MAKS, MOSCOW, StPete PICS!!!

bSr.LCsta

Here are some of my favorite photos from my trip to Moscow and St. Petersburg.

(descriptions below)

MAKS International Air Salon 2005

01mainentrance4fk.th.jpg

The main entrance into the Airshow.

01digitaldisplay7qx.th.jpg

Main Digital Display (both ads and the performances were displayed here.

02staticdisplaypanoramic5ec.th.jpg

Static display panoramic

03infrontofsu3320qg.th.jpg

In front of Sukhoi Su-33

04distiction6ee.th.jpg

Photo title: Distinction

05b1bwheelsup22lm.th.jpg

B1-B Take off (This was supposedly the 1st time the B1 had flown over Russian Skies)

06b1bhighspeedpass20ix.th.jpg

B1-B High speed pass #1 (notcie the vapor cloud and trails)

07b1bhighspeedpass10tq.th.jpg

B1-B High speed pass #2 (approx. 1000kph)

08infrontofsamlauncher5qd.th.jpg

Standing on a SA-6 SAM Launcher (needless to say everything seemed much bigger IRL)

09sukhoi3ship4727sk30wheelsup6.th.jpg

Day of Sukhoi opened with the before seen 3 ship Su-30(L), Su-47(M), Su-27SK®

11mig29ovtlanding0mz.th.jpg

Mig-29OVT Landing after what was the best performance of the show!

(this is a thrust vectoring 5th generation fighter which is truely amazing to watch)

MIG-29OVT performance video-----> http://rapidshare.de/files/5368122/MiG-29OVT_Demo_-_MAKS_2005.avi.html

12russianknights163js.th.jpg

Russian Knights low over the crowd

13russianknights268cv.th.jpg

Russian Knight #25 Su-27UB

14russianknights27aleronrollse.th.jpg

Russian Knight #25 Su-27UB (begining aleron roll)

15russianknights39flareseq11hh.th.jpg

I had never seen flares dispenced before IRL. Definately one of the coolest sites!

16russianknights41flareseq35tn.th.jpg

He did 2 (or 3?) spirals with the auto-flare on.

17russianknights46flareseq81xl.th.jpg

By the end the you couldn't even see the jet through the smoke.

18swifts16xn.th.jpg

"Swifts" Flying Mig-29 variants (notice the difference in the flare size between the Mig-29 and Su-27)

19swifts33xx.th.jpg

Swifts again. Very nice flying by this group.

20swifts258nz.th.jpg

Something I noticed about the smaller jets and particularly the Mig was the vapor trails on the wing tips were more extreme. (not sure why?)

• Like 1

is this ok?

21mig2922ld.th.jpg

MIG-29 M2 (The clouds had rolled in by the afternoon which made for some dark photos, but also some cool effects.

22mig29m244gr.th.jpg

MIG-29 M2 Slow with high AOA

23mig29m2hardbank3seq28ht.th.jpg

MIG-29 M2 Hard bank

24mig29m256mn.th.jpg

MIG-29 M2 pitching out of the hard bank.

25mig29m289rk.th.jpg

MIG-29 M2 Salute to the crowd after his performance (Note: This is a 2 seat ac, but I pretty sure it was flown by a single pilot)

26freccetricolori12cg.th.jpg

Frecce Tricolori - These guys have the collest smoke.

27mig29k3qx.th.jpg

MIG-29K Naval variant (typical static display with AC's available weapons displayed also)

28sittinginsu274ww.th.jpg

Sitting in Su-27 Flanker

29su27skcobra7mb.th.jpg

Su-27SK Performing Cobra manuever.

30su27sk46sn.th.jpg

Su-27SK (Perhaps my favorite picture)

31mirage2000d27uw.th.jpg

Mirage 2000D

31su30mk164gn.th.jpg

Su-30MK (the star of the show along with MIG-29OVT this was the best performance)

32su30mk105mp.th.jpg

Su-30MK (again the clouds made things a bit tough)

33su30mk144xz.th.jpg

Su-30MK (begining a double colbit at approx 2000m)

34su30mk252qm.th.jpg

Su-30MK Landing (They were off angle until the wheels touched down!)

Su-30MK Performance Video----> http://rapidshare.de/files/5370018/Su-30MK_Demo_-_MAKS_2005.avi.html

is this ok?

Flying in a MIG-29UB

35rightpanel3powerup5wv.th.jpg

Powering up.

