TM WARTHOG HOTAS SWITCH ASSIGNMENTS FOR MUSTANG P51D

Thought I would share this Configuration and Lua files for the like minded, to try and get some use out of the TM Warthog Hotas.

I haven't delegated any HOTAS switches in regard to engine start up, mainly to do with Throttle, Prop Control Lever, Trim, Knee Board, Gun/Bomb/Rocket selection. The engine " Start Up" and maintenance of systems in its extant form is still simple and better to use the "in cockpit switches" until future patches open further controls.

I am also playing around with an idea in its early stages of getting some name plates cut etched and sized from plastic / perspex type material to replace the switch and button name plate on the throttle block, they basically screw off and are easily fitted, this will be slow, but i will try to get there. This will be initially for BS 2 and later for Mustang. Shouldn't be too hard, but time is my enemy.

Please find attached the Lua's for Throttle. Joystick and rudders and a PDF of Throttle / joystick/ Saitek Rudder assignments.

Any constructive feedback welcome.

Improving the Lua's by adding more switches, will post soon.

:pilotfly:

Some people have asked how to use the Lua files , read the following:

The Lua files are for the HOTAS /Throttle and Joystick and a set of SAITEK Combat Rudders and they tell the Warthog HOTAS the commands to use. It is easy to change them.

1. First download and save them to a folder.

2. Open the game,

3. Open Options then Controls,

4. There is a column assigned to each device, ie, one for the Joystick, one for the Rudders (if you have them) etc etc

5. Highlight the first line in the column of the device you want and clear it using "Clear Category", this will clear the column, if you want to reset it to the default settings, just highlight again and hit the "default" settings. This will reset the factory settings.

6. So to use the Lua files do the following - for example once you have cleared the "joystick" column then re-highlighted that column Load the lua from the folder you saved them in from the "Load Profile" button. Do the same for each device if you want to use that Lua file.

7. Make sure you save the Profile when your done before you leave the settings page

Thats it.... There is plenty of info in the forum about doing this, it isnt hard.smile.gif

Strut WARTHOG Throttle Vers 3.lua

Strut WARTHOG Joystick Vers 3.lua

Strut SAITEK Version 3.lua

MUSTANG CONTROLLER CONFIG.pdf

Edited by Strut
update
  • Like 1

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used this yet ?

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

I think most WARTHOG users are configuring their own settings.

I have done so. I've assigned a lot of my switches to at least get an engine start without having to use the in cockpit switches. I've also got microphone, trim, throttle, rpm, landing gear and other buttons assigned as well.

Thanks for the help though!

-M

Thx Shaderhacker and Ali Fish, thought id give something to the community, didnt get any feedback is all, no probs, was just interested to see what people thought.

• Like 1

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Strut,

I installed my engine starting switches on the Warthog throttle, with the spring loaded ones corresponding to primer and starter:thumbup:

But I have a question:

The two position toggles (like APU Start), when programmed through DCS World, work for 'on' but not for 'off '.

It will start whatever is linked to it, in my case 'ignition, both', but won't turn it off. I examined some lua files and compared to my lua files and found that in the original A-10C Warthog throttle lua files, there is a 'up' and a 'down' position and in the one I programmed through the GUI for the P-51D, same toggle, there is no 'up' position (which btw corresponds to the lower position on the toggles, since the standard switch model used in the lua files is the pushbutton, not the toggle).

In the T.A.R.G.E.T software manual, it is clearly specified that two-position toggles are like that, and that the reason is greater flexibility. And if you try the Windows 7 properties on the throttle, the toggles work and off, no problem (APU Start/Off being #20).

So my problem is that there is no way to program a 'up' position (meaning lower position on the toggle, or 'off') to those two-position toggles, when using the controls editor in DCS.

Lou

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

Installed throttle and joystick LAUs last night (I have a CH pedals). Very helpful, as is the PDF. Frustratingly, many of the assignments (e.g. Engine RPM) didn't even appear in the list until I added yours. No idea why, but it was very confusing until you solved the problem for me. Thanks you!

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

tailspinstales.blogspot.com

In the T.A.R.G.E.T software manual, it is clearly specified that two-position toggles are like that, and that the reason is greater flexibility. And if you try the Windows 7 properties on the throttle, the toggles work and off, no problem (APU Start/Off being #20).

So my problem is that there is no way to program a 'up' position (meaning lower position on the toggle, or 'off') to those two-position toggles, when using the controls editor in DCS.

