New Warthog? Here's the TARGET tutorial I wish I'd had.

I bought a Warthog in late September and it took me about a full week to get my TARGET profile up and running, as it took me some time to learn how to translate my "thinking in Foxy" into TARGET syntax. Since then, though, DCS was crashing on me every single time I ran it, anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes into a flight. I suspected it was due to my Warthog not being set up correctly and "flooding" DCS with keypresses, but it was only yesterday that I finally got it all worked out and the problem solved.

I figured it might be worthwhile to compile a bunch of the useful info that I've come across in learning about TARGET; if I'd had all this info in one place when I started, I could have saved an immense amount of time. While the official TARGET documentation is useful, I found that it inexplicably left out information that, for my uses at least, was absolutely critical to setting up a profile. If you plan on customizing your HOTAS layout for DCS using TARGET, I would highly recommend that you read its documentation first. After that, but before wasting hours trying to straighten out your confusion, come back here and re-read the info below. I should note that pretty much ALL of the info below comes from other people on this and the SimHQ TARGET Programming forum, people like ivanwfr, PeterP, etc. All I've done is gather it all together in one place.

Note that in the following, when I talk about using TARGET, I'm talking about using the Script Editor, not the GUI. Although the GUI is probably 'easier', the Script Editor makes it much easier to utilize the incredible flexibility and power of TARGET.

So here goes:

First and foremost, there seems to be a lot of confusion (myself included, at first) about the different usage options for the Warthog within DCS. They are as allows, in increasing order of complexity:

1. Pure plug-and-play, i.e. pure DirectX mode. The result of an impressive collaboration between Thrustmaster and ED, you can simply plug in the Warthog, completely forget about anything to do with TARGET, and when you start up DCS, "everything just works". All of the buttons and axes on both the joystick and throttle will automatically be assigned to their correct functions in-game. So if you want your Warthog to faithfully mimic the real A-10C HOTAS and not do anything else, this is the option for you.

Although convenient, this method also has a lot of limitations. For example, although in DCS you can assign a joystick button to act as a 'shifted' state, this will only give you access to a second 'layer' of commands, whereas TARGET lets you essentially create six layers (unshifted and shifted, for U(p), D(own), and M(iddle) states of a 3-position switch of your choosing). Those additional layers (beyond 2) will NOT be available to use if you use option #1, however, because DCS does not by default recognize them. Also, you won't be able to make use of more complicated key assignments that involve things like pauses and repeat functions. So, while these limitations are probably OK for a lot of people, they're worth pointing out in order to draw a contrast with the other methods of using the Warthog in DCS.

Before going any further, it is important to understand the limitations of using a controller in pure DirectX mode. When DirectX sees a controller that you've plugged in, it will recognize a maximum of 32 buttons and 8 axes on that controller. These can be 'directly' used in-game and are often automatically set to perform certain default functions, e.g. Button1 = DX1 = fire guns. You can also manually assign them in-game in the controller properties page, e.g. click on "Fire guns" and then press Button1 on your controller.

But what happens if you have more than 32 buttons or 8 axes on a single controller? In that case, those 'extra' buttons/axes are not assigned DirectX names, and so from DirectX's perspective, they're not even there. However, you CAN pass keyboard assignments through those buttons/axes, provided you have some programming utility outside of the game (TARGET, Foxy, etc.) that can handle that. So, let's say you have a 33rd button on your joystick. By default, pressing this button in-game will do nothing, because DirectX doesn't see anything beyond 32 buttons. But if you've programmed that button from outside the game to represent, for example, 'G' for landing gear, now when you press that button in-game, the game simply sees 'G' and doesn't care where it came from.

So given all of the above, how does DCS manage this automatic assignment of HOTAS functions on your Warthog? DCS sees your Warthog as two separate devices -- joystick and throttle -- each with up to 32 buttons and 8 axes available. For every device that DCS detects, it creates a separate lua file in C:\Users\[name]\Saved Games\DCS Warthog\Config\Input\A-10C\joystick\, which lists every possible function available within the game, and it is these lua files that change when you manually assign a controller button or axis to a specific command via the in-game controller options. Specific to the Warthog, because DCS 'knows' that your Warthog button is supposed to correspond to a specific function, it automatically assigns the button to do that in the lua file.

