DCS: P-51D Mustang Coming in 2012

Wags

I don't know why P51...

What scenery?, what enemy planes? su25 vs Mustang?.

How about flying the P-51? :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even fantasy scenarios. Like 5 p51's vs two mig 29's or anything that a sandbox sim that Ed are giving is can dictate. This isn't real life it's better, we won't die if we crash, the physical stress of g's can't discomfort us. We play with the tools were given. Have you seen what a child does with an appliance box?

Use your....imagination or get re familiar with it. Damn as ive grown up over the years my sim time is highly limited and I enjoy every second I get to "fly".

Helicopters, fixed wing, prop and soon to be supersonic jet...all under one roof.

Awesome!

Flying? where?. This is not X-Plane of Flight Simulator, it's a combat simulator. It's a strange commercial movement, at least for me.
Eagle Dynamics is actually owned by Fighter Collection. Thus, Fighter Collection makes a final decision on which project/airplane is going to be made by Eagle Dynamics.

Fighter Collection is in business of restoring and flying vintage/WW II aircraft and having really, really good P-51 PC simulator will definitely be very favorable for the Fighter Collection business.

That's why ED made P-51.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Flying? where?. This is not X-Plane of Flight Simulator, it's a combat simulator. It's a strange commercial movement, at least for me.

The 51 has 6 50 cal's...that's not found in XPLANE. It will be a combat sim no matter how you try to pretend otherwise. If you can't see the potential in it that's fine, but give it more credit than writing it off as a commercial move (XPLANE)

Note my emphasis - flying.

Let's put it like this: people who "learned" warbirds through flying various FSX addons or (heh) IL-2 games are in for a shock. Flying a plane like this is not the easy-mode you get from those games, including CloD. And yes, CloD at full "realism" is still easy mode. ;)

Even if you are a hardened ace in IL-2 or similar, don't expect to even take off on the first try here. These planes are HARD to fly unless you have the requisite training, and every consumer simulation I've yet seen of the P-51 is (almost) like pretending you know how to fly an F-35 because you flew one in HAWX. Yup, that big, I'm only barely exhaggerating. (And for the record, I absolutely suck at flying the P-51 - I've learned to hate the word "torque". :P )

If you want to experience what it's like to fly this, and don't have a real one on hand (like TFC did), there is nothing that even gets close to this. "As real as it gets." ;)

Aside from that, feature lists and so on are, as the release states, a matter for the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The 51 has 6 50 cal's...

Don't forget the ten weapons-stations :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I'm going to elaborate on EtherealN's point.

Where before we had flight sims with their awesome FMs and/or procedures, and then combat flight sims with weapons, radars, guns, missiles, bombs, etc ...

DCS has put the FLIGHT into Combat Flight simulation. This is huge: You can simulate flying a plane the way it flies. If you get into the real deal, it'll fly the same, within the limitations of the FM. Naturally nothing is perfect - FM's can get better, but can't be perfect - and you shouldn't take the controls of a plane without real instruction - but yep, that's how far DCS goes.

It isn't that DCS is perfect: There's always room for improvement. AI, campaign management, number of AI in the mission, air traffic procedures. But that doesn't diminish the fact that you have awesome FM merged with combat flight simulation now. It's all about your stick and rudder skills now, and about as close as most of us will ever get to a real combat aircraft and air combat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Meh i look forward to blasting it out of the skies with an ER?

lock on, or FC2, was sort of "balanced" in it's own way, red vs blue. There were the 27's and the f15's.

This provided the community, us, some choosing headroom, and online pitting these planes agains't another was fantastic. Sort of like Starcraft, both had very different flying styles but kinda balanced. Neither plane had an advantage, but you had to learn how to fly it.

I can't see this fitting in and help but think this is gonna grow a rather small community even more apart.

[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's modeled to A-10C level. It might even have a device or two that you didn't even know about.

For now, that's all that we can say unless ED decides to reply in detail, but I trust this answers most of your questions.

Edit: Sniped by Viper ... almost literally :D

I see its RWR equipped :)

Hopefully some of the driving reasons behind the DCS P-51D outlined below will help explain why we feel this is an important project for both ED/TFC and the DCS brand.

1. DCS Mustang will feature the same level of model fidelity and dynamics created for previous DCS titles. Combined with full combat capability, we believe it will offer a new and unique warbird experience to the flight sim community.

2. As a powerful, single-engine, propeller-driven combat aircraft, the Mustang will provide entirely new and different challenges and gameplay variations to the DCS player.

3. We are always working to improve and expand the technological base of our simulation software. Having already developed high fidelity helicopter and subsonic jet models, DCS Mustang represents a new milestone in our capabilities and further demonstrates the power and flexibility of our core software engine.