Lou

Hi, I know there is a way to program the controls like this, however... it does require editing the controls lua file, so after much research I've managed to work out how to do this (because it's done differently in A-10C, Black Shark and P-51D respectively).

First of all, have the key you want bound to the On state of the thing you want toggleable, in your case "Ignition Switch BOTH"

Second of all, you need to find the lua file in question. I'm on Vista and can find it here:

C:\Users\[NAME]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\joystick

In that folder there will be a file named "Throttle - Hotas Warthog", open that in either Notepad or for best results Notepad++ (I use the latter).

Marvel at all the gibberish for a second, then find a line that looks like this (Note, JOY_BTN20 is the APU Switch, it'll look different if you use some other switch):

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0.3, name = "Ignition switch BOTH", category = "Front Switch Box"},

This is the code that basically tells the sim that "When this button is pushed down, set the value of button 3002 (The Ignition Switch) on cockpit_device_id 13 (which is the Front Switch Box) to value_down = 0.3 (0.3, which corresponds to the BOTH setting)"

This is where the funsies start. You can edit the line to add "up = 3002" and "value_up = 0" to make it switch to OFF when the button is released.

In other words, make the line look like this:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, up = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0.3, value_up = 0, name = "Ignition switch BOTH", category = "Front Switch Box"},

This will tell it that when JOY_BTN20 is released, set the value of Button 3002 on cockpit_device_id 13 to value_up = 0, while retaining the original function.

The logic behind this can be found on the "Ignition Switch OFF" line:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN24"}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0, name = "Ignition switch OFF", category = "Front Switch Box"},

Note that I bound it to a key in order to highlight it during editing. This line will most likely look different to you.

This tells it to set the value of the Ignition Switch to 0, which logically means that 0 is the OFF setting.

I hope that helps, and that you can use this in the future to edit other buttons in a similar manner. Feel free to ask if you've got any questions.

TL;DR

Open the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" lua file under your controls folder.

Replace:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id =  13, value_down = 0.3, name = "Ignition switch BOTH", category = "Front  Switch Box"},

With:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, up = 3002,  cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0.3, value_up = 0, name = "Ignition  switch BOTH", category = "Front Switch Box"},

Fly, have fun, and don't switch the Magnetos off mid-flight. ;)

Installed throttle and joystick LAUs last night (I have a CH pedals). Very helpful, as is the PDF. Frustratingly, many of the assignments (e.g. Engine RPM) didn't even appear in the list until I added yours. No idea why, but it was very confusing until you solved the problem for me. Thanks you!

You can try looking under "Axis Commands" or similar. They should all be there.

Edited by Spy Guy

Problems setting up switches on the HOTAS Warthog or similar?

Tutorial Here

Thanks Spy Guy,

I hoped there would be a way in the GUI (there should be), but editing the lua for 5 switches is not to bad.

Thanks for the clarifications on the meaning of codes in the lua file. :thumbup:

Lou :pilotfly:

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

Hi, I know there is a way to program the controls like this, however... it does require editing the controls lua file, so after much research I've managed to work out how to do this (because it's done differently in A-10C, Black Shark and P-51D respectively).

First of all, have the key you want bound to the On state of the thing you want toggleable, in your case "Ignition Switch BOTH"

Second of all, you need to find the lua file in question. I'm on Vista and can find it here:

C:\Users\[NAME]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\P-51D\joystick

In that folder there will be a file named "Throttle - Hotas Warthog", open that in either Notepad or for best results Notepad++ (I use the latter).

Marvel at all the gibberish for a second, then find a line that looks like this (Note, JOY_BTN20 is the APU Switch, it'll look different if you use some other switch):

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0.3, name = "Ignition switch BOTH", category = "Front Switch Box"},

This is the code that basically tells the sim that "When this button is pushed down, set the value of button 3002 (The Ignition Switch) on cockpit_device_id 13 (which is the Front Switch Box) to value_down = 0.3 (0.3, which corresponds to the BOTH setting)"

This is where the funsies start. You can edit the line to add "up = 3002" and "value_up = 0" to make it switch to OFF when the button is released.

In other words, make the line look like this:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, up = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0.3, value_up = 0, name = "Ignition switch BOTH", category = "Front Switch Box"},

This will tell it that when JOY_BTN20 is released, set the value of Button 3002 on cockpit_device_id 13 to value_up = 0, while retaining the original function.

The logic behind this can be found on the "Ignition Switch OFF" line:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN24"}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0, name = "Ignition switch OFF", category = "Front Switch Box"},

Note that I bound it to a key in order to highlight it during editing. This line will most likely look different to you.

