VVS504 Dedicated Server New Pilots Day.

The VVS504 Dedicated server willbe running a whole day for new pilots to Lockon.

Every Thursday the server will run all its missions with EASY settings and LABELS ON !

The server will switch to "Newbie Mode" at approximatly 09:00* on Thursday morning and switch back approximatly 09:00* Friday morning.

Also a dedicated Teamspeak server has been set up with 25 slots for you guys to chat and share your knowledge.

You will need these programs to join in the fun :

HYPER LOBBY

TEAMSPEAK

Teamspeak connection details :-

IP/URL = http://www.newnight.vvs504.co.uk:8777 (dont click, copy and paste)

Have Fun

Wolfie

*All times GMT

Good idea !! way to go WS504 !!

I suggest turning labels off too , If you can't find a plane without labels than it's the second thing you need to teach yourself . (the first being to ID friend or foe)

[sIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/madmaxx69/LOMAC/Rykesig1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Savage 77th , http://s77th.com

|Core i7 920|Asus P6T Deluxe V2|GTX 285|9600GT-OC|6G DDR3|Softh on 3x22"CRTs|Tir2|yeahIsaidTir2|X-45|Haf 932|Vista Ultimate 64|

Good idea !! way to go WS504 !!

I suggest turning labels off too , If you can't find a plane without labels than it's the second thing you need to teach yourself . (the first being to ID friend or foe)

I disagree. If they know where the plane is (by the labels) it will help them to learn where to point the radar to find it

I disagree. If they know where the plane is (by the labels) it will help them to learn where to point the radar to find it

And that is exactly the kind of thing that can be learned offline. Someone may need to know that the scanning altitude needs to be raised and lowered for certain situations, but once someone knows that, it's just a matter of practice. There may be pilots that need that kind of elementary instruction, however, so perhaps the 504th might alternate labels on/off every hour or so to let the nuggets practice their skills in the server settings they will be seeing in other servers while still having an instructor pilot on comms.

It seems we have a chicken or the egg situation here don't we? I would grudgingly accept labels long enough to concentrate on learning target acquistion systems. But Ryke is correct- they should be turned off ASAP. Anyone under me would lose them the minute he knew the basic radar controls.

mail_call_host_topright.jpg

Its not just about radar aquisition, labels are useful for training in EWS as well. Especially if you are trying to learn both the Western style EWS and Eastern style at the same time, like I am. I still have a hard time. It may seem simple to you if you have been doing it for years on multiple different modern flight sims, but it is not easy for someone who has never flown a modern flight sim ever.

If you need advice on how to set up a server to teach new people I suggest you ask the students what they need. Sure you can throw them in the deep end and it is sink or swim time, but your only going to frustrate and turn people off.

Personally, I wish I had someone local so I could transport both themself and their computer to my house, set up a LAN, just so I could sit side-by-side experimenting with the systems of the aircraft. :)

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

No one said throw em in the deep end. Once a student demonstrates that he knows how to use radar & it's submodes. Use IRST. If I say slew radar up & right, he can.. If I say lock me up thermal and read to me my speed & altitude..etc etc. Personally- I'm not going to rattle off some terminology and commence-a-killing him over & over. No point in that. Not just combat procedures, either. Navigation, landing, whatever. I get the labels in certain situations, but they should not be used beyond the familiarization stages.

By the way- I came to this world from Nova's L3 for gods sake. I never flew IL2, flanker, Falcon, Janes, Johns, Peter, Paul, & Mary or any of that. I bought myself a good computer, a HOTAS and a track ir, and threw myself into the deep end of the pool. If a old timer from nova can commit to learning this game- anyone can.

I just put this in another thread & I don't know if you can export it from the server, but some midpoint between labels on & off like:

AirFormat = {}

AirFormat[750] = ""

AirFormat[6500] = "%N"

AirFormat[15000] = "-'-"

AirFormat[22000] = "-"

AirFormat[32000] = "."

WeaponFormat = {}

WeaponFormat[500] = " "

WeaponFormat[3000] = "%D"

WeaponFormat[9000] = "-"

WeaponFormat[12000] = " "

ColorAliesSide = {125, 0, 125}

ColorEnemiesSide = {125, 0, 125}

might be helpful to beginners

Cheers.

I think this is a great it will give people a chance to play online something they have not done before labels or no labels

I have been playing this game since 1.02 and have just started playing online. Not because I do not understand game. I will admit I do not understand it all I just so not have the time. The reason I have not played online before is because I did not know what it was like and there is always somebody that takes the game to serious

Well I got the Teamspeak server bookmarked so you can be sure I will be on there crashing into buildings/hills and whatnot.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars