2013 Virtual Hawgsmoke

Snoopy

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on date and time, I can help stream.

http://www.livestream.com/veaotyphoon

If you can set up some static objects around the airfield etc so switching camera's is easy, that would be good.

Not troops though as they seem to massivley decrease fps for me.

The same at the range also.

Outstanding...talking to Tyger about this very topic now :D

Well, that's my part of the SOP done. And now my head hurts (too much maths) so I'm off to bed, and will leave Paul to do all the rest of the hard work. :sleep:

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

@ paulrkiii: Yesterday I noticed massive lacking and warping after using smoke rockets.

Please check the performance of the server using smoke.

If this is a problem you need to remove the training weapons.

got a question concearning SOPs..... when they are finalized - do you do a Q and A for the Squadrons which - lets say - fly "less reallife orientated" than the 1st VFW ?

Background is - we do not have the Military knowledge and may have some Questions on SOPs.

Dont get me wrong ... we certainly train to get all the SOPs right, but there might be some things we (as "sparetimepilots") do not fully understand. :music_whistling:

greez

Schnarre

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

;1376210']got a question concearning SOPs..... when they are finalized - do you do a Q and A for the Squadrons which - lets say - fly "less reallife orientated" than the 1st VFW ?

Background is - we do not have the Military knowledge and may have some Questions on SOPs.

Dont get me wrong ... we certainly train to get all the SOPs right, but there might be some things we (as "sparetimepilots") do not fully understand. :music_whistling:

greez

Schnarre

I've provided explanations of the weapon delivery methods and some key terms etc in the parts of the SOP I've written for Paul to include. The rest of the SOP is simple to follow and anything unusual is explained.

But that said, if there is anything in the SOP that anyone from any Sqn needs explaining a bit more, I or others will be happy to help out.

The way I view this event is not just a good bit of competition but also a reason for people to learn stuff that they may not have done otherwise, and also a chance for sqns to share and pass on knowledge to others.

Although, the scoring system has been developed so that even if you find some things too difficult and all you can manage is to "put the thing on the thing" and press the pickle buttonm as long as you can hit the target you'll still be able to take part and earn some points for you sqn. Of course, if you can master everything, you'll earn even more points.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Question: Will a player (or even the whole Sqn) get disqualified if e.g. a angle of attack is not correct?

I mean... will I get disqualified if my dive-angle for the gun run is -45° instead of -20°?

Question: Will a player (or even the whole Sqn) get disqualified if e.g. a angle of attack is not correct?

I mean... will I get disqualified if my dive-angle for the gun run is -45° instead of -20°?

No. You just won't score as many points. There will be multiple scoring criteria for each attack type, if you fail in one area you can still get points in other areas.

• Like 1

Spoiler

I've provided explanations of the weapon delivery methods and some key terms etc in the parts of the SOP I've written for Paul to include. The rest of the SOP is simple to follow and anything unusual is explained.

But that said, if there is anything in the SOP that anyone from any Sqn needs explaining a bit more, I or others will be happy to help out.

The way I view this event is not just a good bit of competition but also a reason for people to learn stuff that they may not have done otherwise, and also a chance for sqns to share and pass on knowledge to others.

Although, the scoring system has been developed so that even if you find some things too difficult and all you can manage is to "put the thing on the thing" and press the pickle buttonm as long as you can hit the target you'll still be able to take part and earn some points for you sqn. Of course, if you can master everything, you'll earn even more points.

hmmmmm........i hope i haven't got the wrong end of the stick here with regards to the SOP's. I am Military of 24 yrs service and I know you are too eddie and i`m fairly confident that so is Paul, so we should know EXACTLY (and more than most) what SOP's actually are, but to be frank i dont want to adopt any other vfs's SOP's. What and how i do business in the 74th, to be frank is no-one's business except members of the 74th. Not every vfs is like that, fairplay, but, we are.

Now, if we are talking about SOI's and not SOP's, then ok. these are essentially JUST the rules and methods of adoption to comply with the rules, in which case if this competition is what i think it is (having had a fairly in depth convo with paul the other night on TS, i'm confident i know exactly) the SOI's should be no longer than a few pages.

Slightly concerned. Lets not get bogged down in red tape at this stage.

friendly advice, take it or leave it.

'T'

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

Yeah SOIs would be the more accurate term from a UK forces POV.