36taxingmaksview24tq.th.jpg

A view of MAKS from the main performance runway. (the corner area of the brick building was the Sukhoi VIP area)

37airbornel3930nt.th.jpg

Formation with L-39.

38airbornel3998pb.th.jpg

Smile :)

39airborneclouds42jv.th.jpg

Nice view from above.

40airbornemach122cp.th.jpg

How fast have you gone?

41airbornegmeter555au.th.jpg

This was a sustained 5.5 g's through a full loop manuever, approx 20secs. (a bit uncomfortable for the last 5 secs or so, but I probably could have handled about 7 g's for 10 secs. After that I'm sure I would have begun to grey out. Without training i think one has a tendency to relax as the g's increase instead of flexing, but the G suit helps alot)

42airborneclouds74gp.th.jpg

A beautiful shot descending through the clouds (the UV protectant on the canopy created a nice effect with my lense. This is not PS'd)

is this ok?

Moscow

43roomwithaview20nz.th.jpg

Looking at the Kremlin from my room in Moscow.

44katiaand1atfountains17lb.th.jpg

This was a girl that I met in Moscow who showed me some very beautiful sites! (This is at the VDNH)

45kremlinchurch15yi.th.jpg

One of the churches at the Kremlin (Cathedral Square)

46kremlinredsquare20qd.th.jpg

Red Square

47streetsofmoscow7ou.th.jpg

Streets of downtown Moscow (soooo many people)

St. Petersburg

48canalsofstppanoramic6wh.th.jpg

Panoramic of St. Petersburg.

49roomwithaview0kc.th.jpg

View of St. Petersburg from my hotel room.

50churchfromacrossthebay23ui.th.jpg

Sundown. (again taken from my room)

51churchoutsidepeterhoff5ki.th.jpg

Amazing architecture

52peterhoffmainhouse35md.th.jpg

The main house at Peterhoff Palace (one of the coolest places I went to)

53peterhofffountain125yg.th.jpg

One of the 100's of fountains at Peterhoff (All are gravity fed from a reservoir above the grounds)

54horseman13up.th.jpg

Horseman on the bridge which stood through the shelling of WW2. (you can see where some shrapnel chipped one of the corner pieces)

55nevskiyprospekt58bp.th.jpg

A nice shot of Nevskiy Prospekt (downtown St.P)

It was an amazing trip! There was too much to describe, but the things that stuck out the most were:

1. The shear number of people in both cities.

2. The city driving is very crazy.

3. There were very few overweight people.

4. Women out number men something like 2:1 (and many of them are absolutely stunning! They also mostly were high-heels and walk alot)

Feel free to ask any questions.

is this ok?

Yeah, it would be a dream come true for me to fly in a MiG-29 too. Damn, you're the man of the day.

But enough of that plane talk. That friendly Russian guide? She sure looks friendly...

I want to go to MAKS too. But Pregnant Girlfriend says "NO! You just play with your computerbuddies in the bedroom on that Planelobby or whatever. No Russian guides for you, flyboy". And here am I - In Denmark - and NOT in Russia ;)

Haaaa, Internet.

You post 30 pics of your trip in Russia and plane testing and all, and 1 pic with a chick in it.

The latest gets discussed in 90% of the thread ;)

Nice trip, we definitely need more Fulcrum information

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Wow, awesome trip man and pictures.

I just came back from a Sunday show @ Oceana in VA where the blue angels had a really awesome airshow (damn those afterburner sounds give me goosebumps, ahh awesome)

They also had the LAST EVER tactical display of the F14 Tomcat's.

Anyway, awesome trip and pictures man, they kick ass. I'll see if I can post some of mine soon as well as vids I took with DV cam in here soon.

-neodark.

sig-YF19a.jpg

Really nice pics :).

41airbornegmeter555au.th.jpg

This was a sustained 5.5 g's through a full loop manuever, approx 20secs. (a bit uncomfortable for the last 5 secs or so, but I probably could have handled about 7 g's for 10 secs. After that I'm sure I would have begun to grey out. Without training i think one has a tendency to relax as the g's increase instead of flexing, but the G suit helps alot)

Isn't the left scale showing 5.5 the AoA indicator and the right scale showing 1.5 the G-meter?

Isn't the left scale showing 5.5 the AoA indicator and the right scale showing 1.5 the G-meter?

You're right, but have missed something ;)

The alpha indicator is showing about five degrees, but that'll be normal flying alpha.

