DCS World 2.0 and New Maps Discussion Thread

Wags

I guess that means I should stop abusing trees in my P-51, as to not form bad habits.. lol

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another sim, that I won't name, has tree collisions without the ability to turn them off.

A feature the would have been useful when I was starting out. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

"The biggest challenge has been finding the right balance of ground textures between visual detail and map file size."

Bring on the full 26gb, DCS is the only game I need :)

If it's 26GB for Nevada, how much do you think a global map would be, lol.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

If it's 26GB for Nevada, how much do you think a global map would be, lol.

Over 9,000gb?

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

For large forests, which are rendered in blocks in DCS (IIRC), a simple bounding box could be used for each forest section, for both collision detection and vision occlusion. This should limit the performance impact, and still improve gameplay significantly.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, although you may have the problem that even slightly less dense forests wouldn´t produce very convincing results with this method. Still, it´s most likely better than having none at all if it turns out that individual tree collision is not feasible. Or a box in the center of a tree patch/forest area where only the trees at the edges are checked individually. This is something that would also depend strongly on the kind of vegetation encountered on each specific map.

Just as an example, applying this to what is known from the Corsica videos I can´t help but think that with the thin vegetation on those mountain sides would feel even less convincing if it kills you or damages your rotor blades as soon as you come within 30 feet of the ground.

Anyway, can´t wait to move to Nevada as soon as a beta version is available. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

for dense growth area's a single large bounding box would work, for sparse growth area's, you'd have to do individual trees or groups other wise, you'd have Radar/Laser/AI Vision/TGP being unrealistically blocked.

Another bonus of modelling the southern pacific ocean, no land, no vegetation, just ships and planes. :) and Looooots of water.

only problem is it shouldn't stop a T-90 tank.... :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

"The biggest challenge has been finding the right balance of ground textures between visual detail and map file size."

Bring on the full 26gb, DCS is the only game I need :)

Now to celebrate with some Nevada A-10C footage :

+1 !!!

Other modern games have a Steam-Download over 40 GB or are shipped with up to 10 DVD's (X-Plane)... so please don't compress the data too much! I want hi-res-textures and would buy any hardware for it. And a 50GB-download is no problem, 150 MBit/s over cable here ;-)

Edited by tarracta

I have nearly 400GB of FSX/P3D scenery so DCS Nevada won't be an issue. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Seems like I will soon have to get an SSD with min. 256GB just for my DCS installation. Befitting...

Yep agreed. It is on my list now.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Wouldn't be simple to calculate tree collisions only on aircrafts little area?

I mean:

- very lazy update on tree groups (not the single bounding box), just saying, once per second in respect to the aircraft until 500 or less feet from them;

- increase updates progressively as distance reduces;

- when very near ( < 10 feets), start to calculate distance of the tree bounding box;

I don't think that should be so hard on CPU an algorithm like this :D

Or a box in the center of a tree patch/forest area where only the trees at the edges are checked individually.

Hmm, let me think: what if the top of each tree trunk in a forest block is a vertex, and the top side of the hitbox is comprised solely of these vertices? Then you'd only need additional vertices for the bottom edge of the hitbox, which vertices would be the base of the trunks of the trees that are at the edge of the forest block. Hmm, I think I see the problem: too many polygons on the hitbox, right? But if it were feasible in terms of our frame rates, I think that this system would work reasonable well--you'd only take damage if intersecting a tree trunk, which isn't entirely realistic, but still much more so than not taking damage at all, or taking damage when you're only near to a tree.

I watch your chainsaw helicopter, and I raise you mine :D

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

Ka-50 attached chainsaw ? efficient ? LOL

THIS is efficient, and performed with style.

there is still a major issue with current DCS in current state : level of detail.

If buildings and forests (line of sight + hitbox) presence is dependant of graphics details, how can we make propers solo and multi missions ?

the i7 guy will see an enemy right above him (or be popped)

the Core2 guy will pop it 15km away.

i don't get it atm.

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

Ka-50 attached chainsaw ? efficient ? LOL

THIS is efficient, and performed with style.

For that we have the Huey with it's miniguns ;o)

edit: btw I love that movie. talking about style - best scene ever:

Edited by Flagrum

when will people stop with the whole physx shenanigans, it isnt going to happen, and besides look at arma3, a lot of good that did there, absolutely nothing that couldnt have been done with a different API or an in-house physics engine.