Radeon HD 7970 Inbound

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good to hear... Which drivers version?

Driver is off the CD that came with the card

Driver Packaging Version: 8.921-111202a-129903E-ATI

2D Driver Version: 8.01.01.1215

Direct3D Version: 7.14.10.0885

I still can't get this to work... every time I try A-10 or BS2 the game freezes up within seconds, I've tired down-clocking the card and still not good... the game will freeze up, get back to desktop.. then few second later game will reload but will crash again... I think my card is not good :cry:

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

It's a new card and might take a new driver to fix it. If that's the case hopefully they get it fixed quickly.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Thanks Mustang.. I'll give them a try now

EDIT... the 12.1a Beta I tried already, it does not give option to install driver, only Catalyst, audio driver and that's it

I am so pi**ed off about this, I think I will return this card

EDIT: none of them work... does not give an option to install video card driver at all

Edited by Kuky

Lmao, Kuky you bought it the 1st day it came out, what did you expect? My TIR doesn't work with BS2, I'm not mad, just gonna wait cause I don't want to reinstall or maybe someone else knows whats going on.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Hey Mustang... you know when I first installed the card and got into CCC Performance TAB, the clock on the GPU was showing as 600MHz not 925MHz. I remember clicking on defaults and Apply and that brought the slider to 925MHz. I am wondering if somehow the reading of the GPU clock was wrong initially and by me clicking on Defaults it actually overclocked the GPU.... does this make sense?

Anyway... even if this was the case it means the cards BIOS was messed up as really the card should run flawlessly on default clocks as every review states cards overclock easy to 1125Mhz every time... I can't see that it's my PSU either as it's Corsair HX850W unit, not some crappy one... I am really clueless now

One more thing I tried... I downclocked the GPU to 550MHz and vRAM to 500MHz... set fan to manual 50% (man this thing is noisy... really need that water cooling again on the card)... got into A-10C few minutes watching GPU-Z on touchscreen... temps was not high... all working for about 3-4min then again... crash to desktop... game tried to reload... textures were incomplete, some black... then complete freeze with quite loud buzzing sound (like when sound locks up into infinite loop) then for a split second I saw artifacts in form of square dots all over the screen then BSOD.

Even 1/2 the default frequency on GPU/vRAM this thing still crashes... has to be hardware failure?

Try this one, it mentions its for:

"(Win 7 x64) [HD7000/HD6000/HD5000]"

AMD Catalyst 11.12 (8.921.2 December 20)

failing all this, i'm not sure what the heck is going on :(

edit: just a shot in the dark - but in your motherbnoard BIOS can you check to see what your PCIe speed is set to? if it's on auto, lock it to 100mhz.

Also, this might sound like a silly question, but do you have the nessesary power connectors hooked up to the card? i believe theres 2 of them now.

Edited by Mustang

I'd also try re-seating the card. That is easy to get wrong!

Sorry to hear of your problems, we were all expecting this thing to really fly. :(

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Thanks all for helping out, I've tried all of the above (except that "(Win 7 x64) [HD7000/HD6000/HD5000]" driver) but I need to go to work now and I've decided to RMA the card.

I've reduced my CPU overclock to 3.8GHz which is way bellow I've had it running since I bought it... I've even downclocked the video card 1/2 way... the PCI-E was always set to 100MHz always and not on auto and still this card will not work stable.

PS: The card is running quite hot also... on stock fan speed it idled about 64°C with room temp abput 27°C and when onload it reached 84°C easy withing 2min so maybe the card is overheating, I don't know...

I've connected both 8-pin and 6-pin PCI-E power connector and as I said my PSU is Corsair HX850W so should be enough juice for it, and AMD recommends 600W as min.

I'll return the card and hopefuly get a new one, if I do I'll again later tonight when I get back from work... fingers crossed.

Edited by Kuky

Nothing wrong with that power supply those Corsairs provide plenty of amps

Does the fan spin up? Do you see it physically spin?

Frankly I'm a little concerned for myself as well, been on Nvidia for years and not ever have I needed to use driver sweeper. I use Nvidia beta drivers etc and everything has always worked flawlessly. I can even alt tab in and out of any game.

But if AMD can't even manage an uninstalled or a driver updated installer that is a worry..

I wonder when the GTX 680 is due out

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Damn kuky sorry to hear that. :(

It sucks for early adopters, they always get to be unwilling beta testers. Every since I got Scammed with a Power VR card back in the day (must be getting old that was 15 years ago I think) I always wait a few months after launch before getting one myself.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

i'm in front of the shop now, waiting for the guys to test the card themselves. The fan on the card is working fine...man you should hear this sucker at 100% speed. Sounds like a race car, no joke.

I tried quckly this morning CPU at default speed and it stil crashes.

I haven't tried any other games as I don't play anything other than FC2, A-10C and BS2.

I'm at awork right now so I can't try anything till later this evening... the guys at the shop tested it out... they used 750W PSU so mine should be fine... they run 3D mark benchmark and it was working fine, the card does get hot but I think that's normal... just gonna need water cooling and it'll be good.

The guys at shop did not use driver on the CD and they used some new one from AMD website, they said it was some BETA (forgot driver version) and specific for Windows 7 64bit for HD7XXX cards so I'll give them a whack tonight.