DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

You mean the ground texture in the last screenshot? It appears to be normal mapped.

i wasn't referring to that. read what i was responding to and look up what mipmap means.

there is no change to the terrain mesh, otherwise shadows wouldn't work properly from a distance. the reason terrain looks less detailed in the distance is because the texture has been mipmapped.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't referring to that. read what i was responding to and look up what mipmap means.

there is no change to the terrain mesh, otherwise shadows wouldn't work properly from a distance. the reason terrain looks less detailed in the distance is because the texture has been mipmapped.

I'm sure though that at some point LOD's have to be built into the terrain mesh to keep performance up... Luckybob, correct me if I'm wrong.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Always best to search because some people will no doubt say "use the search function"

BUT. Expect a few airfields. Nellis and area 51 have been in screenshots. Square mileage, ummmm, big? But not crazy big. I was going to compare it to the Black Sea map, but its not exactly the same because the Black Sea map is more rectangular since you have the ocean as a limiting area, where as Nevada can be thought of more of a square. As far as cities, its Nevada, not California or Arizona :) the biggest one to expect would be Las Vegas.

Thank for the response Bob. I was trying to do a rough comparison also to the Black Sea map. My thinking was since Nellis and Las Vegas being tucked down in the southern point of Nevada being near the border of those 2 states that it may be a possibility to consider the 2 cities that I mentioned. Considering the Nellis Airbase being the central point of the Nevada map. Please don's slap me too hard for my assumption.

map1.thumb.jpg.c3a8c095e0cf1fee7668ac8437909a3c.jpg

map2.thumb.jpg.8d47a3e65919a8523eb4f26ca62945f6.jpg

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

I'm sure though that at some point LOD's have to be built into the terrain mesh to keep performance up...
The terrain mesh in DCS appears to be static (and rather undetailed). The detail is the same up close as it is 20 miles ahead ...

Outtera has a dynamic terrain mesh which show much detail (geometry) up close and little in the distance.

Nevada Training grounds map

area_51_map_small.png

The terrain mesh in DCS appears to be static (and rather undetailed). The detail is the same up close as it is 20 miles ahead ...

Outtera has a dynamic terrain mesh which show much detail (geometry) up close and little in the distance.

Outerra has a graphic motor only........

I'm sure though that at some point LOD's have to be built into the terrain mesh to keep performance up... Luckybob, correct me if I'm wrong.

Im not sure how much I can actually say, but this would seem like a good idea to include... The current Black Sea map has LOD's for the ground. I think currently they just switch between texture size, but there should be no reason why it could not do geometry as well since it is just a different model. Did I give away enough hints?

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

there is no change to the terrain mesh, otherwise shadows wouldn't work properly from a distance.
Why not? Check Outtera.

the reason terrain looks less detailed in the distance is because the texture has been mipmapped.
The mip maps could use tweaking. In the current Caucasus map the difference between the mip maps is sometimes too noticeable. (see attached screenshots)

Moreover the distance for the different mip map stages could use adjusting. This could affect fillrate noticeable though.

Screen_120522_220731.thumb.jpg.f8bc1812ada21c0aebdef72d16c6a6fb.jpg

Screen_120522_220737.thumb.jpg.b2ff19a927a58020f51cf5b6eb74e52c.jpg

I think currently they just switch between texture size
That's the mip mapping. Sadly, it's (too) obvious ;) LOD's are ideally designed so that the difference between them is not too noticeably (at least when using high graphics settings). The Caucasus terrain mip map changes are particularly noticeable since they were done manually, there is too much difference in the content. They aren't auto-generated.
Edited by ALDEGA

It is using a different physical texture file for the second LOD. Is that still considered mipmapping? My understanding of a mipmap was a single texture that had multiple sizes on it, and the engine would be intelligent to only pull X amount of pixels at a time

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

As far as I know, you can auto generate them or manually create them (= allows for manual optimization). The different mip map textures can show something completely different if you want. In the case of DCS, they appear to be manually created since there is too much difference.

• ED Team
Im not sure how much I can actually say, but this would seem like a good idea to include... The current Black Sea map has LOD's for the ground. I think currently they just switch between texture size, but there should be no reason why it could not do geometry as well since it is just a different model. Did I give away enough hints?

Will the Black Sea map be updated for the release of E.D.G.E. then?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

It's been said it will not be updated. Too much work.

No - AFAIK the black sea region would have to be started from scratch in EDGE as the current terrain is not compatible - and no it is not just a question of importing 3d models, lots more goes on under the hood besides that.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

As far as I know, you can auto generate them or manually create them (= allows for manual optimization). The different mip map textures can show something completely different if you want. In the case of DCS, they appear to be manually created since there is too much difference.

The early beta Nevada had the same texture but resized to stretch out. I cant remember exactly what it had, but lets say it had a single 1024 texture per tile, the LOD for that would be 4 tiles combine into one, and the 4 tile textures combined and a single 1024 texture. The difference in the mountain that you posted is most likely the noise file not coming through on the distant screenshot.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

Tomorrow morning , probably at -6 UTC

Sorry, cant hold it...

why!!!!! this was classified information. brb need to do damage control!

No - AFAIK the black sea region would have to be started from scratch in EDGE as the current terrain is not compatible - and no it is just a question of importing 3d models, lots more goes on under the hood besides that.

Nate

Your knowledge is correct

• Like 1

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

• ED Team
No - AFAIK the black sea region would have to be started from scratch in EDGE as the current terrain is not compatible - and no it is just a question of importing 3d models, lots more goes on under the hood besides that.

Nate

Just wondering as it sounds like the maps will be quite different once all is said and done (under the hood). Will that hurt the performance of the Black Sea Map with the E.D.G.E. at all?

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Originally Posted by PeterP viewpost.gif

Tomorrow morning , probably at -6 UTC

Sorry, cant hold it...

why!!!!! this was classified information. brb need to do damage control!

:chair:...:badmood:..:cry:... ouch! - my back hurts!

OK,OK... it will be probably something like Tomorrow morning at -6 UTC + several/many Moons.

... happy now? :prop:

• ED Team
Not at all, the black won't be using EDGE, it will stay as it is.

Nate

I thought EDGE was a replacement for the current Graphics Engine, so either the game will use 2 different graphics engines depending on content loaded or I really dont understand what EDGE is lol...

64Sig.png

I thought EDGE was a replacement for the current Graphics Engine, so either the game will use 2 different graphics engines depending on content loaded or I really dont understand what EDGE is lol...

Correct, EDGE will only be used for the Nevada map (and most likely future maps as well) and not for the current Black Sea map, which will use the current engine.

EDGE is the rendering engine Nevada is built upon, it allows the use of several DX11 (I think) features to improve the rendering performance. To take advantage of these features the terrain is built with to a design that uses things like clipmaps etc.

In order for the Black Sea terrain to utilise these features it would have to be completely built again from scratch - this is not going to happen any time soon, if at all. I'll say never.

Nate