The new EXPLOSIONS

So has anyone else noticed the new explosion in the beta? You can see it when you fire rockets into the ground, and I just wanted to say that it looks great. You can see dirt been thrown out from the impact point and it really is an improvement over the other explosions, in my opinion anyway :thumbup:

Hoping to see more such explosions when DCS: World is released properly :D

Agreed, they do seem better. Accidentally flew the Mustang into the ground at around 300 and the fireball was better than I expected from A-10.;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Can someone make a short youtube video of these explosions for us who don't have the beta? Thanks.

Nn5KwnN_Jn0

Edited by 159th_Viper
  • Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

One large boom.

2101199483_Bigboom.thumb.jpg.05d12fc94a36b17b2c0fce40e7a0105a.jpg

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I liked the previous ones better, now it's more Hollywood.

this is a joke...right:lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

indeed, very nice explosions - but is it possible to keep the dark smoke clouds a longer time period over the area? (i know it will cost some performance but it would be more realistic....)

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

indeed, very nice explosions - but is it possible to keep the dark smoke clouds a longer time period over the area? (i know it will cost some performance but it would be more realistic....)

That's one of those things that would be fantastic if it were on a slider, or otherwise adjustable, but I suspect that doing that would be complicated enough to not be worth the trouble just for those with systems that could handle it.

The new explosion is cool and something I have been looking forward to but it's used wrong as it's perfect for big warhead exploding upon impacting ground but not that good for small missile or rocket hitting vehicle. Unfortunately Mk-84 still uses the old animation but Vikhr is using the new one while the old one would fit it better. Also the dust "prongs" might benefit from lighter and more brown color.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

The new explosion is cool and something I have been looking forward to but it's used wrong as it's perfect for big warhead exploding upon impacting ground but not that good for small missile or rocket hitting vehicle. Unfortunately Mk-84 still uses the old animation but Vikhr is using the new one while the old one would fit it better. Also the dust "prongs" might benefit from lighter and more brown color.

jdam explosion:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/GBU-38_munition_explosions_in_Iraq.jpg

things i notice:

sharp v shaped ejections. the current prong effects do not do justice to the velocity and violence of this ejection. this can only be done with a sprite featuring fine grains on an alpha transparent background.

i think combined with the current effect, with the dark color changed to brown, it would work fairly well.

i honestly think ed underestimates animated sprites. for efficient, non resource intensive dust kickup effects, sprites are still unparalleled. this is because they happen fast enough that the illusion of dimension and volume isn't broken. also, they can be as detailed as the artist cna make them. they can have complex shapes and multiple colors because it's basically an animated texture, something particles require lots of power to do.

some sprite kick up effect from other games as inspiration:

http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/121/1217397/WoT_2_1327696888.jpg

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2010/11/Red-Orchestra-2-sandbag-bunker.jpg

what happens is you combine sprite and particle effects to simulate the appearance of dust, dirt, debris moving at different velocity, trajectories and scale.

My two cents on the new explosions:

Very promising, but not quite finished yet.

IMHO, the following changes would improve them substantially:

1. As others have said, it's currently a one-size-fits-all thing which doesn't really work very well if simply scaled for warheads of different explosive power. I strongly suspect this is a beta issue though, but I'll mention it just to be sure ;)

2. A stylistic gripe: the incandescent fireball should in my view be brighter and more luminous with reddish areas, a bit like it used to be with the previous explosions actually.

3. The shock wave is still overdone, it should only be visible as a brief flash and never grow as large as it does because in real life its own expansion in space dilutes its strength rather quickly. In fact, the shock wave effect has probably not been changed at all, so hopefully this is another non-issue which will soon be taken care of anyway.

4. My biggest beef apart from the fireball: the dust prong animation (as Bushmanni has so aptly called it) is not physically convincing in my opinion. Initially the prongs move in a straight line which is perfectly sensible for fine particulate matter that is not significantly affected by gravity. However, they then proceed to fall to the ground quite quickly while dissipating and that looks weird because it doesn't make sense for fine dust. My recommendation would be to EITHER have the dust prongs simply dissipate without settling to the ground at all OR make them follow a visibly curved trajectory from the outset (as would happen if the material was dense enough to be subject to a noticeable gravitational pull).

5. Some small sparks (like those in the Black Shark 1.0 cannon impact or ammo cook off effect), following nice parabolic arcs would be welcome :)

Edited by Trident