Here's an example:

In the Joystick.lua file, if you were using a stick other than the Warthog, you'd see this entry:

[158] = 
       {
           ["up"] = 351,
           ["name"] = "Weapon release",
           ["category"] = "HOTAS",
           ["down"] = 350,
       }, -- end of [158]

Nevermind the actual numbers (158, 350, 351); what this is showing you is that DCS has a command available called "Weapon release", but that no button on this controller has currently been assigned to it.

If you have a Warthog plugged in, though, you'll see this in your Joystick - HOTAS Warthog.lua file:

[158] = 
       {
           ["combos"] = 
           {
               [1] = 
               {
                   ["key"] = "JOY_BTN2",
               }, -- end of [1]
           }, -- end of ["combos"]
           ["up"] = 351,
           ["name"] = "Weapon release",
           ["category"] = "HOTAS",
           ["down"] = 350,
       }, -- end of [158]

And this is now showing you that Button2 on the joystick (=DX2) has been automatically bound to the "Weapon release" function; DCS already knows that DX2 on a Warthog joystick is supposed to activate the "Weapon release" function. DCS follows this logic for all the other assignments on the Warthog, and that's how it "just works" when you plug it in for the first time: it will automatically assign the 19 buttons (+POV hat+2 axes) on the joystick and 32 buttons (+POV hat+axes) on the throttle to their appropriate commands within DCS.

2. Plug-and-play with some in-game assignment changes. This one is almost identical to #1 except that now instead of just using all the default controller assignments that DCS has set for your Warthog, you then go into the controller options screen and manually change some of the assignments. You still don't need TARGET or need to muck around with lua files, but again you're going to be limited to only using unshifted button states on your Warthog.

3. Using either joystick or throttle as plug-and-play device, with the other programmed via TARGET. Although I can't readily think of why you'd want to do this, it is possible. This would allow you to have one controller operating as a pure DirectX device (i.e. no shifted states available, and with the 32/8 limitation) with the other being controlled through TARGET and acting as a pure keyboard-emulation device or hybrid DirectX/keyboard-emulation device. In this case, you need to EXCLUDE the 'DirectX-only' controller from your TARGET profile with a line like:

Configure(&Throttle,MODE_EXCLUDED);

Note that this is also how you exclude your Thrustmaster MFDs, if you have them and want to assign them in-game rather than thru TARGET. In that case you'd use:

Configure(&LMFD,MODE_EXCLUDED);
Configure(&RMFD,MODE_EXCLUDED);

4. Using both devices through TARGET. This is by far the most flexible and powerful option, and was the way I wanted to go because I knew that even though I wanted the majority of my Warthog's buttons and axes to be assigned realistically, I wanted to customize some of the buttons on both the joystick and throttle beyond what could be done via the in-game controller options.

If you go this route, you're going to have to work on the lua file itself in addition to your TARGET profile. When you set up and run your TARGET profile, DCS is now going to see your Warthog as a 'virtual' controller called "Thrustmaster Combined". Apparently this creates some problems because, while DCS still tries to automatically assign functions to your HOTAS in-game, this can conflict with what you're telling TARGET to do. The result is that you need to make sure your TARGET profile and Thrustmaster Combined.lua files are coordinated (more on that below).

Here's a very important point (first made by ivanwfr): for some reason, if you try to assign actual keypresses to the buttons on your throttle via TARGET (as opposed to simply letting them act as DirectX buttons that can be bound in-game), DCS often has trouble interpreting them correctly and may unintentionally hold them down, so to speak, such that DCS ends up getting 'flooded' by excess keypresses that will eventually crash it. Frustratingly, these 'excess' keypresses are invisible to any keypress analyzers (like TARGET's Event Analyzer) so you won't necessarily know that this is what is crashing your game.

The solution, then, is to try to keep as many of the throttle's buttons and axes operating as DirectX buttons/axes as possible. Thus you must present these buttons as DX buttons to DCS. You can do this in TARGET by simply 'declaring' the correspondence between physical button and DX number, like the following:

MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPU,DX22);
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPD,DX23);

And for any buttons or axes on the throttle that you want to assign a more complicated function, you can do that without messing up the other buttons being simple DX buttons. Here's an example that toggles a 'zoom CDU' function on the Mic Switch Down [shifted] button, with the unshifted simply appearing to DCS as DX5, which can then be assigned a function in-game (or via the lua file, which is the same thing):

MapKeyIO(&Throttle,MSD,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_CDU),Toggle_zoom),DX5);

But, as I said, you'll want to minimize the use of assignments like the above on the throttle; if at all possible, you should use as many of the allowed 32 DirectX buttons and 8 axes on the throttle and then assign them in-game (i.e. via the lua file). Note that when explicitly passing DX buttons to DCS via TARGET, you now can use shifted states on these buttons, because you're defining the shifted assignment through TARGET (see above example).

