closing to WVR

i have a couple of questions about this in FC

in the F15, with radra off and in bvr mode with an AIM120 selected will i get an indication that the amraams seeker head is tracking a target? if so at what sort of range?

in the mig29 and su27\33 when in vert scan i don't get a triangle or circle in the mfd as i did in v1.02 when i acquire a target? how do i tell if its a friendly or bandit?

sorry for all the noob qstns :)

No, you will not. The AMRAAM requires initial guidance from the launching aircraft.

In the Russian birds, when using vetrical scan you're probably in EOS mode, which will NOT give you IFF info - you'll have to turn the radar on to do that, which may warn your enemy you're there. Or you can fly close enough to ID visually - right down tot he markings on the wings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Guest IguanaKing
i have a couple of questions about this in FC

in the F15, with radra off and in bvr mode with an AIM120 selected will i get an indication that the amraams seeker head is tracking a target? if so at what sort of range?

in the mig29 and su27\33 when in vert scan i don't get a triangle or circle in the mfd as i did in v1.02 when i acquire a target? how do i tell if its a friendly or bandit?

sorry for all the noob qstns :)

You won't be able to make a targeted launch of the AIM-120 without your radar. Right after launch, the AIM-120 is in Command Inertial mode...meaning its own radar is not yet active so it uses both inertial guidance and steering information via datalink with the launch aircraft. This requires the use of a particular sensor on the aircraft which is linked to fire control...in the case of the F-15, it requires the use of your radar. If the F-15 were equipped with IRST, this could also be used to pass guidance information to the missile in flight via the datalink...but, it isn't, so the radar is your only choice. Of course, you could always go pitbull and pray that it finds a target...an enemy target. Throwing a pitbull into a fur ball...not a good idea. ;)

thanks for the info guys, i'm always impressed at the willingness of people to share their knowledge in this forum.

Originally posted by GGTharos:

In the Russian birds, when using vetrical scan you're probably in EOS mode

does the russian radar still have the 110 (?) degree bank limitation in vertical scan as is the case in bvr mode? this would explain a lot as banking too hard would throw the system into eos automatically and hence no IFF?

thanks again.

does the russian radar still have the 110 (?) degree bank limitation in vertical scan as is the case in bvr mode? this would explain a lot as banking too hard would throw the system into eos automatically and hence no IFF?

thanks again.

No, just usually the Vertical Scan mode starts off in EOS.

The BVR mode has the 110 degree bank limitation, but the CAC modes don't.

I think it's modelled in v1.1 such that once you have your BVR lock, you don't lose it beyond 110 degrees roll - that's to do with the way the radar tracks. Once you've got a lock, the radar is pretty good at keeping it.