SKIN: F-51D of Col. M. Glessner, Korea 1950

Robo.

Beautiful aircraft by ED :thumbup: I am just learning to use the DDS textures and I am rather new to DCS, it's great stuff and Pony is fun to fly. Find attached a skin of a USAF F-51D deployed in Korea, this particular aircraft, FF-736, was flown by Colonel Milton Glessner. The skin is finished and works OK, I consider it WIP because some details are rahter confusing and are being depicted different in various sources (e.g. colour of the canopy frame, details like serial number on wheel doors, fonts etc. etc.) If you happen to have any further information about the aircraft or if you find anything wrong, feel free to comment. I'd like to release the final version and some more Korean 51s at some point. Enjoy.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE

(DCS psd template has been used)

Edited by Robo.

Very nice. I have not the slightest idea on how to do a skin but admire the work that is accomplished

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."-----anonymous

A very nice skin. The F-51s of the FEAF are often overlooked, because of the star status of the Saber. The F-51D racked up many La- 7 kills, Yak- 9 kills and IL- 10 kills, not too mention a few Mig 15 kills, too. :thumbup: MJ

Edited by mjmorrow

A very nice skin. The F-51s of the FEAF are often overlooked, because of the star status of the Saber. The F-51D racked up many La- 7 kills, Yak- 9 kills and IL- 10 kills, not too mention a few Mig 15 kills, too. :thumbup: MJ

Hey mjmorrow - that's pretty much the way I see it, too! :thumbup: Korean skins are not as cool visually as WWII ones, but their pilots did a great job in there. Weathering is quite different, too, to the polished look of restored machines or to the dull aluminium of WWII planes, these were simply dirty and with this particular sharkmouth scheme, dog ugly imho. But it's historical + all the credit to the brave Stang pilots in Korea. Many were KIA or MIA while attacking ground targets, so were Mr. Glessner.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Thanks for this F-51D skin. Great work. I immediately took her to the virtual DCS skies :)

The Korean War theme is very interesting and the F-51 paint schemes are difficult to research as there were a lot of changes done to the markings during the course of the conflict. The 18th FBG flew the Mustang in the close support role nearly the entire war until they transitioned to the fighter bomber version of the F-86 Sabre. What other skins are you planing to do? Maybe a later version of the 12th FBS "Foxy Few" (shark mouth, yellow trim, black walkways...) ore some red trimmed 67th FBS F-51Ds?