At this point it probably makes sense to list the correspondence of DirectX button name with physical button name (inexplicably, this does not appear in the TARGET documentation anywhere!). Note, again, however, that these codes cannot be used together at the same time inside of TARGET, because you're only allowed a total of 32 buttons and 8 axes on your virtual "Combined" controller. The main use for the first list (the 19 DX buttons on the joystick) would be for option #3 above where you make use of the joystick from within TARGET (presumably using a combination of DirectX button assignments and keypress emulation commands) but allow the throttle to "just work" by EXCLUDing it from your TARGET profile and letting DCS see it as a pure DirectX controller.

The second list (the 32 DX buttons on the throttle), however, is useful for most people who would use option #4, combining both controllers in TARGET but keeping most throttle buttons as DX buttons. Note that, if you could somehow create a TARGET profile that included the joystick and throttle as separate DX controllers with all of the assignments below, you'd get the exact same result as option #1 where you simply plug the Warthog in and it "just works" -- because DCS would simply see two separate controllers that are pure DX devices, and it would recognize that it should assign specific DX buttons on each to specific functions in-game.

Joystick:

TG1 = DX1

TG2 = DX6

S1 = DX5

S2 = DX2

S3 = DX3

S4 = DX4

Trim Control

H1U = DXHATUP

H1D = DXHATDOWN

H1L = DXHATLEFT

H1R = DXHATRIGHT

TMS

H2U = DX7

H2D = DX9

H2L = DX10

H2R = DX8

DMS

H3U = DX11

H3D = DX13

H3L = DX14

H3R = DX12

CMS

H4U = DX15

H4D = DX17

H4L = DX18

H4R = DX16

H4P (Hat4 pressed down) = DX19

Throttle:

Slew Control

SC (slew control button pressed in) = DX1

Mic Switch

MSP (mic switch button pressed in) = DX2

MSU = DX3

MSR = DX4

MSD = DX5

MSL = DX6

Speedbrake Switch

SPDF = DX7

SPDB = DX8

Boat Switch

BSF = DX9

BSB = DX10

China Hat

CHF = DX11

CHB = DX12

Pinky Switch

PSF = DX13

PSB = DX14

Left Throttle Button

LTB = DX15

Engine Fuel Flow Norm/Override Switches

EFLNORM = DX16

EFRNORM = DX17

Engine Oper Motor/Norm Switches

EOLMOTOR = DX18

EORMOTOR = Dx19

APU Start/Off Switch

APUON = DX20

Landing Gear Warning Silence

LDGH = DX21

Flaps

FLAPU = DX22

FLAPD = DX23

EAC On/Off

EACON = DX24

RDR/NORM

RDRNRM = DX25

LAAP Autopilot Switches

APENG = DX26

APPAT = DX27

APALT = DX28

Throttle Idle Detents

IDLERON = DX29

IDLELON = DX30

Engine Oper Ign/Norm

EOLIGN = DX31

EORIGN = DX32

Coolie Switch

CSU = DXHATUP

CSR = DXHATRIGHT

CSD = DXHATDOWN

CSL = DXHATLEFT

Continued below...

Edited by GregP
  • Like 2

I'll now post my current TARGET configuration; this uses keypress emulations on all of the joystick buttons (as opposed to DX assignments) but leaves most throttle buttons as DX buttons, allowing the latter to be assigned in-game:

include "target.tmh" //here we link this file to the file that contains the default Thrustmaster function code 
include "DCSA10Cv2.ttm"

int main() 
{ 

Configure(&LMFD,MODE_EXCLUDED); 
Configure(&RMFD,MODE_EXCLUDED);

if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1; // declare the event handler, return on error  

//script and function functions go here and before the } 

// shift button
SetShiftButton(&Joystick,S3);

// set pulse and delay lengths
SetKBRate(50,100);

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Joystick and Throttle Axis Definitions
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS); 
MapAxis(&Joystick, JOYY, DX_Y_AXIS); 
MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, DX_ZROT_AXIS); 
MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, DX_Z_AXIS); 

