Elevator Trim Profile for CH FighterStick

Azazel

Just thought I'd share. Elevator trim in this bird is touchy (everything I've read about the real bird seems to fit what ED is trying to model with their product) and just mapping the keystroke to your HOTAS might prove frustrating. I tried that and it was okay but no matter what I did I found I was chasing the VSI so I just assigned the elevator trim axis to my unused throttle axis on my CH Fighterstick. Here are the settings:

DZ = 0

SAT X and Y both = 100 (this is to ensure full range of the trim dial)

Curvature = +60

The large curve ensures that while the wheel is in its center area of motion, a small input up or down creates an equally small movement on the aircraft's elevator trim wheel.

Leave Slider and User curve unchecked.

Go ahead and check "invert" (this ensures that as you pull back on the wheel the nose goes up).

The Mustang flies rock steady for me now at all altitudes (almost no inputs needed to say level).

Enjoy!

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Exactly.

Imperative that all trim functions are mapped to an axis where possible and thereafter tuned for user preference. If not, trim could prove a wee bit difficult.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yeah, I wish I had more wheels on my setup. Right now I only have the one but using keystrokes mapped in DX on the flight stick for rudder and aileron trim is fine right now.

My Rig: EVGA GTX 1070 x 2 | EVGA x58 SLI classified | i7 X 990 CPU | 24 GB RAM | Windows 10 Home 64 bit| Track IR Pro | CH Fighter Stick | CH Throttle | CH Pro Pedals |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was very helpful, Azazel; finally I can control all the porpoising. I wonder if anything can be done -- either in CH CM or in the sim -- to adjust trim sensitivity so that it works when mapped to a hat. Maybe when the devs implement trim tabs, as opposed yo using the main control surface deflection, this will be possible.

BTW, small point but do not invert the axis setting if you want the function to be realistic. IRL, an elevator trim wheel is always rotated backwards, i.e. towards you, for nose-up.

I'm severly tempted, Ghost, just not sure how to either (i) hide the purchase from wife or (ii) justify it to her. Money is tight.

Just do it, you won't regret.

Cheers, Ghost! :)

Sabre.

This was very helpful, Azazel; finally I can control all the porpoising. I wonder if anything can be done -- either in CH CM or in the sim -- to adjust trim sensitivity so that it works when mapped to a hat. Maybe when the devs implement trim tabs, as opposed yo using the main control surface deflection, this will be possible.

BTW, small point but do not invert the axis setting if you want the function to be realistic. IRL, an elevator trim wheel is always rotated backwards, i.e. towards you, for nose-up.

For me, I have to have the inverted box checked, otherwise triming the wheel towards me (backwards) puts the nose down not up. Glad I was able to help, I trained in Mooneys awhile back and (believe it or not) they have similar elevator trim characteristics when compared to the 51. Mooneys have a similar laminar airflow wing :-) This is a great sim so far, awesome job ED. Bring on the 109s and 190s.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...

Has anyone resolved the response delay when mapping elevator trim to an axis?

Like Azazel, I've mapped elevator trim to the throttle dial on my CH Fighter stick. If I roll this dial forward, it takes several seconds for the virtual trim dial to catch up because it turn so slowly! Imagine if stick inputs had this kind of delay, you'd never be able to control the plane.

Has anyone been able to remedy this?