How you guys fly and run your flights is up to you, as long as the general rules related to safety and smooth running of the event are adheared to. There may be the odd thing you need to do differently like radio calls etc, but that will only be for the above reasons.

Most of the "SOP" is actually taken up with my crap laying out exactly what each event is, how it's scored and how to perform it and then the brief how to guide at the end covering a few things not seen in the sim manuals.

The events themselves are briefly outlined on the Hawgsmoke page over on the 1st website, so you can start reading up on them/training already.

P.S.

What's that you said about semantics Tyger. :megalol::thumbup:

Spoiler

@ paulrkiii: Yesterday I noticed massive lacking and warping after using smoke rockets.

Please check the performance of the server using smoke.

If this is a problem you need to remove the training weapons.

We flew with training munitions yesterday and had no lag/warping due to smoke....we did however notice that when dropping BDUs what one pilot saw (direct hit) another saw the smoke 3 to 5 meters away (working both in favor and negatively for the pilot dropping munitions).

Not a big enough margin of error for me to change using training weapons yet but we (the 25th) are going to validate everything prior to releasing anything. This isn't to get "one up" on the competition but we want it to be professional and without issues when the competition occurs.

A work around, if it becomes an obvious issue is each target will be “immortal” so dropping live MK82s, firing live rockets won’t destroy the target and the judges can score of the crater/hit location. Bug again, I’m not going to abandon training munitions yet.

My original intent was vHawgsmoke occur in March but I'm looking now at April or May, reason being is items just like this. I still plan on having the SOP completed if not by tomorrow then Monday/Tuesday next week with the mission released soon after.

By having the competition in April or May that also gives vSquadrons that are going to participate plenty of time to get use to the SOP requirements, fly their internal competitions (if they so choose) to select their 4 participating members and get use to the mission.

;1376210']got a question concearning SOPs..... when they are finalized - do you do a Q and A for the Squadrons which - lets say - fly "less reallife orientated" than the 1st VFW ?

Dont get me wrong ... we certainly train to get all the SOPs right, but there might be some things we (as "sparetimepilots") do not fully understand.

greez

Schnarre

Yes sir, I plan on trying to get participating vSquadron COs (or a representative that can speak on the organizations behalf) together a week or two after the SOP is released to discuss these very topics.

The SOP is very simple and “cut and dry” for this very reason. The only items that may cause confusion is the required weapons delivery and escape maneuvers but descriptions of those will be in the SOP and waiting until April or May to conduct the competition will give vSquadrons time to learn.

hmmmmm........i hope i haven't got the wrong end of the stick here with regards to the SOP's. I am Military of 24 yrs service and I know you are too eddie and i`m fairly confident that so is Paul, so we should know EXACTLY (and more than most) what SOP's actually are, but to be frank i dont want to adopt any other vfs's SOP's. What and how i do business in the 74th, to be frank is no-one's business except members of the 74th. Not every vfs is like that, fairplay, but, we are.

Now, if we are talking about SOI's and not SOP's, then ok. these are essentially JUST the rules and methods of adoption to comply with the rules, in which case if this competition is what i think it is (having had a fairly in depth convo with paul the other night on TS, i'm confident i know exactly) the SOI's should be no longer than a few pages.

Slightly concerned. Lets not get bogged down in red tape at this stage.

friendly advice, take it or leave it.

'T'

You’re correct Tiger…I’ve got over 16 years of USAF experience in multiple different ways (Active Duty, Civil Service, Reserves). In the USAF we don't use SOPs, we primarily use Operating Instructions...whatever you want to call them, SOP, SOIs, OIs, Regs....the vHawgsmoke SOPs are the rules for the competition.

I'm trying to keep it as general as possible but some structure is needed. Flight management, I don't care how each squadron manages their flight in the air, of course it's going to be slightly different.

The SOP is 27 pages long (and close to being finalized) and breaks down like this

Page 1, Cover

Page 2, Table of Contents

Page 3 & 4, General Rules

Page 5, Airfield Layout

Page 6, Ground Operations

Page 7, After Takeoff, Approach/Landing

Page 8 & 9, Range Ops

Page 10 thru 16, Weapons Deliver Guidance (Scored Events)

Page 17 & 18, Safe Escape Maneuvers (SEM) (Scored Events)

Page 19, Theater Map

Page 20, Participating Squadrons, Radio Presets, Schedule

Page 21, Judging

Page 22, Attachment 1, Teamspeak Rules

Page 23 thru 25, Scoring Examples

Page 26 & 27, Z-Diagram Kneeboards

Is this to big, maybe, is it needed to have a fair, transparent, and smooth competition, definitely! Here are a few screen shots...remember this is a WIP...