This tells it to set the value of the Ignition Switch to 0, which logically means that 0 is the OFF setting.

I hope that helps, and that you can use this in the future to edit other buttons in a similar manner. Feel free to ask if you've got any questions.

TL;DR

Open the "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" lua file under your controls folder.

Replace:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id =  13, value_down = 0.3, name = "Ignition switch BOTH", category = "Front  Switch Box"},

With:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = 3002, up = 3002,  cockpit_device_id = 13, value_down = 0.3, value_up = 0, name = "Ignition  switch BOTH", category = "Front Switch Box"},

Fly, have fun, and don't switch the Magnetos off mid-flight. ;)

You can try looking under "Axis Commands" or similar. They should all be there.

but does not work with DCS BS2?

the APU switch I set as the laser ON / OFF, but does not work. I have to lower it, then lift it again to put the instrument off.

Please, here is my profile. if you can check and correct:

Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {4F5AAB20-1637-11e1-8002-444553540000}.lua

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

but does not work with DCS BS2?

the APU switch I set as the laser ON / OFF, but does not work. I have to lower it, then lift it again to put the instrument off.

Please, here is my profile. if you can check and correct:

Done.

Have a look at this for BS2:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = iCommandPlaneLaserRangerOnOff, name = "Laser standby On/Off switch", category = "Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR"},

It looks very different from the code for P-51D. Instead of setting the value of various cockpit switches, button down sends the command iCommandPlaneLaserRangerOnOff which, fairly intuitively, toggles the laser standby switch.

HOWEVER!

Here is where BS2 is vastly inferior to A-10C and P-51D... there is no individual command for the On / Off state of these buttons (to my knowledge anyway, I deeply wish I am wrong), so the following is the best I can do:

{combos = {{key = "JOY_BTN20"}, }, down = iCommandPlaneLaserRangerOnOff, up = iCommandPlaneLaserRangerOnOff, name = "Laser standby On/Off switch", category = "Ins Targeting Mode Controls Panel PVR"},

By adding this bit: "up = iCommandPlaneLaserRangerOnOff," to the command in question, basically having it send the command again when you flip the APU switch.

This will give you the functionality you want, however if the APU switch is in the UP position when you start the simulator, it may not be syncronized with the position of the switch in-sim.

I have this problem with the HE/AP switch where, if I flick the switch on the TM Warthog's throttle down, it might go up in-sim, or vice versa.

Nothing exceedingly confusing, and it will work consistently in-game, but it's a massive annoyance.

Compare the Ignition Switch example. If his APU switch starts in the UP position and he flicks it down, the ignition switch will still be in the OFF position, whereas this solution will only change the state of the switch in question.

Another issue is that some things can't be bound, such as the burst-length (oh, I'd kill to have that on a three-position switch).

Anyway, I'm getting long-winded, aren't I?

Just replace your lua file with the one attached and the Laser Standby Switch will work as described. ;)

Throttle - HOTAS Warthog {4F5AAB20-1637-11e1-8002-444553540000}.lua

Tutorial Here

thanks a lot. pity that BS2 works differently than other simulators

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

it works great! thanks a lot: D

it works great! thanks a lot: D

You are very welcome. ^_^

Thanks Spy Guy,

I hoped there would be a way in the GUI (there should be), but editing the lua for 5 switches is not to bad.

Thanks for the clarifications on the meaning of codes in the lua file. :thumbup:

Lou pilotfly.gif

...and so are you. :thumbup:

Tutorial Here

I am also playing around with an idea in its early stages of getting some name plates cut etched and sized from plastic / perspex type material to replace the switch and button name plate on the throttle block, they basically screw off and are easily fitted, this will be slow, but i will try to get there. This will be initially for BS 2 and later for Mustang. Shouldn't be too hard, but time is my enemy.

smile.gif

Time is the big killer! It's a bummer when Real Life gets in the way!

A while back I had the similar idea and contacted Thrustmaster, they sent me two adobe illustrator files of the pannels for the Warthog Throttle.

In the original files there are seperate layers for the line, text, hole and LED placement.

ThrottleUp.jpg

throttleBottom.jpg

I'm not sure how copyright would work but if they are of any use you could send a similar email or a PM :smilewink:

Cheers!