// Uncomment following two lines if you want Slew Control axes available in-game
MapAxis(&Throttle, SCX, DX_XROT_AXIS); 
MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS);  

// For now, don't do anything with the Slew Control pressed in
MapKey(&Throttle,SC,0);

// Assign zoom control to gray throttle friction lever
KeyAxis(&Throttle,THR_FC,0,AXMAP2(LIST(0,40,60,100),Zoom_in_slow,0,Zoom_out_slow));

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Joystick Button Definitions
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MapKey(&Joystick,TG1,Gun_trigger_first_stage);
MapKey(&Joystick,TG2,Gun_trigger);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,S1,Reset_trimmers,HOTAS_Master_Mode_Control_Button);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,S2,TIR_center,Weapon_release);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,S4,Eject,HOTAS_nosewheel_steering_button);

MapKey(&Joystick,H1U,Trim_nose_down);
MapKey(&Joystick,H1D,Trim_nose_up);
MapKey(&Joystick,H1L,Trim_aileron_left);
MapKey(&Joystick,H1R,Trim_aileron_right);

MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H2U,Aircraft_view,HOTAS_TMS_up);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H2D,Cockpit_view,HOTAS_TMS_down);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H2L,Flyby_view,HOTAS_TMS_left);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H2R,Chase_view,HOTAS_TMS_right);

MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H3U,Screenshot,HOTAS_DMS_up);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H3D,Quit,HOTAS_DMS_down);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H3L,Pause,HOTAS_DMS_left);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H3R,Active_pause,HOTAS_DMS_right);

MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H4U,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_fwd_left_console),Toggle_zoom),HOTAS_CMS_forward);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H4D,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_NMSP),Toggle_zoom),HOTAS_CMS_aft);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H4L,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_left_console),Toggle_zoom),HOTAS_CMS_left);
MapKeyIO(&Joystick,H4R,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_right_console),Toggle_zoom),HOTAS_CMS_right);

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Throttle Button Definitions
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

MapKeyIO(&Throttle,MSU,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_HUD),Toggle_zoom),VAC_comms);
MapKeyIO(&Throttle,MSD,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_CDU),Toggle_zoom),DX5);
MapKeyIO(&Throttle,MSL,TIR_enable,DX6);
MapKeyIO(&Throttle,MSR,SEQ(CHAIN(PULSE+Toggle_zoom,D(150),PULSE+Zoom_radios),Toggle_zoom),DX4);
MapKey(&Throttle,MSP,DX2);

MapKey(&Throttle,SPDB,DX8);
MapKey(&Throttle,SPDF,DX7);

MapKey(&Throttle,BSB,DX10);
MapKey(&Throttle,BSF,DX9);

MapKey(&Throttle,CHB,DX12);
MapKey(&Throttle,CHF,DX11);

MapKey(&Throttle,PSB,DX14);
MapKey(&Throttle,PSF,DX13);

MapKeyIO(&Throttle,LTB,Toggle_zoom,DX15);

MapKey(&Throttle,CSU,DXHATUP);
MapKey(&Throttle,CSD,DXHATDOWN);
MapKey(&Throttle,CSL,DXHATLEFT);
MapKey(&Throttle,CSR,DXHATRIGHT);

MapKey(&Throttle,EFLNORM,DX16);
MapKey(&Throttle,EFRNORM,DX17);
MapKey(&Throttle,EOLMOTOR,DX18);
MapKey(&Throttle,EORMOTOR,DX19);
MapKey(&Throttle,APUON,DX20);
MapKey(&Throttle,LDGH,DX21);
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPU,DX22);
MapKey(&Throttle,FLAPD,DX23);
MapKey(&Throttle,EACON,DX24);
MapKey(&Throttle,RDRNRM,DX25);
MapKey(&Throttle,APENG,DX26);
MapKey(&Throttle,APPAT,DX27);
MapKey(&Throttle,APALT,DX28);
MapKey(&Throttle,IDLELON,DX29);
MapKey(&Throttle,IDLERON,DX30);
MapKey(&Throttle,EOLIGN,DX31);
MapKey(&Throttle,EORIGN,DX32);

} 

int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x) 
{ 
DefaultMapping(&o, x); 
} 

The last remaining step is to ensure coordination between the TARGET profile and the "Thrustmaster Combined.lua" file that DCS will create when you first run DCS. The problem is the contradiction that you choose to use TARGET specifically because you want some functionality beyond the automatic assignments that DCS will make when it detects you have a Warthog ... but DCS doesn't know this, and so still automatically assigns all the commands in the lua file, which may now conflict with the assignments you've made in TARGET.