Slide1.png

Slide2.png

Slide5.png

Slide6.png

Slide9.png

Slide10.png

Slide16.png

Hawgsmoke Ribbon :D

hagwsmoke_2012_ribbon.png

:pilotfly:

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

Hey guys, sorry we're a little late to the party, but the S77th would very much like to participate.

Here is our Squadron patch...

2c36ee7e.jpg

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That looks awesome so far, I can see a lot of thought and planning has be put into this. :thumbup:

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

That looks awesome so far, I can see a lot of thought and planning has be put into this. :thumbup:

It's rather awesome to see this many people/groups showing interest in an event that's been designed to be as realistic as possible. If I'm honest I was expecting this to be too deep for many. Colour me pleaseantly suprised.

Hopefully this event will give other Sqns out there a prompt to do something similar, and maybe one day the DCS vSqns will interact with each other as much as many of the the Falcon vSqns do.

(It's also nice to see that the headache I ended up with after working out the profiles & scoring and all Paul's efforts writing the rest of the SOP and the mission has been for good reason. :D)

Spoiler

Hawgsmoke Ribbon :D

hagwsmoke_2012_ribbon.png

:pilotfly:

Thank you sir!!!

Hey guys, sorry we're a little late to the party, but the S77th would very much like to participate.

Here is our Squadron patch...

2c36ee7e.jpg

Welcome to the circus :D

It's rather awesome to see this many people/groups showing interest in an event that's been designed to be as realistic as possible. If I'm honest I was expecting this to be too deep for many. Colour me pleaseantly suprised.

Hopefully this event will give other Sqns out there a prompt to do something similar, and maybe one day the DCS vSqns will interact with each other as much as many of the the Falcon vSqns do.

I agree on both points....participation and interest has exceded my expectations and I really hope this brings the DCS community closer and more coordinated (not just some open servers) activity.

----------------

Now lets talk ACFT skins.....I know the 9th said above thier skin is included in the sim already, what about other vSquads? Although it isn't a "must" I really think it would be great (especially for fraps footage and pictures) if each participating vSquadron's ACFT skin was included. I'm not saying for each pilot but one standard skin for each vSquadron.

I just think it would be damn cool to have all those partipating flying in a skin for their vSquad. Since I've started working on the mission I'd like to be able to include a skin package with the release of the mission if not very soon after. If interested please PM me and I'll reply with my email address so you can send me a copy of the skin you want included.

Here is anexamples from the 25th, although we have individual skins for each pilot with 50 MP Flight Hours we have a few standard skins as well.

Here are examples of a few of our skins...I'm going to let the the members of

25th Official Paint Scheme

Screen_110927_102549.jpg

Screen_110927_102557.jpg

Edited by Snoopy

In the 74th, full members have their own skins.

However, we are changing our Skins system so that our candidates and members of the community have a standard European skin, whilst members of the 74th adopt a customised and personalised European skin rather than the 'blurb' grey one.

This is currently an ongoing project and is not expected to be implemented until our current 3 candidates are fully winged. 2-3 weeks max for all, to complete what is left for each of the flight school.

In short, we have skins, personalised and they are currently under review. We don't have a standard 74th skin, although this too is currently under review.

With this in mind, we would be happy (for now at least) to adopt a standard Hawgsmoke skin that was not personalised, but definitely unique to each vfs. If your in the same vfs, 'one skin fits all' is a great option for now. This also allows each VFS the opportunity to extend as much as they wish 'to the right', before going firm on individual pilots that will be representative in the competition.

'T'

PS: What airfield is that? i like the taxilines.

Edited by Tyger

Come pay us a visit on YouTube - search for HELI SHED

Main Banner.PNG

.......I'm not saying for each pilot but one standard skin for each vSquadron........

Booooo, the world needs to see my nose art. :D

Besides, it might distract them just long enough so they lawn dart. :smilewink:

Spoiler