(Edit - Some Gremlin seams to have gotten into my photobucket account! Hmmm! :huh:)

Edited by Skoshi Tiger
  • Like 1

Well done Skoshi. i dont think any copyright problems because when im going to try and make my own i will have different names and functions, also no one will see them but me, and if i want to lend them to someone then thats my business... but really shouldn't be a problem. Those templates are great just need the dimensions, which shouldnt be too hard with a tape measure . Thanks again

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In relation to trying to get functions and switches to work, i just play around with them until i find a solution ie- set them on/off, find the best to suit, and as has been discussed obove, a lot of the switchs u need to have the function turned on when you apply the changes. I did play around with TARGET, but to be honest the in game defaults for the Warthog Hotas seem to me to be a better proposition. Also i found that a lot of the mustang functions have a "Rotary" function in the DCS Control settings, i found that these work well, and that you actually can assign multiple functions to one switch.

Ive shown below some more switchs i have added, although the front panel ive still left alone because its easier, in my opinion , to start with the mouse pointer.

FUEL NORM LEFT ENG SWITCH > BATTERY SWITCH

FUEL NORM RIGHT ENG SWITCH> GENERATOR SWITCH

ENGINE OPERATION IGN SWITCH LEFT> POSITION LIGHTS

TAIL (ROTARY)

ENGINE OPERATION IGN SWITCH RIGHT> POSITION LIGHTS WING (ROTARY)

EAC ARM SWITCH> COOLANT RADIATOR AIR CONTROL SWITCH (Auto)

RDR ALTM NRM SWITCH> OIL RADIATOR AIR CONTROL SWITCH (Auto)

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Thx Shaderhacker and Ali Fish, thought id give something to the community, didnt get any feedback is all, no probs, was just interested to see what people thought.

Hi, I'm late to the party, as usual for me. Just discovered this thread, so I'm looking forward to giving your profile a try when I'm back at my PC tonight. I've been struggling with what to assign where using the TARGET software, so maybe now is a good time to step back and try a fresh approach.

Thanks for sharing your work; I'll post back here how things went. I fly Cliffs of Dover online a great deal, but as we all know CoD has its problems right now -- talk about stepping back and trying a fresh approach: here I am! LOL

Does anyone here also use the CH Quadrant with their Warthog?

EDIT: Both Warthog Throttle and Joystick profiles worked great. Doing some minor revisions (does that ever end?) to "fit" me a bit more. Your profiles have given me a great starting point to continue building on. Thanks again!

Edited by ATAG_Snapper
Feedback on Strut's .lua profiles

• 2 weeks later...
In relation to trying to get functions and switches to work, i just play around with them until i find a solution ie- set them on/off, find the best to suit, and as has been discussed obove, a lot of the switchs u need to have the function turned on when you apply the changes. I did play around with TARGET, but to be honest the in game defaults for the Warthog Hotas seem to me to be a better proposition. Also i found that a lot of the mustang functions have a "Rotary" function in the DCS Control settings, i found that these work well, and that you actually can assign multiple functions to one switch.

Ive shown below some more switchs i have added, although the front panel ive still left alone because its easier, in my opinion , to start with the mouse pointer.

FUEL NORM LEFT ENG SWITCH > BATTERY SWITCH

FUEL NORM RIGHT ENG SWITCH> GENERATOR SWITCH

ENGINE OPERATION IGN SWITCH LEFT> POSITION LIGHTS

TAIL (ROTARY)

ENGINE OPERATION IGN SWITCH RIGHT> POSITION LIGHTS WING (ROTARY)

EAC ARM SWITCH> COOLANT RADIATOR AIR CONTROL SWITCH (Auto)

RDR ALTM NRM SWITCH> OIL RADIATOR AIR CONTROL SWITCH (Auto)

OK STRUT I am among the challenged can you assist me in understanding the separate joystick throttle files and more importantly why they both have multiple keys not in the other that do not corespond to the original key/button??

Thsnx much,

WheelChair

PS. Anyone is welcomed to assist me in this respect as well!

W__

hi guys, how do I turn on a green light every time I move a particular switch?

i'm used Black Shark 2

• 1 year later...

Hey, Strut, thanks for posting the profiles. Looks like a lot of work went into them--a lot of effort. Couple of questions: 1) The throttles and rudders are reversed; is there a fix for that? And, 2) A dumb question, do you install all three profiles?

Thanks

bkrull

Bkrull, u can reverse the throttle and rudder setting in options / controls / Axis commands / Axis tune / invert, and yes install all the profiles

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You will find the Axis commands in the drop down menu where all the binds are listed

Regards

DL available skins here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 months later...

thanks Strut... your profile works for me! I've only had the p51 a couple of hours and you made the transition easy!

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy