Jammers and reducing launch ranges/TEWS not picking up contacts

A couple things...

I was playing a 1 vs 1 su27 vs f15 to test the effects of jammer reducing launch ranges and weather I used ECM or not the launch range for the SU was 30 nm.... I thought the ECM was supposed to reduce launch ranges?

Secondly..

While playing the 3rd mission for the f15 campain the mission was to intercept a flight of 4 tu-25s and 4 su27... My tews does not pick up any contacts... On my rwr I could pick them up but they were using ECM... How the he'll could my tews NOT pick up any of the contacts ??

"When the going gets weird, the weird trun pro."

-HST

You didn't happen to save the track files, perchance? Makes it easier to look at what's going on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

A couple things...

I was playing a 1 vs 1 su27 vs f15 to test the effects of jammer reducing launch ranges and weather I used ECM or not the launch range for the SU was 30 nm.... I thought the ECM was supposed to reduce launch ranges?

The AI cheats.

Secondly..

While playing the 3rd mission for the f15 campain the mission was to intercept a flight of 4 tu-25s and 4 su27... My tews does not pick up any contacts... On my rwr I could pick them up but they were using ECM... How the he'll could my tews NOT pick up any of the contacts ??

I'm guessing you're not picking them up on RWR - you're seeing them on radar (otherwise you wouldn't have known they're using ECM). TEWS = RWR in FC2. Same thing.

So, they just didn't have their radars on or they're beyond the RWR's ability to pick them up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

My scope on the right hand side wasn't picking them up... Even when they close to 20 or even 10 nm the scope didn't pick them up... They must have had their radars on because they had me locked up... Didn't know that turning your radar off made you invisible on the scope..

-HST

It is a radar warning receiver. If a radar is not on, then it won't show you anything.

How do you know you were locked if there was nothing on the RWR?

My scope on the right hand side wasn't picking them up... Even when they close to 20 or even 10 nm the scope didn't pick them up... They must have had their radars on because they had me locked up... Didn't know that turning your radar off made you invisible on the scope..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Because I got launch warning..

I'll fly it again and upload the track file

so if the bandit doesn't have their radar on then he's invisible on the rwr but not on your radar?forgive my dumb questions I'm just Hella confused right now.

-HST

I think you need to read up on radar and rwr's a bit ...

In any case, the bandit could easily turn their radar on just to fire on you. What sort of launch warning did you get? What was the missile they used?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The bandits in that mission have AWACS and EWR so they don't need radar to see you, the only time they will use radar and lock you is when AWACS shows them that you're turning hot on them or they are in a good firing position.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

it was an r-27 aa-10 I believe

Note that if it is an R-27T, there is no radar involved. That's a heat-seeker. Very annoying things. (See my "location". :P )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Another sneaky thing you can keep in mind is dual-launches - what happens if a Flanker spikes you? You generally go defensive, use your chaff and maneuver to defeat that offending SARH.

...and then you get killed by the 27T (or 27ET, same thing but longer range, still same seeker head limitations though) that you forgot might also be coming. Story of my life. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester