Greasing up the Warthog

Will do :-)

The extra 10 just makes it feel better that the product is now more expensive than the shipping :music_whistling:

Thanks all!

I will clean out my gimbals and apply this when it arrives.

I will clean out my gimbals and apply this when it arrives.

That is a plus. I hate it when shipping is more than the product. :cry:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

Yea, I'm using 44M. I think the only difference is that 44M is thicker than 30L so it should hold on longer under pressure on the gimbal.

Finally Paypal unlocked my account from forgetting my password and trying a bit too many :D

So I will have the 44M.

Estimated delivery: Thu. Jul. 21 - Thu. Aug. 4

That would be a long time without DCS if I were to remove the current grease today and await the Molykote. Do you think I am crazy if I wait until it arrives before doing the cleaning process or can plastics actually break down that quickly ?

• 2 weeks later...
Finally Paypal unlocked my account from forgetting my password and trying a bit too many :D

So I will have the 44M.

Estimated delivery: Thu. Jul. 21 - Thu. Aug. 4

That would be a long time without DCS if I were to remove the current grease today and await the Molykote. Do you think I am crazy if I wait until it arrives before doing the cleaning process or can plastics actually break down that quickly ?

Molykote arrived today.

Opened up and cleaned all parts and applied the 44M spreading it out with a toothpick.

It is smooth now, but unfortunately I have now detected the next thing I need to fix.

Those plastic plugs in the inner gimbal seems to make the stick much harder to move in the up/down (pitch) direction than left/right. Asymmetric stiffness, meh..

Guess some fine grained sand paper is my next purchase but this is good enough for now :-)

Thanks for the tip on the Molykote 44M!

Generally I think I have been lucky with my Thrustmaster warthog when it comes to feel and stickation... either that or every one else is a little more fussy than me.

but for sure I want the bearing better, I am eagerly awaiting the next mod to come from the hard core sim group concerning the warthog stick gimbal (MFG perhaps?).

In the meantime I have had the Lewmar Geargrease ready to go for a year now but never got around to using it.

For sure a fine sanding of all rough parts is required but is the Lewmar gear grease still a good grease for the Hawg or is there better?

Also there was a Teflon (?) ring that was a replacement for the thrustmaster silicon O ring... is this still available and was it a true upgrade?

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I too never had an issue. Or I'm not as fussy like RogueTrooper mentioned. Or it could be because I replaced the main spring on day one.

But as I point out, it's probably 10-1 at a minimum in terms of people who post with problems vs people are content.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I too have had generally good success with my Warthog. The stick has never been greased, never have even taken it apart, and it still peforms very nicely for me. Really loving it with the added extension on it. I got my Warthog setup not long after the initial release, so have had it a few years now.

My throttle did die on me recently, one day it was just no longer recognized no matter what I tried. I like the setup so I ended up ordering a new throttle to replace the dead one. This was the one and only issue I have had with this setup.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think it is hit and miss:

I have had to sand and re-grease my newest WT stick since it had sticktion from the beginning, on both axis even.

Before that I had a second hand one that is much older, but fine and smooth.

My friend also have a set he bought some time before me, his stick has no sticktion either.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Wait until you try a joystick with a "proper" gimbal like the VKB Black Mamba/Gladiator Pro/Gunfighter or Baur Flightstick.

You'll see what you've been missing! I was all too happy to say goodbye to my Warthog.

Wait may be the key word there.

As I understand it - Black Mamba no longer available, Gladiator Pro not yet available ( hopefully Aug), Gunfighter is delayed with no date as of yet.

I am very interested in the Gunfighter with extension, to use my Warthog grip on, so am keeping an eye for any news on it...

Until then, I am very happy with my Warthog setup.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wait may be the key word there.

As I understand it - Black Mamba no longer available, Gladiator Pro not yet available ( hopefully Aug), Gunfighter is delayed with no date as of yet.

I am very interested in the Gunfighter with extension, to use my Warthog grip on, so am keeping an eye for any news on it...

Until then, I am very happy with my Warthog setup.

I just ambled a across this thread.

I had a very slight stiction on a fairly new Hog

I greased mine using Tamyia Cera HG model grease which is for the small nylon gears in model motors etc:

I had to clean all the old grease off first which was a real pain as it's very sticky. The old grease seemed very sticky and did not IMHO provide good lubricity

The end result is night and day I thought the stick was good before but after the greasing its so much smoother. You gotta try it and the only difficult part is splitting the ball

I bought an 8cm extension then greased the stick and it was a totally different piece of hardware. So much more precise and usable

On another topic I have a FBM and just got the extension today. I would check at VKB's forum but I do not think that you can install the Hog handle with the extension. It is worthwhile checking prior to shelling out of money involved.

That said the VKB Fat Black Mamba is another level above the warthog being so smooth and more precise. Again its something you really will never know about until you try it.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=b08e1064013d7fa6ad15cd9518602885

The VKB software is very powerful but not that intuitive and the manual is only available in Russian. However through a few threads and a guy called Victorus who is a Guru I started to pick it up and can now make the software do the stuff I need and a lot I don't. Just be aware its not difficult but its not a "lead you by the nose" piece of software like the Target GUI (and God knows that has some real limitation too)

Sokol if he posts up is guy well worth listening too, he really knows his hardware

Just thought I'd pitch in

I've noticed some slight stickiness as well although have not used it too much. Damn it Thrustmaster :doh:

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

That said the VKB Fat Black Mamba is another level above the warthog being so smooth and more precise. Again its something you really will never know about until you try it.

That is fine, but unless the product is available it is difficult to try it...

I will be looking forward to see what comes once the Gunfighter sees a release.

Don B

That is fine, but unless the product is available it is difficult to try it...

I will be looking forward to see what comes once the Gunfighter sees a release.

I know what you mean having ordered the FBM in November or there abouts last year and the mods for the extension and Hog adapter in January

I got the stick & hog adapter around 10 weeks back and the extension today

Its just a (frustrating) fact of life with small volume producers who despite having pretty steep prices are in big demand due to the high quality of their products. It generates large demand in the simm world.

They produce in batches so you just have to decide then wait, watch and come the time jump on it, hesitate and the products sold out.

I think I waited about a year before placing my pre-order for the Mamba before it became available.

On the plus side if you buy and don't like when selling second hand you'll usually get nearly all your money back.

• 1 month later...
how to remove pegs that hold the inner gimbal?

i need help in removing these pegs.. i've tried the 3mm allen key, and used all my strength and it wont come out. i dont have one of those tools either. any ideas?

I used an Allen key that was just long enough to rest on the opposite side wall, then I could use it as a lever to push the pegs out.

Otherwise maybe a flat screwdriver behind the Allen key and use that as a lever?

Edited by Sporg

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

• 1 year later...

I will probably take mine apart around Christmas and sand and regrease properly. I wonder, maybe one could actually give it a harder, smoother surface by applying a coat of epoxy resin on all touching surfaces. Provided it would not squeeze and adhere properly on a roughened plastic surface, the new epoxy coating would make a very smooth and pretty strong hopefully scratch resistant surface. Not completely sure whether epoxy might corrode the Warthogs plastic and whether all that work pays off in the end.

@Sporg ...congratz to your next message!

Edited by sc_neo

I wonder, maybe one could actually give it a harder, smoother surface by applying a coat of epoxy resin on all touching surfaces. Provided it would not squeeze and adhere properly on a roughened plastic surface, the new epoxy coating would make a very smooth and pretty strong hopefully scratch resistant surface. Not completely sure whether epoxy might corrode the Warthogs plastic and whether all that work pays off in the end.

@Sporg ...congratz to your next message!

Not knowing the actual dimensions of the parts, and the stackup tolerances, I'd be very leery of applying a coating of epoxy resin on the surfaces. Depending on the tolerances, you could end up with a very expensive paperweight.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Not knowing the actual dimensions of the parts, and the stackup tolerances, I'd be very leery of applying a coating of epoxy resin on the surfaces. Depending on the tolerances, you could end up with a very expensive paperweight.

Agreed. I would just sand it smooth, slap a bunch of Nyogel 767a on it, and call it a day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• 4 weeks later...

how do you clean up the throttle quadrant? I am collecting dust on the throttle well walls all the way down to the bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Hate to be controversial here, but I have had my Warthog for years, and never had an issue with sticktion or the least need to grease it. That is after a total of in excess of 1000 hours of use.

I often wonder if there is a perception of issues because of some genuine cases making other people assume they also have a problem.

A simple remedy may just be to get stick extension tubes, and to leave the internals well alone.

Just a thought...

Hate to be controversial here, but I have had my Warthog for years, and never had an issue with sticktion or the least need to grease it. That is after a total of in excess of 1000 hours of use.

I often wonder if there is a perception of issues because of some genuine cases making other people assume they also have a problem.

A simple remedy may just be to get stick extension tubes, and to leave the internals well alone.

Just a thought...

I have a 15cm extension from Sahaj. I have never had any issues before or installing it with "sticktion", and I got my WH back in 2014.

That said, damping grease completely changes the feel of the stick, so I feel it is two different conversations. The first is reapplying a "regular" grease like the guy above referenced. In that case, no, there really isn't much of a point and won't feel much different if you don't have issues with sticktion. If you do, it would help. The second is regarding Nyogel 767a, it totally changes the feel of the stick due to it's damping properties regardless of if you do or don't have sticktion issues.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Just a thought...

I'm in the same boat as you NeilWillis. But Dburne mentioned that he had to buy a more recent WH and felt the sticktion. So it could be a manufacturing moved to a different location or some QA problem.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 1 month later...