Strapping a Monitor to a Helmet for Immersion

I have to congratulate you on courage to show the world you are nuts but really this is how ideas are born! Reduce the weight, get the monitor screen curved so it can actually be attached to helmet like plastic sheet (they already have working screens like this) and it's a winner!

No longer active in DCS...

That might hurt your neck. Even with the bungee cord supporting the wieght the inertia of the monitor from turning your head could injure you.

I recommend an HMD (Head Mounted Display).

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200vr.html#specifications

75-inch virtual screen as viewed from ten feet (approximately 3 m)

16:9 widescreen aspect ratio

Twin high-resolution 852 x 480 LCD displays

Supports display resolutions of:

640 x 480 (VGA)

800 x 600 (SVGA)

1024 x 768 (XGA)

1280 x 720 (720p)

60Hz progressive scan update rate

35-degree diagonal field of view

24-bit true color (16 million colors)

Weighs approximately three ounces

Independent left and right eye focal adjustment

Supports side-by-side 3D video for PC gaming

Connects to PC VGA or DVI port & USB2.0 ports

Head tracker with drift compensation

VR Manager software (digital download)

$599.99

And this one

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/696899.html

This is what I have been waiting for. This is a 1080 display with 2D/3D support. It is USB powered. And here is the best part. The display is SEE THROUGH. This is important because traditional displays (displays you can not see through) block your view from your sim equipment. This way you can see your keyboard, hotas, and other equipment. This also has the benefit of letting you use other monitors (TeamSpeak, Helios, Xfire).

These "transparant" displays seem to be where this technology is going. I for one am very excited.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just had a super funny idea. You could just mount a projector to your helmet. HA HA HA HA. At least the wieght would be more centered

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need to see if you can make any part of that idea patentable!;)

Of course, step one is to get it down to a size where bolting it to a ceiling beam is not required.:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

More bungie from the roof will distribute the weight a little more, have to play around with lengths of bungie to see if the whole kit can be made 'bouyant'

Fantastic mate, I love it

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, i5-2500k, 16GB ram, HD5870.

Lockon, Flaming cliffs 2.0, Blackshark, Blackshark 2, DCS A10.

You need to see if you can make any part of that idea patentable!;)

Of course, step one is to get it down to a size where bolting it to a ceiling beam is not required.:D

walker450 ! I really, really like this idea!! Hats off!

And I was thinking the whole morning about how to get it lightweight....

and I came up with this:

Headmounteddisplay-2.jpg

As maybe some of you know - I'm working since nearly one and a half year to get this working: spherical dome made out of satellite dishes - but it is very cost-intensive... and my man-cave will be turned in to a children's room the next months...:)

And I see this Head-mounted-projection as a real alternative to my planned build.

Edited by PeterP

How is it when you need to type on the KB or if you have panels. My wife wouldn't let me live something like that down. She already thinks I'm crazy. But the other day she surprised me, I was talking to the guy I bought the cougar from and I looked over at her and she was smiling. I ask her way, I thought was was going to make fun of me, she said she loves hearing me talk like that......I still think she was joking.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Thanks for all of the comments!

Yes, my wife took the video. She just laughed when I showed her the contraption.... she wasn't surprised though. She has come home before to see me with a shovel next to the house... digging a 4 foot deep hole to experiment with a geothermal water loop to cool my CPU (when I was into over-clocking). After that, there are no surprises. :)

I'll experiment some more with the bunjies. The goal (of course) is for it to be "buoyant" as mentioned. This will require a rather complex system hanging from the system. It must effortly allow the contraption to move left, right, forward, and back. Furthermore, the bunjies must have just the right amount of tension to allow up and down movement with minimal effort.... I'm not sure how this will work out, and still remain simple.

Great idea Peter! You should build a prototype!

I recommend an HMD (Head Mounted Display).

Thanks for the links! I have looked into both but have decided to wait until a much higher resolution is available. I don't mind paying in the $500-1000 range, as long as the res. is adequate.

PS-I have been on the mailing list for the SiliconMicroDisplay ST1080 HMD. :)

I think this is one of the coolest things I have ever seen;

http://www.xheli.com/aepivifiviwh.html

obviously this is different than what you're talking about, but the main component is the headset; "ARV1000-A w/ AVR510 VIDEO GOGGLE Display, integrated with heading tracking gyro control sensor". limited by "640H*480V*RGB" ... rgb? really? but otherwise, awesome.

2600K @ 4.2GHz, MSI P67A-GD55, 16GB G.Skill @2133 , GTX 970, Rift, SSD boot & DCS drive

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all of the comments!

Yes, my wife took the video. She just laughed when I showed her the contraption.... she wasn't surprised though. She has come home before to see me with a shovel next to the house... digging a 4 foot deep hole to experiment with a geothermal water loop to cool my CPU (when I was into over-clocking). After that, there are no surprises. :)

I'll experiment some more with the bunjies. The goal (of course) is for it to be "buoyant" as mentioned. This will require a rather complex system hanging from the system. It must effortly allow the contraption to move left, right, forward, and back. Furthermore, the bunjies must have just the right amount of tension to allow up and down movement with minimal effort.... I'm not sure how this will work out, and still remain simple.

Great idea Peter! You should build a prototype!

Man that's awesome! I make a living by trial and error and experimentation so hats off to you on this one. You should see my shop next time your in tulsa, i have a section just for my a-10 builds :thumbup:

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After only a few tests, I have taken everything apart and went back to my triple 23" monitors. This was only meant as a concept test. It was enough to prove to me that I am definitely interested in a true "virtual reality" environment.

Hopefully technology will catch up in the next 5-10 years and high-resolution goggles/helmets will be available. I would like something that totally take up all of your vision, so you forget that you are sitting in a room, and become "lost" in the virtual cockpit.

I live in Tulsa also. Did you hear they are opening Bell's again. That and Casa Bonita /Casa Viva just won't die.

It wants to live! It wants to liiiiiiiiive!

Oh yeah topic almost forgot.

I would like to see printed panels

The panels would be sold in Aircraft sets or be sold per panel. These would be printed cardboard with pressure switches and a printed circuit pathway on the back (they can actually print circuit paths on paper these days). The thing would be laminated. The panel could have an (optional) adhesive back so you could just peel and mount on your pit. It would have Micro USB connections with a purpose made powered USB hub with up to 8 connections (I assume most aircraft have more that ONE panel after all).

The panels would have numbered buttons and come with software. The same software works for all panels (regardless of set).

Imagine having a cheap panel for your A-10C MFD's or a cheap panel for the left lower side of a Blackshark.

It would be cheap and fairly durable.

Would that be immersive enouph?

Naa that could never work.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Head Mounted iPad Virtual Reality Monitor

Hi,

This head mounted monitor idea could be a real go-er.

Instead of a 24 inch monitor bolted to your head, how about an iPad 2 or even an iPad 3 - which is due out next year with a super high resolution 'near Retina Display'.

The weight is lower than a desktop monitor and it can be placed closer to the head for less overall counterbalancing weight and strain.

The key improvement required is powerful reading glasses which can bring the display into close focus (to infinity) and potentially add some field curvature.

Surely someone can code an iPad app to offer a head mounted iPad display - with image distortion correction if need be.

I would be into that - until someone makes a paper thin OLED display that I can fold around my head and watch in 3D.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...