The way around this is to check that all of your DX button declarations in TARGET are being assigned to commands in the lua file, but that your other button assignments in TARGET do not appear in the lua file. This process can be simplified when you realize that the lua ONLY needs to have the actual commands that your joystick+throttle are directly (i.e. by using DX buttons/axes) calling. You can safely delete every unused function in the lua file (and there are hundreds of them), leaving you with the likely 10-32 functions that you DO directly call. This makes it easier to read and to ensure you only have the needed commands in there.

For the sake of completeness, I've attached my "Thrustmaster Combined.lua" file.

And with that, I'll wrap up this already way-too-long post. I'm not so sure this is as clear as I'd intended, but nonetheless I hope some new TARGET users find it useful. I know I sure would have!

Thrustmaster Combined {1D265880-E6BB-11e0-8002-444553540000}.lua

Edited by GregP

I cant find anywhere the DCSA10Cv2.ttm file that you are mentioning in your .tmc config file. Can you help me?

Tnx a lot for your explanations. Great for a noob like me.

S!

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/

That's the file where I define all my commands. I didn't attach it before because at least some of the commands I use are not DCS defaults -- I've redefined a few and defined a few that previously did not have key combos assigned yet. I've attached it here for your convenience, but note that you'll have to cross-check this list with what your particular install of DCS has for each command (in-game). The vast majority should be defaults though.

(Note that I've changed the file extension to txt so that the forum will let me upload it -- remember to change it back to ttm)

DCSA10Cv2.txt

Great job Greg, I support every bit of information and advice you've outlined here. TARGET has an opened potential as the limits are only drawn by how good you are at analyzing problems to be solved and how well you master this tool.

I also think that your approach may be less painful than mine as I got into every bit of grounding detail... exactly what has the best chance to keep people away from a hard journey ;)

As a side note about DX Input vs. keyboard shortcut bindings, there is something worth mentioning - as a fact that plays an obvious role in keeping things as simple as they should be:

• The joystick has only impulse switches, meaning, they have only one stable state, exactly like a keyboard
  • The throttle multi-stable-states switches would behave like a pressed key as soon as you don't let them play their natural DX Input ON-OFF reporting role.

A good thing to remember if you want to keep away from trouble, and more so when you switch focus to some other application answering to keyboard inputs :lol:

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that you can use the pinky paddle as a modifer and then double up on your assignments in Dx mode ie no TARGET. Is this not right?

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Thanks Sarge......I see we are neighbours:thumbup:.....

I have my Warthog but I must wait for Christmas to open the box....thats fair seeing as my wife, sons and grandsons kicked in money for it.

Merry Christmas

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

My understanding is that you can use the pinky paddle as a modifer and then double up on your assignments in Dx mode ie no TARGET. Is this not right?

That's news to me, Rocky49, but welcome news. Will go update my post now. Thanks for pointing it out.

That's news to me, Rocky49, but welcome news. Will go update my post now. Thanks for pointing it out.

You can actually make any switch, on any joystick/throttle, a modifier. Granted some are more useful that others but DCS will allow any almost any key or switch to be used as a modifier.

There people with a half dozen modifiers on a stick so that only one hat switch can do multiple functions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You can actually make any switch, on any joystick/throttle, a modifier. Granted some are more useful that others but DCS will allow any almost any key or switch to be used as a modifier.

There people with a half dozen modifiers on a stick so that only one hat switch can do multiple functions.

So it's possible to have say, 3 modifier buttons defined, giving you 3 independent shifted states? (As opposed to TARGET's I/O and U/M/D being dependent upon each other, i.e. 'Shift1 = I,U', 'Shift2 = I,M', 'Shift3 = I,D', etc.)

• 5 months later...

Wow, that's indeed a great tutorial and I wish it had been stickied so I would have found it before figuring most of it out myself. Great summary (and a thread resurrection well deserved) :thumbup:

I have a feeling that some of it is outdated now, and/or needs updates ... but TBH I'm just too lazy to go back and try to figure it out. :)

But I'm glad that it's still useful even in it's current state!

• 5 years later...