4. We are, after all, aviation enthusiasts. Representing the largest collection of World War 2 era aircraft in Europe, including a fully restored and flying P-51, it’s an honor for ED/TFC to pay tribute to one of the most legendary aircraft in history and the men that flew it into combat.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Use your imagination, and maybe you'll see what's really happening. :)

I dropped enough hints.

While nothing is ever simple in this kind of thing, I believe the man is on the right track in his thinking. If people pay top dollar for warbirds in FSX, imagine how thrilled they'll be at a DCS-level simulation of a warbird? I'll tell you this: if your interest is in the flying bit, and you though IL-2 CloD was a good representation of warbirds... Think again. This is the first time I can really see what my old instructor meant when he talked about flying the P-51, and I've tried a lot of WW2 sims. (Indeed, ww2 sims is where I used to be firmly entrenched until FC1 came around.)

If I can expect beeing able to practise snap roll or a hammerhead with flat spin, like in this video, I'll order it day one for sure :pilotfly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuipnDc7dms

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

I've spent years developing a high fidelity aero model and ground handling model for this aircraft... Would DCS be interested in evaluating this model for potential licensing? I haven't reviewed all 21 pages of this thread, so I have no idea where they are in development. Please send a PM if there is potential interest.

Note my emphasis - flying.

Let's put it like this: people who "learned" warbirds through flying various FSX addons or (heh) IL-2 games are in for a shock. Flying a plane like this is not the easy-mode you get from those games, including CloD. And yes, CloD at full "realism" is still easy mode. ;)

Even if you are a hardened ace in IL-2 or similar, don't expect to even take off on the first try here. These planes are HARD to fly unless you have the requisite training, and every consumer simulation I've yet seen of the P-51 is (almost) like pretending you know how to fly an F-35 because you flew one in HAWX. Yup, that big, I'm only barely exhaggerating. (And for the record, I absolutely suck at flying the P-51 - I've learned to hate the word "torque". :P )

If you want to experience what it's like to fly this, and don't have a real one on hand (like TFC did), there is nothing that even gets close to this. "As real as it gets." ;)

Aside from that, feature lists and so on are, as the release states, a matter for the future.

:thumbup:Oh W-O-W!!! My Immersion meter just went BOINKERS!!!!!:D

Patrick

mini.gif

Now we can pretend to be in the movie "The Final Countdown". Only this will be P51 vs A10.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

But what are we going to do with the thing? And its really not THAT hard to fly. No, I haven't flown one but I have flown with a few people who have and they describe the P-51 as an honest, stable plane with fairly predictable landing qualities--just be careful of the brakes. Depending on the price, I'll probably buy the thing because I am simply a flight sim sucker. But I swear if see mustangs flying AFAC online, ED can take the high fidelity study-sim selling point and pour it down the sink.

But I swear if see mustangs flying AFAC online, ED can take the high fidelity study-sim selling point and pour it down the sink.

If Mustangs are used as AFAC its not ED fault, its the mission creator fault.

Why, instead of rambling about "P51 vs MiG-29" or "P51 vs S-300" no one sees the potential for P-51 X P-51 air combat? I hoped the mind of people that fly simulations were a bit more open...

But one thing is sure, its gonna be fun to see the responses when the other DCS project is announced :D

She is beautiful! I love her:thumbup:

Who is this "SHE" so many people refer too? Having been a mechanic at one time, it's actually embarrassing when people refer to a machine as having a gender or even go as far as giving it a goofy name. It's a machine, plain and simple, there is nothing mystic going on here.

Anyways, I don't really understand what ED was thinking with the P-51. Its completely out of place. DCS does MODERN air combat and should stick to that as that's what it was designed for.

The time spent on this would have been much better spent on an F-18, F-35, F-22, F-16, F-14 or AV-8B Harrier II. I see this as a complete waste of time. It seems more like someone was experimenting and the company decided to make a quick buck off it rather then have some integrity and quality control.

We have sims that do WW2 air combat and while more are welcome, DSC shouldn't go this route. What your going to end up with is another half-baked project.

DCS need to stick to MODERN air combat and not try to be something it's not. Update your graphics engine, make some more modern content, and just keep nickel and diming us with having to pay for updates to Black Shark like your good at but for Pete sake man, leave the WW2 alone, if not forever, at least until you get some essential jets that are still missing from this sim.

If Mustangs are used as AFAC its not ED fault, its the mission creator fault.

Why, instead of rambling about "P51 vs MiG-29" or "P51 vs S-300" no one sees the potential for P-51 X P-51 air combat? I hoped the mind of people that fly simulations were a bit more open...

But one thing is sure, its gonna be fun to see the responses when the other DCS project is announced :D

The whole concept of a SIM is realism. P-51 vs. P-51 really isn't too realistic, let alone in a modern air combat environment.

(rfxcasey) Lights the fuse and despondently walks away.