The little needle on the G-meter is pegged at the highest G recorded since accelerometer reset (usually during preflight checks), and I think that's what locsta is talking about.

I've pulled about that much coming out of a loop in a glider, without the benefit of a g-suit . . . . and started to grey out. Luckily there was an instructor doing the flying . . . . nutter, that one :p

Of course, I have no hope of attempting to reach a speed of Mach 1.2 . . . . grin.

locsta rocstas my socstas. Long time.

Are we going to get a full debrief on your MiG flight, or is the full story so mind-blowing that it can only really be described as "really, really cool"? :p

The ladder ;) I think it would be easier to answer a specific question than try and explain the experience in a un-just summary.

The things that stood out were:

1. Physical movement in the jet was very limited. (I'm not sure if all pilots are strapped in as tight as I was, but I did not have the ability to move like we have seen in some of those videos like archer123, or Eagle rage. I was not able to see the chase plane until he was at my 3o'clock.

2. Eagle did a very good job modeling the cockpits!

3. Going afterburner's is one of the coolest feelings in the world!

4. Supersonic flight is fairly uneventful as it is in Lockon. I did notice a sense of silence like in the game, but it was not that pronounced. (Hopefully the dash-cam caught a vapor cloud form as we broke the sound barrier.)

5. I have a pretty strong stomach when it comes to physical forces, but it definately didn't like the 1st aleron roll. I hadn't eaten much, so after puking up a little water, and taking a 30sec breather I was fine for the rest of the flight. Something I would be able to get used to, but would take a bit. Also aside from manuevers, even when just flying you are constantly moving between -.1 or -.2 g's up to +.2 or +.3 g's s. This also creates a bit of a butterfly sensation.

6. The G-suit is nice to were and is extremly helpful. It has airtubes running through it, and is conected to the plane by a pneumatic fitting. As the plane pulls g's the suit automatically fills with air, and squeezes your lower body to help keep your blood in your upper body. The speed and pressure of which the suit fills is dependent to the amount of g's and how fast they are pulled.

(ex: With a slow loop that gradually increase the g's, the suit will slow fill accordingly. With a fast pitch or bank that would generate a quick spike of g's, the suit would fill very quickly to match the AC's maneuvers.)

suitfitting17lc.th.jpg

7. G's do not feel that good once you pass about 3.5. I'm sure with training it becomes very managable, but I don't think you would ever say "I like pulling 7+ g's.

8. I have flown in many commercial jetliners, but even just looking out over landscape seemed different.

41airborneclouds29mr.th.jpg

What variant of MiG-29? Is that an MFD just visible in the upper right?

-SK

mig29ub28hq.th.jpg mig29ub37px.th.jpg inflight59gy.th.jpg

MIG-29 UB Which is a 2 seat trainer. I was in the back seat, which unfortunately did not have and working MFD or a HUD :(

021oclockview26qr.th.jpg

The piece of equipment in the upper right was some sort of old navigation device, but it did not work. You can also see the camera mount.

I`m sure that this flight package included a video...

Yes, but it will be some time before I recv it.

MAKS - a lot of bad beer, is a lot of toilets, a lot of the dust, drunk announcers, there are not enough flights.

I didn't go for the beer so this was not a problem for me, and that also helped me to avoid dealing with your second issue ;) The anouncers were funny, and everyone was laughing at the english interpreter cause he sucked. lol. (his best line is at the end of the MIG-29OVT flight on friday, "The flight demonstration for MIG-29OVT has been concluded, I would like to ask him to congratulate the crowd!")

As for enough flights the performance started at 11:30am and ended after 4pm each day. To me this seemed like alot, but I have not been to many airshows, and never to one in Russia, so I am not a good judge.

I enjoyed myself greatly and to see the planes from Lockon IRL was very cool.

Brit is correct. The left gauge is the alpha and the right is the G meter. I found it difficult to take pictures during maneuvers, as the camera (and my arm) started to get a bit heavy, so this pic was taken later on, but the small needle shows the max g limit reached for the flight, and the large is the current load. Both were at 1 when we took off.

10leftpanel44mm.th.jpg

A few more pics...

pilotmeeting15pm.th.jpg

Sergay (sp?) Test pilot of the Russian Federation. Nice guy, and he spoke some english.

preflight16pj.th.jpg

Getting seated.

inflight47dn.th.jpg

In flight.

postflight17lr.th.jpg postflight22tc.th.jpg

Post flight

is this ok?