Flaps control - wish/request

ED? Could we get new key commands that control flaps in incremental way or set the flaps to certain positions(not toggle, that we have already)?

example:

Key1 - Incrementally extract flaps

Key2- Incrementally retract flaps

( 0%<---50%--->100%) I could have full control over flaps with just two buttons or a wheel without confusion.

Key3 - Retract flaps fully (that we have already)

Key4 - Set flaps 50% (halfflaps or combatflaps, you name it) (not toggling!)

Key5 - Extract flaps fully (we have this one already)

Bold text is what I'd like to have in LockOn.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

In lockon f = flaps 50%(raise/lower), shift f= flaps 100%.(lower fully), cntrl f(raise fully).

Yes. But I'd like to control them incrementally using just two commands.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• ED Team
I'm pretty sure they all have it.

Any of them (except of Su-25/Su-25T/A-10A) have not intermediate flaps position.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

К чему стадам дары свободы?

Их должно резать или стричь.

Наследство их из рода в роды

Ярмо с гремушками да бич.

• ED Team
The aircraft with three positions:

Su-25/T, A-10, F-15, Su-33.

This is not true mate. ;)

Giving some citates from dash-1 for F-15:

"Each wing has a two position trailing edge flap."

"The switch is set to automatically retract the flaps at approximatelly 250 knots."

"The flap control switch is a two position switch located on the throttle quadrant."

Regarding to Su-33.

This plane has only two position flaps. Take a look at the left panel of the Su-33 in Lockon (see the attached picture). There are two buttons - yellow and blue. By these buttons you can just fully extend or fully retract flaps.

to all

Regarding to Su-27. Just to clear things.

Su-27 has not flaps. It has flaperons instead. Do you know the difference between flaperons and flaps? If yes you can imagine why you could see "half extended flaps" (on one wing) on this aircraft.

flaps.jpg.402b63aea2f4859abd8768edf563ba23.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are counting differently Oleg. I consider 'up' 1 position, then half flaps, then full flaps ;)

But I see what you mean - some aircraft have fewer flap steps than first thought.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team
We are counting differently Oleg. I consider 'up' 1 position, then half flaps, then full flaps ;)

But I see what you mean - some aircraft have fewer flap steps than first thought.

Exactly. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
In the Su27 Flaps are deployed automatically through the Flyby wire system. In lockon they move to half and full flaps automatically. Same could be said about the real life F-16, which also has a manual flaps button as well.

Flaperons (not flaps) are controlled by FBW only in "retracted" position and if "flaperons auto" switch is on. This additional deflection is a function on alpha.

They are moving automatically to "deployed" (18 degrees) position by momentary command from FBW (gear lever -> FBW -> flaps).

In any of two positions (up or down) they still work also as elerons within +26 - -16 degrees limits from neutral position.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Man,that screenshot for flaps made me sad.I want clickable pit for Flanker :P

I see. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
This is the intermediate Su-27 flap position thats not in the game.

Ohhh... :icon_hang

Su-27 has not intermediate flaperons position. Period.

Just compare angles of flaperons deflection between left and right wings. And you will see that it is just left bank was aplied by the pilot. This is flaperons, not flaps.

BTW. This is not Su-27. This is one of it's derivatives - aircraft wich was used for test flights. Don't you see the refueling probe in the nose?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Another photo of the same bird.

SU_p.jpg.b5e465f234ec8d124df38af826ac01d0.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Are the Flaps in the Su27 set manually for takeoff or are they automatic like the F-16? And for landing are they able to lower automatically by using a landing mode in the FCS when the gears are down?

No they are do not set automatically for takeoff. About landing... we did automatic deploy for them as we met this logic in one of our sources. But there is not such function in the Su-27SK flight manual. So I guess that it could be dependent of production 'block' of the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I think it's a pic of the Su-27P, still all part of the same big happy family.

Yes it is Su-27P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I know I keep bringing this up but have a look at the two screenshots below.

ScreenShot_312.jpg

Me set up for takeoff and......

ScreenShot_352.jpg

The AI set up for takeoff.

I know I'm in the 27 and the AI is in the 30 but it's still the same wing. I can only move my flaperons full up or full down. They also automatically go full down when the gear is deployed. Yet the AI can still get this mid position at of around 15 degrees. I press the F key, shift+F, ctrl+F and alt+F trying to get the same flap position, thinking these commands might do it, lol.

I know the flaperons are automatically controlled by the FCS during flight and the flaperons position themselves acordingly. I have even posted a pic of a real Su-27P with this mid flaperon position and I have watched many Su-27 videos and have seen this position also. What I have never seen however is real Su-27 using the full down flaperon position for takeoff or landing, only when maneuvering in the auto positions.

So I have come to the conclusion that it is a similar bug to the F-15 intake error where the AI F-15 intakes go down all the way while the player intakes move only very slightly up and down. And I know for a fact that when an F-15 is on the ground with the engines running the intakes must always be deflected in the full down position and not almost fully up like the player aircraft except in the case when the engines are switched off.

I know the intake error is a long running issue and that ED will never fix it but can the flaperon issue with the Flankers except the 33 be confirmed.

And also, if anyone can post a pic of the player Su-27 with the flaperons in the mid position and not a screen captured while the flaperons were in transit, I'd love to see it.

I know I keep bringing this up but have a look at the two screenshots below.

The AI set up for takeoff.

I know I'm in the 27 and the AI is in the 30 but it's still the same wing. I can only move my flaperons full up or full down. They also automatically go full down when the gear is deployed. Yet the AI can still get this mid position at of around 15 degrees. I press the F key, shift+F, ctrl+F and alt+F trying to get the same flap position, thinking these commands might do it, lol.

I know the flaperons are automatically controlled by the FCS during flight and the flaperons position themselves acordingly. I have even posted a pic of a real Su-27P with this mid flaperon position and I have watched many Su-27 videos and have seen this position also. What I have never seen however is real Su-27 using the full down flaperon position for takeoff or landing, only when maneuvering in the auto positions.

So I have come to the conclusion that it is a similar bug to the F-15 intake error where the AI F-15 intakes go down all the way while the player intakes move only very slightly up and down. And I know for a fact that when an F-15 is on the ground with the engines running the intakes must always be deflected in the full down position and not almost fully up like the player aircraft except in the case when the engines are switched off.

I know the intake error is a long running issue and that ED will never fix it but can the flaperon issue with the Flankers except the 33 be confirmed.

And also, if anyone can post a pic of the player Su-27 with the flaperons in the mid position and not a screen captured while the flaperons were in transit, I'd love to see it.

If I've understood this correctly, any mid-position is NOT set manually.

Meaning - while flaps up is selected, the FBW computer can increase flaps temporarily without human input to get more lift from the wing at high alpha.

As such, there's no way the RL pilots can deploy intermediate flaps anyway, so we shouldn't have the option.

I think.

It being shown for the Su30 is a different issue, and I suspect related to the simplified way the AI deals with this sort of thing rather than the flap/intake display.

There is a version of the intake problem with the Flankers, sure . . . . . but it's manifested by FULL flaps being deployed on the AI aircraft, not intermediate.

• Like 1

It's just that if you watch any Flanker related video from patricksaviation.com you will see that the AI in Lockon are visually correct with their flaperon positions. I just find it strange that it is different for the player Su-27. IRL the Su-27 have one flaperon position for takeoff and landing after that the FBW computer has the control to deflect the flaperons all the way should the need arrise.

It just that seeing as ED have access to the flight manuals and the odd test pilot, well..... am I barking up the wrong tree here?