• 2 weeks later...

flickering and corrupted textures happen when the roughmet isnt defined in the description.lua.

AFAIK, this should have been fixed in the lastest 2.2 build,

As I'm able to load different liveries now and the sim will keep the default roughmets loaded w/o problems or them being defined in the description.lua